Music at the ruins in San Felipe?

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Hi,

It's been 10 years since I lived in Santo Domingp/posted on DR1. I'm planning a trip just after Christmas to Punta Cana. My Dominican wife assures me they're keeping the tourist areas out there open, but I wanted to take my kids into Santo Domingo/Zona Colonial for a couple days. One of the things I wanted to do was take them to the music at the San Felipe ruins on Sunday nights. Is that cancelled because of Covid? Is there any life at all in the Zona Colonial? Thanks in adance.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Its San Francisco and it was a monastery. San Felipe is in Puerto Plata, a fortress and not in ruins. Tourist areas (in fact the whole country) is open, but its hard to say if that will be the case after Christmas with the current rise of Covid and tightening measures to contain it. I have no idea if the event at San Francisco is currently taking place.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Its San Francisco and it was a monastery. San Felipe is in Puerto Plata, a fortress and not in ruins. Tourist areas (in fact the whole country) is open, but its hard to say if that will be the case after Christmas with the current rise of Covid and tightening measures to contain it. I have no idea if the event at San Francisco is currently taking place.
I believe he's referring to the live Jazz nights in the Ciudad Colonial, not San Felipe in PP

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Zona colonial is very busy at the weekends, lots of activity on the Conde including live musicians, there is quite a buzz including Sundays. Hotels are very busy at weekends as well. A lot of people are hiring electric scooters and riding them around as well as bicycles.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Right you are, I lived in Puerto Plata for a number of years & got the names mixed up. We stayed in Bavaro & never made it into Sto Dgo. Thanks for the responses.