Musicians who are not legal residents getting paid for gigs in the DR - is that legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
No, it does not. Those are not tourist cards. I asked you about tourist cards that had the potential to allow people to work. So the answer, again, is no. I am not parsing anything. These are VERY different things. And the people I am talking about have none of them. But thanks for trying.

The only thing I can infer from those special permits is that someone would need such a permit (or legal residency in the DR) to play music legally for money in the DR.

I await the legal teams response to my interpretation and to my legal question.
"But thanks for trying" is a non-starter amigo. Don't patronize me. And your constant put off to all the members that answer is --------
If, you don't know the answer to your prescious question then sit there on your axix and wait for the "legal team" to satisfy YOU.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"But thanks for trying" is a non-starter amigo. Don't patronize me. And your constant put off to all the members that answer is --------
If, you don't know the answer to your prescious question then sit there on your axix and wait for the "legal team" to satisfy YOU.
I would have done so and waited for the official response, gladly, but there are many comments that are off the mark.

I could care less what you think is a starter or not.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I gave the answer in post 17 ..I do not know why everyone is getting themselves in a knot ,,,there are special visas for artists and sportsmen and these expire after a year. If you do not have this special visa and are here as a tourist you are not permitted to work . However there are hundreds of people who are not residents, have no cedula nor residency who work here and nothing is done about it. It is just another law with no compliance.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That's interesting, but looking at a couple of the requirements below, I don't see how this is applicable to the OT in question:

• Multiple Business Visa (NM) or Student Visa (E), current.

• Updated certification of the institution or company that guarantees the stay of the foreigner in the Dominican Republic, notarized and legalized in the Attorney General’s Office.

Reactions: windeguy

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Please stop your off topic posts in this thread. I am not talking about adding more laws. I am asking about existing laws and what could happen to people I know and have discussed this with if they are discovered being paid for gigs while being in the DR on tourist cards.

I personally know two people who live in the DR full time. Both of them enter the country on tourist cards and have no legal residence in the country. Both of them play music for money. There are others who are in the DR as snowbirds on tourist cards and also play music for money. I asked the question in my original post and would like a legal answer from the legal team of DR1. What could happen to such people?
They could be arrested, deported and barred from ever re-entering the country again. They could also be ignored by the governmemt and continue performing their gigs like they've doing for the last 10 years or so without any problem.

After giving it some more thought...
They could also get blackmailed by people on public forums (under the threat of tipping off immigration) who they've had disagreements wih in the past.
:D:LOL::ROFLMAO: (just kidding)

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
If, you don't know the answer to your prescious question then sit there on your axix and wait for the "legal team" to satisfy Y

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
That's interesting, but looking at a couple of the requirements below, I don't see how this is applicable to the OT in question:

• Multiple Business Visa (NM) or Student Visa (E), current.

• Updated certification of the institution or company that guarantees the stay of the foreigner in the Dominican Republic, notarized and legalized in the Attorney General’s Office.
Actually it does answer the question. Working on a tourist visa is not permitted.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I gave the answer in post 17 ..I do not know why everyone is getting themselves in a knot ,,,there are special visas for artists and sportsmen and these expire after a year. If you do not have this special visa and are here as a tourist you are not permitted to work . However there are hundreds of people who are not residents, have no cedula nor residency who work here and nothing is done about it. It is just another law with no compliance.
Correct I too found the page regarding special VISAs for artist etc. I didn't post it because mi fren has an attitude. I don't post to people that want to argue all day long when they THINK they know the answer anyway.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Actually it does answer the question. Working on a tourist visa is not permitted.
There must be a lower limit where they don’t care. Like almost any business activity. Different if it’s Daddy Yankee performing at the cerveza Presidente Festival.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is the legal forum. Mr. Guzman will answer soon enough. In the meantime, I'm sure there will be more inane and irrelevant posts.
Read the post right above this one # 70 and you can figure out quickly who is making the inane and irrelevant posts...............

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Windeguy, It would be quicker and more efficient to call Guzman to get your answer.
Or, perhaps put yourself in the shoes of a manager of a hotel lounge like Hard Rock, or a promoter of a concert held in DR, or a large venue of music. All of the artists are here for a real short period of time. How do I make all this kosher and not have people questioning what is legal and not legal.
That's the way I searched the question asked by one of our members this morning. And as Mr. Kippling and I have already stated, long before we hit 70! posts, the answer is available on the internet for all to see.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Is it legal for musicians who are in the country on tourist cards to work, play music, and get paid for that as musicians in bars and restaurants in the DR?
Just one question, if you already know the answer, why are you asking? The answer is clearly a big fat NO, it's not legal. But it's also not legal to drive a moto without a helmet, run a red light or even stay here after the 30 days visa. But does the government care? Also big fat NO. And you already know that , so this is just another thread only to create a debate.....

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
I know a few of the evildoers in question and most of them play for joy of making music, not for the $20 bucks a night. They network a lot, get along very well together and form new bands weekly, just for the fun of it.

If one were to pursue legal action, it would just be another money maker for the authorities.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just one question, if you already know the answer, why are you asking? The answer is clearly a big fat NO, it's not legal. But it's also not legal to drive a moto without a helmet, run a red light or even stay here after the 30 days visa. But does the government care? Also big fat NO. And you already know that , so this is just another thread only to create a debate.....
Because I want an legal opinion. I have my reasons for that.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know a few of the evildoers in question and most of them play for joy of making music, not for the $20 bucks a night. They network a lot, get along very well together and form new bands weekly, just for the fun of it.

If one were to pursue legal action, it would just be another money maker for the authorities.
And there is zero wrong with that if they didn't get paid and just played for the joy of it. I completely understand the joy of playing music.
But, If they do get paid, we have come to the almost certain conclusion that illegal aliens, or even those within the first 30 days of a tourist card when they are still legally in the DR, cannot get paid legally for gigs, The amount they get paid is irrelevant.

Many, including myself, think that it is unlikely anything will be done regarding these wandering minstrels, Just because they "get away with it" it does not mean
it is correct, no matter how much they "network" and "enjoy" the fun of it. Believe it or not, there are musicians who can legally work in the DR that do rely upon gig money to make ends meet, and they are undercut by those who are not legal to work.

I play because I enjoy music, but I will not do it for free unless it is for a charity event. We used to play for the dog charity, but they no longer have their festival for some reason.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Or, perhaps put yourself in the shoes of a manager of a hotel lounge like Hard Rock, or a promoter of a concert held in DR, or a large venue of music. All of the artists are here for a real short period of time. How do I make all this kosher and not have people questioning what is legal and not legal.
That's the way I searched the question asked by one of our members this morning. And as Mr. Kippling and I have already stated, long before we hit 70! posts, the answer is available on the internet for all to see.
it's a massive jump from a production at Hard Rock or an auditorium in Santo Domingo to a 17-seat bar in Cabarete with two kids sitting outside offering shoeshines or flip-flop cleaning. Is Alan Dershowitz a member here?

• Wow

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
https://drlawyer.com/ here you go. I guess it's easier to contact them directly 😉
There is nothing really easy about that. Guzman is not going to answer legal questions over the phone. You'll have to make an appointment, although the first consultation is free. Anyone who has been on this forum any length of time knows that Guzman does answer questions here fairly quickly.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.