My attempt to get Residencia Definitiva not going well

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The real ''problem'' is that RD is loosing serious investment dollars by making immigration/residence/and Citizenship so convoluted through the due process which is fragmented and totally unacceptable procedural inefficiencies.
The theory is excellent; but that is where it stops.

To be fair, lots of countries have needlessly long and convoluted residency procedures. In many cases, a significant part of the delay is the volume of applications that need to be processed. The two most important aspects of the process (proving who you are and how much $$$ you have) are also the most arduous to document to the degree specificity and legalization required.

I complain about the process here in the DR but suspect I would complain just as much about the process in other places.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Residency card starting May 27,2004 has been discovered

Breaking News: Back in the archives my actual Residency Card with a period from May 27, 2004 until May 27, 2006 was discovered by my resident archaeologist (and wife).

This card would appear to be a Temporary Residency card because of the two year duration.

The question is, how many Temporary Residency cards did they issue back then before you got 4 year renewable Permanent Residency cards?

I recall, perhaps incorrectly, that there was only one Temporary Residency card for two years back then which would mean my Permanent Residency started in 2006, and I indeed have proof of having 10 years of Permanent Residency. I hope they can remember at least that detail in Migracion. Perhaps I hope for too much.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The D.R. driver's license number is the same as your cedula number also.

Have any "old" copies of them?

I had a DR driver's license issued that was never in "the system" when I went to renew it 6 years later. That piece of plastic was not discovered by my archaeologist. Turned out it was a fake license that worked anywhere I used it. :laugh:

Having my actual residency card from May of 2004 should be enough proof for Migracion. Perhaps on Monday I will know how difficult it is to proceed from that. :alien:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I had my first residency in 2002 and it was then one year temporary and then straight to permanent. In my recollection the permanent lasted 2 years in those days.

And congratulations to wife.

Matilda

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
That 2 year card was permanent.
The card was "Permiso Residencia"

Mine was also dated 2004-2006 and from 2004 to 2018 is 14 years.
14 years is what my approval letter stated I had as permanent.

I believe back then, temporary was only for 1 years.

It messed me up because I wanted to buy a 9 mm, so I had to put it in my wife's name for the first year and then transfer it to me.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
from 2008 -
I recollect that we did one year temporary then a 2 yr... then on to the 4 yrs.

and was pretty easy to get.....

you should be good to go Windy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am not good to go, even with my original residency card from 2004

Returned to Puerto Plata today and found out I am not good to go at all. Even after showing Migracion in Puerto Plata my original permanent residency card from 2004. They went into the back room , came out, and responded that it is not good enough. They told me I have to go to Santo Domingo and speak directly to them, bringing a letter that requests they pursue my case and allow me to renew residency at all. (even a 4 year version!).....

So now I will be taking a trip to my "favorite" city in the DR to visit a different group of primates in a cage to see if it is possible to resolve this situation of data discrepancies. There was no way they could (or maybe would?) help me with this in Puerto Plata. I have no choice but to go to Migracion in Santo Domingo.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Returned to Puerto Plata today and found out I am not good to go at all. Even after showing Migracion in Puerto Plata my original permanent residency card from 2004. They went into the back room , came out, and responded that it is not good enough. They told me I have to go to Santo Domingo and speak directly to them, bringing a letter that requests they pursue my case and allow me to renew residency at all. (even a 4 year version!).....

So now I will be taking a trip to my "favorite" city in the DR to visit a different group of primates in a cage to see if it is possible to resolve this situation of data discrepancies. There was no way they could (or maybe would?) help me with this in Puerto Plata. I have no choice but to go to Migracion in Santo Domingo.

The satellite office are practically useless. Can't make decisions, everything is sent to hq. Might want to try calling first and finding out what department you have to go through and if they have a specific schedule...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Maybe time for some legal help?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The satellite office are practically useless. Can't make decisions, everything is sent to hq. Might want to try calling first and finding out what department you have to go through and if they have a specific schedule...

Trying to call and getting someone to answer if futile. Many attempts have been made to call.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Maybe time for some legal help?

After I visit Santo Domingo, perhaps.

The only way I can see "legal help" being of assistence is if someone needs to be paid off in this situation because data was lost at some point in the past and they need a payoff to ignore their own internal error.

I started in 2003 with temporary residency which was one time for one year, then one permanent residency card for 2 years and then three 4 permanent residency cards. I have the present and first permanent cards, the actual cards, along with a copy of the one just before the current one, but not the temporary card or the second permanent card which was for 4 years. I will have to see in person what is up with what I do have.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dra Ramona Diaz Morfa is my go-to gal in Sto Dgo. This is the general the Cobrabiy and others have used with much success.

As a note, the folks in Migración have my photos from 1962 on file!!

HB

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
the process changes to much that is the problem that,s why half the people don't do it................it's insane...........monkey making love to a football

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was a victim of fraud by the Migracion Mafia

Good luck.

Luck did not play a part, unfortunately. I have been the victim of fraud. There is a mafia of lawyers and staff at Migracion. They take people's money and don't register them into the system but continue to produce cards for them at renewal times. Eventually those people, like myself, who were never entered into the system are told they have to start over. Like I just was.

They even have a set of regulations regarding such people. Almost like admitting they did something wrong but just falling short of that. They call it people with irregularities in their system. Irregularities like issuing all cards and cedulas since 2003, but none of them being legitimate. I was at the offices in Santo Domingo or Santiago when the cards where handed directly to me by Migracion staff. Likewise I went to the JCE offices in Santo Domingo for my cedulas immediately after getting my residency cards.

My irregularity goes back to the time when I first was issued a temporary residency card. I can only assume the lawyer at the time acted improperly. I have not used a lawyer for renewals.

I protested this farce by leaving a letter at Migracion in Santo Domingo. When my wife called today, she heard the two women laughing about my situation.

I have had lawyers confirm this situation in the past couple days. I am screwed. I was told I am not the first one, I am not the second one and I am not the last one they have done this to.

If there were a way to bring them to justice, I would. I have no other choice but to start at the beginning based upon the regulations now applicable to me in this situation.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
That's just shameful.

A person I knew who came to me for advice was bound and determined to circumvent the system as he had some issues that precluded him getting residency easily even though he was married to a Dominican. I told him in no uncertain terms that fudging the system may well get him what he wanted in the short term but eventually there would be an issue and his work-around would probably invalidate his residency if anyone looked closely enough. Sure enough, when he applied for citizenship irregularities placed him back at the start line with no way forward.

In your case Windy, you were a victim of systemic corruption and greed. They could screw you and they did. Now any of us has cause to question the validity of our status.

The icing on the cake could be when immigration asks you to pay the overstay fine when you go home to get your visa...

If it were me (I have no ties here), I think I'd go somewhere else. I wouldn't be inclined to start over as that just adds insult to injury. Clearly DGM knows that you have been given renewals for a decade. The jeffe should be making heads roll and once you supply all of your current documentation this time, you should be granted definitiva. One would think there has to be some agency one can complain to about govt. malfeasance in this country.

A precedent needs to be set or this scam will not end. I am so sorry this happened to you.