My attempt to get Residencia Definitiva not going well

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
You are correct. At the end of the day, the DR process is not that bad.

It's worse then bad. It's horrendous. It's corrupt. It's disfunctional. And it's bizarre. On top of this, they change the rules midstream after they tell you, "It is Ok to cross the stream now!"

Wrong!

I'm lucky that i do not have to go through the process, but i'm watching my girlfriend go through it, and it's insane. Insane!

The entire system is insane...all the way from the driver's license test, to the Temporary Residency, to the Permanant Residency, and then Citizenship.

They tell her to get this and that stamp from the Russian Embassy in Moscow. And then when she finally gets the neccassary stamps or "Apostates", they say, "Oh, we're sorry, the stamp is only good for 30 or 60-days (i forget which), and it's now been 3-days past the limit. You must start over!"

Wait! What? WTF!? Start over?

And then they will say things like this:"Oh, we're sorry, there has been a rule change since you began your process."

She has her permanant residency, and has had it for a long time...this is not about that. This is about her trying to get her Dominican Citizenship.

It's a screwed up system from start to finish. And even the people in the office are confused which rule to follow. It depends on the position of the moon, the tide, the WhatApp message on their phone, their mood, and what fried foods they had that day.

It's a Catch-22 where everyone is arguing (in the office!) about which rule applies to which situation.

Personally, if i had to go through the process, I would never, ever do it. Ever! As in Never ever! Not for one million dollars!

Everytime she goes to SD, and stands in line all day, they ask her for a new stamp that they forgot to tell her about last week when she was there for the 3rd time in one month. She turns around and drives back 5-hours, and then starts sending papers by Fed-Ex to Moscow all over again to get another fuK%$&ng stamp that they keep forgeting to tell her about.

The entire process is straight out of the movie Brazil, by Terry Gilliam. No, I lie! It's 10x worse then the movie.

[video=youtube;dht_3NziwSw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dht_3NziwSw[/video]

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Windy

Re- Fraud

I am told that years ago ... in your day probably... the fraud was so rampant that those fraudulent cedulas that you have were actually issued in the government office.
There was no way you would have known that the proper procedure wasn’t followed.... impossible to know.

Question/challenge now is to find someone who will acknowledge that and correct the wrongs ,for you.

A mess... a real mess

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't see how anyone who is just a Dominican Lawyer not actually in the Migracion Department itself can solve this rampant corruption problem.

WW: My Residency cards were all issued at the Migracion office in Santo Domingo while I waited. Then I went to the JCE office for foreigners where they issued my cedulas.

Frank12, what I found out despite being "sure" I had residency since 2003, is that I did not. If your better half wants to live here, I highly recommend she fight through the citizenship process. A once and for all thing. I woulda, coulda, shoulda done that before.

I told my wife that if I were just renting here, I would probably be looking at another country as a place to live. For me in my situation, I will re-start the process over. I already ordered two copies of an Apostilled birth certificate. What a convoluted process that is from NY State. My home city had a wrong address on its web site for part of the process.

Perhaps related:Another thing the lawyer told me is that Danilo is trying to get as much money as he can for either his "campaign war chest" if he can find a way to run again by getting the constitution changed which is doubtful, or his "parting gifts" if Leonel can defeat his attempts to run again. The lawyer was very confident that Leonel would be elected president of the DR again. All just other avenues of corruption, yet tied together with my case.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just got this email from a friend on the north coast:
====
A little story. My friend Dom works with a woman that has been here forever, she applied for her 10 year residency and was refused...records were lost, her lawyer said she could not help. Long story short, she paid some guy $200USD and now she is all set.
====
I asked if he could find out who "some guy" was....

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Another email just after that one from another north coast friend who contacted his lawyer and the response was:

=================================
Oh yeah I've seen does (those) cases.

Back in the days the fee was very small (compared to the actual cost of the whole process) about USD600.00 they receive a cedula granted as if it was legit, in the actual Junta and everything. That is how corrupted it was. Back in the days the fee was very small (compare to the actual cost of the whole process) about USD600.00 they receive a cedula granted as if it was legit, in the actual Junta and everything. That is how corrupted it was.

===================================
Exactly what happened to me with cards being issued at the Migracion and JCE offices.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I don't see how anyone who is just a Dominican Lawyer not actually in the Migracion Department itself can solve this rampant corruption problem.
Candy Diaz is more than "just a lawyer." She is a general in the Army and a ranking member of the military Supreme Court. Additionally, she worked in migration for years.

While she does not speak much English it may be worth your time to have a chat with her. At a minimum, she may be able to raise the issues with someone who matters in migration.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy

Re- Fraud

I am told that years ago ... in your day probably... the fraud was so rampant that those fraudulent cedulas that you have were actually issued in the government office.
There was no way you would have known that the proper procedure wasn’t followed.... impossible to know.

Question/challenge now is to find someone who will acknowledge that and correct the wrongs ,for you.

A mess... a real mess

I am actually surprised that nobody stepped up with their hand out to fraudulently "fix" my fraud problem. I guess I could not find the man behind the curtain.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They seem to be aware of the problem....you were hoodwinked

The real issue is how they will they address & correct their own former weaknesses

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Frank12, the movie Brazil is such a fit for this. Hilarious. I don't think I ever understand that movie as well as I do at just this moment.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They seem to be aware of the problem....you were hoodwinked

The real issue is how they will they address & correct their own former weaknesses

In my case, with a lawyer checking for me, I have to start over since nobody had their hand out for $200 to corruptly fix the my problem with corruption.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Dra Ramona Diaz Morfa is my go-to gal in Sto Dgo. This is the general the Cobrabiy and others have used with much success.

As a note, the folks in Migración have my photos from 1962 on file!!

HB

What is her contact information?

Feb 7, 2007
Windy I think the cédulas are legit, JCE sends yo up with constancia received from DGM. So I think the cédulas you were getting were completely legit based on "unregistered" constancia.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy I think the cédulas are legit, JCE sends yo up with constancia received from DGM. So I think the cédulas you were getting were completely legit based on "unregistered" constancia.

I have no idea, but as far as I know, you cannot have a legal cedula if you do not have a legal residency. The lawyer told me that Migracion and JCE were both in on the scam. Perhaps the lawyer exaggerated.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Rubio...

scam - scam - scam....

irrefutable .... too many people know it..... including the gov't

Why they don't do a Haitian type 'Amnesty'..... who knows.

These people think/thought they were law abiding residents..... but No..
not the case

Innocent error on their part - poor to no oversight on the part of the gov't.

Who's at fault here ??
The one who got hoodwinked
or
The one who didn't protect the system

easy for me read..........

nekokatt

Feb 25, 2012
Assuming worst case that Windeguy can't resolve this (as both DGM and JCE were questionable during the 'scam' time)
how FAR back can he re-establish officially documented residency? that is, when records started maintained and reliable?
I'm 2011 so I should be fine?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
WW and nekokatt, I have my actual first permanent residency card from 2004, which was valid for 2 years, and of course my current about to expire 4 year card. I spoke to DR1's official lawyer firm today and she explained that she had one other case like mine, so I am up to knowing about 4 others at this point, where there was a similar problem. She explained that if I were to "start over" in my case it would mean one year of temporary residency and then I could get a 10 year residency or apply for citizenship after that. She is going to let me know if there is a way to "fix" the problem without going through that. She said something to the effect that there are so many people who do not understand the law, that mistakes are made. Clueless employees. Or it is just fraud that they can "fix" if the right person "does" the right things.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I hope it works out for you Windy

Getting a lawyer should help..... you need someone who has sway w/ Migracion
Going it alone might not work !!

Pls keep us posted... there may be more of your type in the future

My originals were Guzman ... January 2008 it started
I'm confident I'm good.....

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Wow! Windy, I am so sorry that this happened to you.I can only imagine how you must feel after
being scammed. My advice to you is find yourself a reputable lawyer moving forward and no
matter how long the waiting period do not be tempted to give money underneath the table.

nekokatt

Feb 25, 2012
This goes for ALL IDENTIFICATION, FINANCIAL and LEGAL documents! (including insurance property mortgages etc etc)

You should also have them scanned (to encrypted drive) and copies deposited in multiple safe locations (such as relatives, bank box, and foreign property)

I heard of cases when a person with 5x them residency going permanent was denied because they did not have all years properly counted. To everyone, make copies of your every residency and cédula card, and store in a safe place.