My credit card has been cloned !!!!!!!!!!!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I know that because I was called up to assist once.

When I started on the feet, I met resistance..... and learned why.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
My card, a Chase card, advised me to do this....

Block your main card for internet use. 
They say most thefts go to the internet.... mine was SoAmerica

Use a different card for internet buys.

I have never had a problem since.

Right...and also master card debit now requires me when I travel , to contact them, what country on what dates.......... imagine my surprise on my last flight over here, I gave the flight attendant my card , for some vino and food ,and was told declined? My card was only good that day in the DR, on airplane no mater where the plane is(suncountry) the charge shows a usa location . then I ask for a blanket as the emergency door has a big air leak....I was told I could buy one. plastic card only?? arrived cold and hungry..........Doc...........

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
jd46, it is indeed rampant in the DR, and as I mentioned, most frequently done by people with access to specialized equipment and the information directly from the clearing house in the DR.

I make a lot of purchases on line. I use virtual credit card numbers for this, which is a service provided by my credit card company in the US. They are for use only one time, for a set amount of money, and otherwise expire in two months. No issues at all with such virtual numbers, but they can only be used for telephone or online purchases. They need a way to do this for in store purchases, but have yet to figure out a method as yet.

Windy ......... for store purchases low tech is best...cash.........

Feb 7, 2007
Prepaid cards are great....... but for the dr, not so much.

Places like supermarkets will want to see a cedula ( or ID ), even with a chip/pin number, european style card. The prepaid cards often do not have your name on it.
That said, you can insist to use them ( my example was la sirena. ) but it was a little of a hassle.

This is a non-issue as most debit cards (Visa) issued in the DR do not have name. That's what I have seen in Santa Cruz, BHD, and Progreso. Never had any issue paying with it, not in the DR, nor anywhere else in the world.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
So sorry to hear this as I know this can be so frustrating. The one and only time I had this happen was after using my card at a well known supermarket chain. Kind of ironic since I have used my card in places a little "iffy" but had no problem. I figured well known chain, what could go wrong. Luckily as you I was alerted and all was resolved. My mom had a problem at the former Hilton Santo Domingo a few years ago. Her Amex was cloned with charges of over $8000.00. I know, cash, cash,cash, but I do like to use my cc for the airline miles I get.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
This is a non-issue as most debit cards (Visa) issued in the DR do not have name. That's what I have seen in Santa Cruz, BHD, and Progreso. Never had any issue paying with it, not in the DR, nor anywhere else in the world.

I dont know about dr cards.

My european cards, french, swiss and british, all have my name on them.
On the other hand the pre-paid cards dont. You used to be able to buy them anywhere in europe. No ID needed. Now the law requires an ID when you buy them.
Just the other day, at LaSirena santiago, i wanted to pay with a well-known-swiss-bank pre-paid debit card. As always, they ask for Id, even if its a pin code card. I had to go over, with the cashier, to client service desk, and explain all over again why it doesnt have my name on it.

As another poster pointed out, i use the pre-paid cards for internet purchases, so as not to "corrupt " the main credit/debit card.

Jan 8, 2017
Had this happen to me last July after using my Citicard in La Sirena in POP.  Got a call two days later when someone tried to order $800 US in merchandise online.  They blocked it and I learned my lesson....

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Have I ever mentioned why there is a little town on the Northcoast that I visited twice about 10 years ago and haven't returned? Yep. I was had as well.
Upon returning to the States, 3 days later I attempted to make a low atm withdrawal. Nothing fancy. Declined. Impossible says I. Now again, I'm no rich guy, but a man of rather modest means....beer rather than champagne, but in my older years the grapes are nicer than before....but back OT, I checked with a teller. Declined. I was referred to a desk agent, where I was politely informed that my bank account was drained of $8000 in the previous 72 hours from some location within one of the "Stans". Which one? I don't know, and to this day I can't even spell it. But, it happened. Yes, I filed my grievance/claim, and had to submit copies of my passport stamps, but the money was returned. I chalked it up to experience, and, well, I've never been back to that Northcoast town....but when somebody tells me they're from one of the "Stans", yes, an eyebrow does go up.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Oh, by the way, where are all the "hey, it's great to use your atm/credit/plastic cards" people now? Be careful people. This stuff happens, and it happens all the time. Happened to me years ago, and is still happening now. As you sip your beverage of choice, take a look around. That nice old man, maybe 70+ years old, from one of the "Stans", sitting in the corner.....he's probably the head of an international fraud ring who has people milking your account as we type. Sad, but true.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
When I visit, I take wads of $100 bills and limit my CC use. I distribute them in various places like my cpap machine, cell phone protector, tablet cover, etc.
Need Pesos? Head to Caribe express and exchange it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
With my Dominican CC within a minutes or so of using it I get a TEXT message asking if I used it, and to contact them at .... if it wasn't me. I guess I've been lucky. The only place I've had my number stolen was in Italy and the card was used in Chicago, but the store didn't put it through.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Oh, by the way, where are all the "hey, it's great to use your atm/credit/plastic cards" people now? Be careful people. This stuff happens, and it happens all the time. Happened to me years ago, and is still happening now. As you sip your beverage of choice, take a look around. That nice old man, maybe 70+ years old, from one of the "Stans", sitting in the corner.....he's probably the head of an international fraud ring who has people milking your account as we type. Sad, but true.

I use my ATM card in ATM's all the time. I just never use credit cards here. Big difference.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
The moment you don't think you can be a victim, or it can't happen to you.....you probably were, or it's happening now.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
With my Dominican CC within a minutes or so of using it I get a TEXT message asking if I used it, and to contact them at .... if it wasn't me. I guess I've been lucky. The only place I've had my number stolen was in Italy and the card was used in Chicago, but the store didn't put it through.

My Progreso debit card is virtually instantaneous in alerting me to usage.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The title said it all! After a trip in December/January, my visa debit card has been cloned.
3 fraudulent charges appeared 2 weeks after my return: 1 in the UK and 2 in Dubai totaling 3,000 USD :mad:

I have always used my card in the DR and never had any problems in DR over the years despite the warnings. I withdraw in banks and used it in 2 supermarkets and sometimes restaurants.

I will be more careful next time, I learned my lesson. I should be reimbursed soon, but still, BEWARE !
Been there.

Where did you use it? I got whacked after using a debit card at Ochoa.

My bank, USAA, sends text messages whenever the card is used. And when a suspicious charge appears, refuses the charge and a rep calls my cell.

This security measure has caused a couple of problems when trying to use the debit card, but at least I know they have my back, and the situation is easily and quickly resolved..