My Day at POP

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
While not the DR, my SIL's 13 year Cuban-American niece flew from Miami to Toronto, then to Vancouver with my brother and his 13 year old son. He has a permission letter but they never asked either in the states or Canada. She was using a US passport and him and his son Canadian passports, so I guess the rules apply except when they don't apply them.

Reactions: rogerjac

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
You should not have any problems. If you entered with your kids from Canada and are returning to Canada with them within a reasonable amount of time (under a few months) you should not have any issues. If you are planning on an extended stay (close to half a year or more) with your children then yes you'll need an authorization (prermiso) from the father. Try to avoid this process if the father resided anywhere but the DR. It is tedious at best and a nightmare at worst. It happened to our sister-in-law and her daughter; our nice. If you have any further concerns after arriving in DR I suggest you call Punto Gobierno at *gob (*462) and ask. They usually do a good job providing proper and accurate information.
if you are traveling back in 6months no problems . I do it all the time dont sweat it

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
While not the DR, my SIL's 13 year Cuban-American niece flew from Miami to Toronto, then to Vancouver with my brother and his 13 year old son. He has a permission letter but they never asked either in the states or Canada. She was using a US passport and him and his son Canadian passports, so I guess the rules apply except when they don't apply them.
crazy thing is in the states you don't need the letter to travel but in DR you need the letter to travel outside of 6months of entering

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Leaving the UK in 2016 I was not asked for any permission for my nephew. I had the recommended letter signed by his parents, but was never asked to produce it.

My husband went ahead of us to the DR last fall and leaving Canada travelling alone with my kids I was not asked either, but carried it just in case. We returned together so I’ve never left the DR alone.

Thanks to this thread and helpful posters we’ll be prepared and not have trouble in POP.

Jan 8, 2017
My experience was different perhaps because the minor (child, while holding a DR passport and is still a citizen of the DR) is also a permanent US resident. That may be the differentiator.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Yes, this is the differentiator. If the minor children are permanent residents of another nation, the legal exit permit from migration is required for the initial exit. As the children and parent travel back to the DR, additional exit permits are not required as long as the stay is less than 6-months. My wife and children are permanent US residents and have recent experience with the process.