My Day at POP

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Or maybe as the OP stated that the stamp was from March/July 2019, and at least to my understanding, if they even have such a system in place in POP it's fairly new. So in that case it was probably not even implemented 3 years ago. I'm thankful that I've never had to worry about that, as I've always been legal here and now a citizen. 😃
I don't think there's any doubt that the stamps were there. The question was - why didn't the computer catch it? I remember reading that POP was the last airport to implement the system, so maybe that is the reason(?). I have residency, so I don't have to worry about that either.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Update....arrived at airport with permission to travel from the mother, notorized. Not good enough, different day different people different rules. In addition to what I have I need a permission from immigration as well, this in PP. So my kid must stay while I go alone.

As by now Im the last person to check in again through immigration I show my receipt from the previous week. I mention that I was overcharged, he pulls my profile up on the screen and wham there is my last entry. Yep he agrees and show the supervisor who looks at it and says to the other that there have been several complaints about this girl. She comments as to why she didn't scan my passport instead of visually looking for the entry stamp.And what about my 5000 pesos over payment, a shrug of the shoulder is all I get.

So now I will get new custody papers signed by the mother, take to the family and children's court, reviewed and signed by a judge. Then to immigration in Puerto plata for their permission and hopefully never have to go through this mess again.

While I was in canada my daughter was on my arrive canada form as unvaccinated even though her passport was not scanned they would send an email everyday asking for a health question. As always one hand has no idea what the other is doing.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Update....arrived at airport with permission to travel from the mother, notorized. Not good enough, different day different people different rules. In addition to what I have I need a permission from immigration as well, this in PP. So my kid must stay while I go alone.

As by now Im the last person to check in again through immigration I show my receipt from the previous week. I mention that I was overcharged, he pulls my profile up on the screen and wham there is my last entry. Yep he agrees and show the supervisor who looks at it and says to the other that there have been several complaints about this girl. She comments as to why she didn't scan my passport instead of visually looking for the entry stamp.And what about my 5000 pesos over payment, a shrug of the shoulder is all I get.

So now I will get new custody papers signed by the mother, take to the family and children's court, reviewed and signed by a judge. Then to immigration in Puerto plata for their permission and hopefully never have to go through this mess again.

While I was in canada my daughter was on my arrive canada form as unvaccinated even though her passport was not scanned they would send an email everyday asking for a health question. As always one hand has no idea what the other is doing.
I'm sorry you were denied exit with your child again but the rules are that you need an authorization from Migración in order to exit the DR with a minor. I posted a link to Migración with the requirement on post #11 to obtain the needed permit when you were first denied. You'll need to reapply for a new permit if you intend to travel out of the DR again with your child 90 days past any obtained permit as the permit is only valid for 90 days. N.B.: Even if you have legal custody and carry with you travel authorization from a Children's Court you still need the 'permiso de salida de menores' from Migración.

Reactions: cavok and CristoRey

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I'm sorry you were denied exit with your child again but the rules are that you need an authorization from Migración in order to exit the DR with a minor. I posted a link to Migración with the requirement on post #11 to obtain the needed permit when you were first denied. You'll need to reapply for a new permit if you intend to travel out of the DR again with your child 90 days past any obtained permit as the permit is only valid for 90 days. N.B.: Even if you have legal custody and carry with you travel authorization from a Children's Court you still need the 'permiso de salida de menores' from Migración.
And that is the biggest problem. Everyone makes up the rules as they go along. The second time I was there they told me that If my current custody paper was signed by a judge that I would need only one immigration permission to leave DR, then she would be free to travel with me as I wished. Do I believe you, the government site, or the people at the airport that will actually let you travel depending on their mood.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
And that is the biggest problem. Everyone makes up the rules as they go along. The second time I was there they told me that If my current custody paper was signed by a judge that I would need only one immigration permission to leave DR, then she would be free to travel with me as I wished. Do I believe you, the government site, or the people at the airport that will actually let you travel depending on their mood.
You can believe whatever you wish but the ultimate authority in DR on this matter is Migración and they clearly state that you need their permit to exit DR with a minor and also:
Original:
4- Aunque uno de los padres tenga la guarda o custodia del menor, deberá traer la autorización de viaje del otro padre o la autorización de viaje del Tribunal de Niños, Niñas y Adolescentes (Decreto 631-11)
What's the permit for?
Es la certificación en la que un padre o ambos, autorizan a un menor dominicano o extranjero con residencia legal, a salir del territorio nacional.

With respect.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
You can believe whatever you wish but the ultimate authority in DR on this matter is Migración and they clearly state that you need their permit to exit DR with a minor and also:

What's the permit for?

With respect.
Let me translate this little part as best I can.
Original:
4- Aunque uno de los padres tenga la guarda o custodia del menor, deberá traer la autorización de viaje del otro padre o la autorización de viaje del Tribunal de Niños, Niñas y Adolescentes (Decreto 631-11)

4- Even if one of the parents has custody of the minor child, you should have permission to travel from the other parent OR the permission from the courts for boys, girls and teens

everything is confusing here and different people and departments have differing opinions on the same subject

Reactions: NotLurking

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Original:

4- Even if one of the parents has custody of the minor child, you should have permission to travel from the other parent OR the permission from the courts for boys, girls and teens

everything is confusing here and different people and departments have differing opinions on the same subject
I know it is frustrating, I went through the same ordeal as you are going through now. Please remember this is the DR, forget the learnt experiences from your country of origin. Good luck to you.

Reactions: rogerjac

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
I agree, this is stupid. But it is what it is. When I've been traveling with my wife and his son (father lives in Germany, and has not had any contact for the past 10 years), what we've always had to bring is the permit from the court (the same papers that show that my wife has sole custody of her son) and the permit from Migration, nothing more, nothing less. And if I'm not mistaken, I think we need to have that migration permit also for our common son when traveling both of us, which is also kind of interesting....

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I think we need to have that migration permit also for our common son when traveling both of us, which is also kind of interesting....
If the minor child is travelling with both parents a permit from Migración is NOT needed. It is only needed when the minor child travels with only one parent or legal guardian. When the minor child is traveling with a single parent Migración require authorization from the absent parent. If he minor child is traveling with a guardian Migración requires authorization from both parents. If one parent is deceased and the surviving parent will be travelling with the minor child the permit is also needed in addition they must have a properly legalized death certificate to obtain the permit. In all cases where a permit is needed, only one certificate ('permiso de salida para menores') is require with only one payment of the current fee (RD$2000 now). Authorization of a single or both parent can be done on one single certificate.

Minors were able to leave DR national territory without prior authorization from the parents or guardians before Decree No. 611-11 was issued. The DR is a signatory to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child adopted of 989. Since Ley No.136-03 De la Protección y los Derechos Fundamentales de Niños, Niñas y Adolescentes doesn't directly address this and to comply with article 11 of the convention Decree No. 611-11 was issued. Section II On the procedure for granting exit permits to minors, Article 124 of the decree creates the minor child exit permit and authorizes Migración in accordance with Ley No. 285-04 (General Migration law) to grant them.

I hope this is of some use in understanding why the permit is required. Most countries that are signatory and have ratified the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child require such a permit. The USA is a signatory but has not ratified it yet and does require any an exit like DR. Canada ratified in 1991 but they have slightly different commitments.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
If the minor child is travelling with both parents a permit from Migración is NOT needed. It is only needed when the minor child travels with only one parent or legal guardian. When the minor child is traveling with a single parent Migración require authorization from the absent parent. If he minor child is traveling with a guardian Migración requires authorization from both parents. If one parent is deceased and the surviving parent will be travelling with the minor child the permit is also needed in addition they must have a properly legalized death certificate to obtain the permit. In all cases where a permit is needed, only one certificate ('permiso de salida para menores') is require with only one payment of the current fee (RD$2000 now). Authorization of a single or both parent can be done on one single certificate.

Minors were able to leave DR national territory without prior authorization from the parents or guardians before Decree No. 611-11 was issued. The DR is a signatory to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child adopted of 989. Since Ley No.136-03 De la Protección y los Derechos Fundamentales de Niños, Niñas y Adolescentes doesn't directly address this and to comply with article 11 of the convention Decree No. 611-11 was issued. Section II On the procedure for granting exit permits to minors, Article 124 of the decree creates the minor child exit permit and authorizes Migración in accordance with Ley No. 285-04 (General Migration law) to grant them.

I hope this is of some use in understanding why the permit is required. Most countries that are signatory and have ratified the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child require such a permit. The USA is a signatory but has not ratified it yet and does require any an exit like DR. Canada ratified in 1991 but they have slightly different commitments.

Great, I just said that I "think" that this was the case last time we left the country together all 4 of us that according to migration 5 years ago we also needed that permit from migrations for our common son, but I'm not certain, that's only what I remember, after all we're in DR....

Jan 9, 2004
Original:

Yes on number 4................and further concurring..............from the Director of Migracion at STI, you need a permission from the other parent/court to take the child out of the country (DR).

HOWEVER, if the child already has been taken out of the country once before (verified by passport stamps out/in) then a further permission to travel is not necessary.........that permission is then presumed............at least at STI.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: Auryn

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Yes on number 4................and further concurring..............from the Director of Migracion at STI, you need a permission from the other parent/court to take the child out of the country (DR).

HOWEVER, if the child already has been taken out of the country once before (verified by passport stamps out/in) then a further permission to travel is not necessary.........that permission is then presumed............at least at STI.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I hope POP is the same.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Nope, every time we have left the country (4 times) with my wife's son, they require that document. And from everyone else that I know where only 1 parent is flying with the child, it's always been the same thing, if you don't have the permit from migration, you're not taking the kid.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Nope, every time we have left the country (4 times) with my wife's son, they require that document. And from everyone else that I know where only 1 parent is flying with the child, it's always been the same thing, if you don't have the permit from migration, you're not taking the kid.
This too has been my experience.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

This has not been my experience at SDQ. My wife travelled twice with our minor son without me and we got the permit both times. She was first denied exit with our son for lack of the permit. We then got the permit and they travelled to USA. Two years later she was travelling was our son again we obtained the permit and she had no issues travelling. I remember specifically asking her did they ask for the permit and she replied yes.

The law requires that any minor residing in DR be accompanied by an exit permit from Migración when not travelling with both parents or legal guardians to be able to exit DR. Have a look at Decree No.611-11 Article 124.

With respect.

Reactions: Auryn
Jan 9, 2004
Well, my experience leaving June 30, 2022 at STI was different then. The current head of migracion at STI is a family friend and I verified with him what I needed...........prior to leaving..........and yes we left without a permission/court doc. All they checked was that there was a prior exit stamp in the passport.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
This has not been my experience at SDQ. My wife travelled twice with our minor son without me and we got the permit both times. She was first denied exit with our son for lack of the permit. We then got the permit and they travelled to USA. Two years later she was travelling was our son again we obtained the permit and she had no issues travelling. I remember specifically asking her did they ask for the permit and she replied yes.

The law requires that any minor residing in DR be accompanied by an exit permit from Migración when not travelling with both parents or legal guardians to be able to exit DR. Have a look at Decree No.611-11 Article 124.

With respect.
My experience was different perhaps because the minor (child, while holding a DR passport and is still a citizen of the DR) is also a permanent US resident. That may be the differentiator.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Great, I just said that I "think" that this was the case last time we left the country together all 4 of us that according to migration 5 years ago we also needed that permit from migrations for our common son, but I'm not certain, that's only what I remember, after all we're in DR....
I did not mean any disrespect to you with my post. Although I addressed your post specifically the info I provided was geared at the forum in general. The info I provided is for anyone that needs it and was looking for the reason why the permit is required. If by chance you felt offended by my post please excuse me and be assured that wasn't my intention.

Reactions: Kricke87

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Prior to 2020 I travelled many times with my daughter with her Canadian passport many times.I always had the custody papers and never was asked for them. Since 2016 she has never been in the DR for more than 2 months. This time she was in country for 3 years, any time over 6 months is considered as returned and must now get a permission de salida from immigration. As has been mentioned some airport immigration personel at different airports have differing ways of interpreting the rules. I have also been told that once they are 14 and travelling with a parent, no permission is needed. Who knows....nobody until you show up and present your papers