My Documents for Citizenship Were Accepted

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
If you are a Dominican citizen you dont require any passport, foreign or local, just your cedula. Americans are treated different than the rest because of the American government requirements for keeping an eye of their citizens banking activities.
Well, tell that to BHD Leon, as they do require it for those born abroad. And looking at some of the requirements for opening a bank account with Banco Popular, it wouldn't surprise me if they also required it.
I do get it, as they are private companies, they can require whatever they want for whatever reason they want. If I can't/won't provide their requirements, then I'm free to take my business elsewhere.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well, tell that to BHD Leon, as they do require it for those born abroad. And looking at some of the requirements for opening a bank account with Banco Popular, it wouldn't surprise me if they also required it.
I do get it, as they are private companies, they can require whatever they want for whatever reason they want. If I can't/won't provide their requirements, then I'm free to take my business elsewhere.
Is you are a US citizen, any bank that wants to do business with the US has to ask their clients that are US citizens for their Social Security number for FATCA purposes. I have no idea why banks do anything else, because the ones I deal with asked only for my cedula and my Social Security number.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you are a Dominican citizen you dont require any passport, foreign or local, just your cedula. Americans are treated different than the rest because of the American government requirements for keeping an eye of their citizens banking activities.
And the US does not use a Passport for that surveillance , but rather the person's Social Security number.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not true if you’re a dual US/Dominican citizen. Mr AE had to bring in his passport. This was for an account we’d had for probably 10-12 years. They locked it for inactivity over 3 months and to reopen it (we had left thousands of dollars in there) we had to go through the same process as a new account.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Used law firm advertising on this page many times.....best way to avoid surprises.....
I avoid lawyers like the plague they are here in the DR. I am very satisfied with the work we did on our own to get my DR citizenship.
The only lawyers I used were because I needed some notarizations done and in the DR in order to be a Notary, you first have to be a lawyer.
In my home country a Notary is just a person with a stamp.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not true if you’re a dual US/Dominican citizen. Mr AE had to bring in his passport. This was for an account we’d had for probably 10-12 years. They locked it for inactivity over 3 months and to reopen it (we had left thousands of dollars in there) we had to go through the same process as a new account.
And the next person who has a similar situation might not need to show a passport (which makes no sense to me at all for a US citizen who is a naturalized DR citizen to do. ) I have yet to show my passport to my bank, but it has only been 17 years.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
And the next person who has a similar situation might not need to show a passport (which makes no sense to me at all for a US citizen who is a naturalized DR citizen to do. ) I have yet to show my passport to my bank, but it has only been 17 years.
When was the last time you opened a bank account? He didn’t have to show it years ago, but he did 2-3 years ago. Laws change.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When was the last time you opened a bank account? He didn’t have to show it years ago, but he did 2-3 years ago. Laws change.
A couple of years ago I was told I would need to present my Social Security information or the account would be closed. Any accounts were opened more than 15 years ago using my Cedula for ID.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
A couple of years ago I was told I would need to present my Social Security information or the account would be closed. Any accounts were opened more than 15 years ago using my Cedula for ID.
I've never been asked that I remember, but I'd bet they asked for it during one of my property purchases and it's on record somewhere.