my dog is giving birth, help!

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
don't know about the goat milk, but most veterinarians keep a supply of powdered dog-agreeable milk

Aug 21, 2007
dv8- Thanks for the play by play reports. I felt like I was there with you! Best of luck to you, the mama, and the pups. Please give us an update today.

Lindaey

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
morning all.
all eight babies and mama are fine :)
small buggers cry and cry, guess they really like to eat, just like their mum. the last one is a bit smaller but full and nice. i will be putting him to the titty if he has trouble fighting the bunch.
we gave fiji milk and puppy food, hope she will eat finally...
thank you all for advice, congratulations and just being there for us :)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
oh dam more dog names required

errr Szarik, kropka,misiu,hektor,kuba,jerek,.....errrrrm lech, karol piotr Im struggling here

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
A few names....

-Belvedere
-Chopin
-Zubrowka
-Luksosowa
-Sobieski
-Miperro!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Lowensky????

I do cast a vote for "Miperro" , it seems appropriate...after all.

Congratulations.

Now, call vet tomorrow to cut tails.
place food bowls near and poo papers far....the poop a lot...

Acira says to feed the momma Puppy Chow, since she needs the extra nourishment.

I think I agree...After all, these are dogs, and they know how to survive..

Congratulations on a successful whelping...so far.

HB

Reactions: Tamborista

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Awwhhh beautiful.......awwh nature.

yes one should be name "miperro" lol

how about "Comot?"............when people ask, what's his name, you respond "comotu" :laugh:

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Congratulations!!!! I am very happy for you and the rest of the family. Please post pictures.:)

Here is some more name ideas: Tusik, Druzhok.

Good luck growing the puppies!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Yesterday was impossible to log in again but I see that mama Fidji has done a marvelous job!

Do let the vet check here if all the puppies are out will you? Since the last was a small one it came from the higher hornes, you don't want a dead pup stuck high up.
And in the mean time you can let the tails be docked also, can wait a couple of day's but the sooner the better.

Also check every pups behind feet for wolves clawes (don't know if its allowed with Rottweilers, don't think so) Its an extra claw higher on the foot and its hanging somewhat loose.
You can remove them yourself if there are a few by just pinching them off on their first born day (bones are still very soft and a wolfs claw hangs just on on some skin for the first two weeks, not connected to any bone) but if unsure let the vet do it.

Put enough newspapers under the pups to absorbe any moisture, cleaning up you don't have to worry about the first two weeks, mom will stimulate their bellies and lick them clean.

Put constantly a full bowl of food, preferably puppy food kibbles for the mom, she will need all the food she can get now to keep on feeding the pups and puppy food contains a lot more fat then adult food.

I certainly recommend to give Calcium tablets to a dog with pups as all the Calcium needed for producing milk, she cannot get out of the food she gets and when the Calcium is gone, she starts to break of here own bones to get the Calcium from there.

I too have done a search for goat milk but not found it. Since my Malinois litter was too big (12), I used the dried powder milk of Royal Canin (comes with bottle) and that works perfectly also. I prefer still the goat milk but no luck with that.

Again congrats to the mama and to you dv8!

Last edited:

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Your suggested names don't exactly 'roll off the tongue' do they, jr??

Can just imagine standing shouting "come here, Gielgud"!!!!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Congrats on the new gang, you won't get lonely for a while thats for sure. I wouldn't worry about the little one, you will usually have a runt of the litter and they usually end up being the better and softer natured of the bunch, so runts are the keeps as far as I'm concerned.
I can't see the point in docking the dogs tails unless you are in it for profit or are planning on showing the dogs at some point(many dog shows in DR?), although I'm aware the breed are still docked by some, maybe most. The dew claws issue is best to wait and see how they develope in my opinion, sometimes they are not a problem and so no need, I wouldn't bother with the dew claws just yet, it is much better to wait until they get spay or neutered and get them lobbed off or broken then while they are sleeping soundly and know nothing, infact some don't have bones and so are never an issue. All this is your decision and not the dogs obviously so what will be will be.

The mother looks very strong so I'm sure they will grow into great beasts. well done and good luck with them all.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Congrats on the new gang, you won't get lonely for a while thats for sure. I wouldn't worry about the little one, you will usually have a runt of the litter and they usually end up being the better and softer natured of the bunch, so runts are the keeps as far as I'm concerned.
I can't see the point in docking the dogs tails unless you are in it for profit or are planning on showing the dogs at some point(many dog shows in DR?), although I'm aware the breed are still docked by some, maybe most. The dew claws issue is best to wait and see how they develope in my opinion, sometimes they are not a problem and so no need, I wouldn't bother with the dew claws just yet, it is much better to wait until they get spay or neutered and get them lobbed off or broken then while they are sleeping soundly and know nothing, infact some don't have bones and so are never an issue. All this is your decision and not the dogs obviously so what will be will be.

The mother looks very strong so I'm sure they will grow into great beasts. well done and good luck with them all.

Its called dew claws in English then, thx! I tranlated it from the Dutch word (Wolfs/wolve -klauw/claw).
I am not in favour for dew claws if not needed (know only one breed where they have to be there and thats the beaceron). It all depends of course what the dogs in future will do but my dogs their dew claws if they have them are removed for safety reasons first in terms of sport or work injuries and second for show and yes, I know, there are not many shows in the DR ;)

As for docking the tails, I too have hesitated to dock the aussies but eventually went for it. Its just my personal preference of course.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Its called dew claws in English then, thx! I tranlated it from the Dutch word (Wolfs/wolve -klauw/claw).
I am not in favour for dew claws if not needed (know only one breed where they have to be there and thats the beaceron). It all depends of course what the dogs in future will do but my dogs their dew claws if they have them are removed for safety reasons first in terms of sport or work injuries and second for show and yes, I know, there are not many shows in the DR ;)

As for docking the tails, I too have hesitated to dock the aussies but eventually went for it. Its just my personal preference of course.

All of my dogs are rescue animals, so I get the luck of the draw.

One has dew claws on her hind legs, and they have been a nuisance. Not only do they have to be trimmed regularly, but they also get caught. Not a good situation, so if they can be removed, the sooner the better.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010

It's interesting that the docking is becoming so much less popular and even many vets in the UK will not do it unless they are working bloodhounds/scenthounds, so you will see more and more rotties with long tails all over the UK now. I must admit it does take a bit of getting used to, seeing boxers, mastiffs and rotties with tails, but I prefer it if possible. I'd hate someone to come along and cut my thumbs off because it made me look prettier, lol:bunny:

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Not a good situation, so if they can be removed, the sooner the better.

Sounds like its already been neutered or spay so you'll have to pay, but vets aren't that expensive in DR. I'm sponsoring a little thing in a new home at the moment and its meds and all it's treatment is still yet to come come to what a 5 minute conseltation would cost back in the UK. Ask me again in 5 years if it's still on meds and my opinion may differ, lol.