my dog is giving birth, help!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
With every litter this may happen, has nothing to do with rotties...

That is why we use a "litterbox" in order to prevent this...

Look at the box, under the topic "abuelos"... here we already removed 3 of the pipes... but normally in the beginning, the four sides of the box have a pipe about 4 inches from the side and the bottom, so the puppies can roll to safety if mother is somewhat careless...

In the UK, this was known as a 'pig rail' in the birthing pen and, as opposed to a pipe, was a small shelf but functioned in the same way so the puppies would slide underneath out of harm's way. Used for virtually every breed as you say as, unfortunately, accidents can and do happen in those early days.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
How do you feel about cockfighting(and I mean the roosters) in the DR?:nervous:

I have been to see it on a few occasions, I get dragged along with the family, I am blinkered to most cruelty I can not actively change, challenge or make any difference at all. I do admit I don't see them as the same as I see lack of intelligence or thought in cocks so it isn't quite as sensitive when watching it. I don't sit and watch it on TV on Sundays, put it that way.

You have to remember I'm used to run sighthouds so I'm not a complete ponce when it comes to animals and hunting or sporting chances of sorts. I just don't support it or are involved like I used to be.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
In the UK, this was known as a 'pig rail' in the birthing pen and, as opposed to a pipe, was a small shelf but functioned in the same way so the puppies would slide underneath out of harm's way. Used for virtually every breed as you say as, unfortunately, accidents can and do happen in those early days.

It's called a "pig rail" because it is quite standard in farrowing houses. Sows are notorious for suffocating piglets.

The term "litterbox" is cute, however, given that in the US it is the name of the box containing kitty litter, in which indoor cats see to bodily functions.

Languages are fun!

dv8, glad to hear the pups are doing well, especialy the one formerly known as the runt.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know the runt is one of the boys (who are all slightly smaller than females) but for the life of me - they all look fat black sausages.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You are doing great dv8, really.....with Acira helping you can't go wrong, she has 19 babies....and all doing well...

HB, with a curtsy!