My DR strategy. What'cha think?

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I didn't know that, that decent girls are not chicas??? a chica is a girl a woman, I guess you women chasers have giving it a different meaning??:rolleyes: But yes calling a girl "senorita" is the best and safest word to use.

Um...maybe not. Senorita means "virgin" in many latin countries, DR included.

I used the term "senorita" and was corrected on more than one occasion as to its specific meaning.

Your best bet would be to use the term "joven", but not "jovencita" as this means you are referring to a little girl and not a young lady.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
How do you check the state of her virginity? :laugh:

se??o?ri?ta<SCRIPT>play_w("S0265400")</SCRIPT>
n. 1. Abbr. Srta. a. Used as a courtesy title before the surname or full name of a girl or unmarried woman in a Spanish-speaking area.
b. Used as a form of address for a girl or young woman in a Spanish-speaking area.

2. A Spanish or Spanish-speaking unmarried woman or girl.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Once, unmarried woman or girl might have equated to virgin, but as Lou Reed said, "Those were different times".

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
How do you check the state of her virginity? :laugh:

se??o?ri?ta<SCRIPT>play_w("S0265400")</SCRIPT>
n. 1. Abbr. Srta. a. Used as a courtesy title before the surname or full name of a girl or unmarried woman in a Spanish-speaking area.
b. Used as a form of address for a girl or young woman in a Spanish-speaking area.

2. A Spanish or Spanish-speaking unmarried woman or girl.

My dear Anna,
this I got from DR chicas themselves, not from a dictionary. And just in case you were wondering no, they were not hookers!!! LOL

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Senorita, mi culo!!!.

In the DR, a senorita is someone who is still a virgin.

MANY senoras want to pass as "senoritas" even if they have more mileage than a 747!.

Nowadays, a senorita means NOTHING as MANY "senoritas" give it away as if the world was coming to an end.

One day, I was introduced to someone in the DR, and I, as the "gentleman" that I am (wahahahahaha), told her: "mucho gusto senorita".

To which she replied: "Gracias por la cirugia" (Thanks for the surgery).

Read between the lines!!.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I've watched some organized b-ball in the deportivo in Puerto Plata. Also lots of pick up games around here too. And NO I don't play - I am seriously vertically challenged...... And NO I am not too old....LOL

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have seen many guys come here with master plans, lawyers, business owners etc but all get involved with some chopa from barrios and think they are with a cream of the crop. Shame but true. I hope this guys doesn't fall for the same trap.
AZB

Tallman1680

On Vacation
Oct 7, 2006
That was my whole point

I have seen many guys come here with master plans, lawyers, business owners etc but all get involved with some chopa from barrios and think they are with a cream of the crop. Shame but true. I hope this guys doesn't fall for the same trap.
AZB

I totally agreed with you, that was my whole point before.

Last edited:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
AZB,

I just don't think it's about "falling." Folks come here specifically looking for that sort of thing, and inevitably find it. Because it's so readily available, they look at themselves in a different light.

Guys who had trouble getting dates back home suddenly feel like world class playboys (same thing with women who are no longer sexually desirable back home, who find themselves with a young brown rabbit on their arm.) And I imagine that's a pretty good feeling. Why spoil it with reality by chasing after a woman who will expect you to 1) already have a command of the language 2) wear pants 3) get and keep a respectable job and/or business, and 4) be able to interact with a social class that prides itself on the same level of conversation and sophistication as other mid to upper class people in their home countries?

Especially if, as I suspect here, the OP will likely come for a few weeks or months, live the life of Riley, and take off once his money dries up. Hope I'm not wrong, but would be surprised if I was.

What will, of course, happen is people who fancy themselves players (when in fact they have no game in their own hometown) inevitably meet someone who is a better hustler than they are.

Shortly afterwards, there's a new thread on the Sankie 101 section asking about their "novio/a."

Such is life in DR - and DR1.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I've watched some organized b-ball in the deportivo in Puerto Plata. Also lots of pick up games around here too. And NO I don't play - I am seriously vertically challenged...... And NO I am not too old....LOL

Hey, pass along the information, por favor!!!!

Where do they play pick-up games in POP?

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
AZB,

I just don't think it's about "falling." Folks come here specifically looking for that sort of thing, and inevitably find it. Because it's so readily available, they look at themselves in a different light.

Guys who had trouble getting dates back home suddenly feel like world class playboys (same thing with women who are no longer sexually desirable back home, who find themselves with a young brown rabbit on their arm.) And I imagine that's a pretty good feeling. Why spoil it with reality by chasing after a woman who will expect you to 1) already have a command of the language 2) wear pants 3) get and keep a respectable job and/or business, and 4) be able to interact with a social class that prides itself on the same level of conversation and sophistication as other mid to upper class people in their home countries?

Especially if, as I suspect here, the OP will likely come for a few weeks or months, live the life of Riley, and take off once his money dries up. Hope I'm not wrong, but would be surprised if I was.

What will, of course, happen is people who fancy themselves players (when in fact they have no game in their own hometown) inevitably meet someone who is a better hustler than they are.

Shortly afterwards, there's a new thread on the Sankie 101 section asking about their "novio/a."

It took you only 30 posts to come up with this? Brilliant. Some people blabber on for thousands upon thousands of posts and never come up with such a succinct analysis. This should be a sticky.

Somebody buy this man a Presidente GRANDE, he deserves it!!!!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Ok I buy you one anyway just to be cool ha, ha but it's still old stuff.

It ain't old if you've never heard it put so well. And the more newbies that read this the better armed they will be.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
It ain't old if you've never heard it put so well. And the more newbies that read this the better armed they will be.

OK no worries I didn't say it's wrong just well known but I agree first time tourists need some "weapons" other than guns.

cuas

May 29, 2006
Darn, I was looking forward to that Presidente....:^)

When you get there PM me, I will ask my sister-in-law to invite one day for lunch but you will have to use the sign language. (no speaka english) They live in la parte oriental. My brother lives in Queens.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB,

Sad but so true. I agree 100%. I have seen many like them, come here with a game plan and leave with complaints.
AZB

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Posted from your other thread....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. Clark
Hey Dre, thanks again for the heads up.

1. Yes/No on speaking spanish. I took it for 4 years in high school so while I have a strong foundation, I am not fluent. Just likely to pick it up quickly.

Didn't you graduate from HS over 20 yrs ago? Best to assume that what you may remember won't even BEGIN to cover it. Start to learn. Today. Otherwise, you'll be way over your head. Tourist-class Spanglish won't be enough. And Dominican Spanish is spoken very quickly and is packed with idiomatic expressions. And that's the "proper" version. Heaven help you if you learn the slang, thinking it's standard. My point: it'll take time to get the lingo.

3. No, I have never been to the DR

Why are you so enthusiastic about moving, sight unseen, to an unfamiliar town in a third world country, especially when you will have limited communication with the locals?

Let me tell you me strategy. I was planning on getting with someone(s) , guy or girl (spanish/english speaking familiar with various areas), who wanted to either befriend me or at least make some extra money while we kick it through out various venues. While I strengthen my spanish skills, I would rely on them to be my "ambassador" so to speak. They'll either make some good side money or get all of their drinks and meals free while we have a good time. Know what I mean? Tell me what you think. I think I'll start a thread with this approach and get some feed back. Good lookin' out.

That's basically the premise of any of the "Fast and the Furious" movies. Those movies, like your strategy, are much more fantasy than fact. And your "ambassador" will likely get side money as well as free drinks and food, with you totally oblivious to what is going on. Meantime, you'll pay gringo rates plus his commission for directing you to the "real" DR.

Look bruh, I'm not trying to rain on your parade. DR really can be a great experience, and I hope you make the most of your time there. But be honest with yourself about your intentions. If you're really just going there to get your mack on (which is very much the norm), then stay on the north coast for a few weeks, enjoy the "local color," and go home.

If you're actually serious about moving there and making a real go of it, then please do the same due diligence you'd perform if you were moving to any new town up in the states.

Visit. A lot. Then visit some more. Make real "non-tigre" contacts. See as much as you can, and definitely learn as much spanish as possible (courses, TV, magazines, spending time in spanish speaking areas with spanish speaking folks, etc.)

I just want to make sure you have a good experience, and your strategy is essentially a sure-fire plan for disaster.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited: