My Recent Trail: A Medical Journey in the Dominican Republic

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Haha ty Paulest I was hoping someone would chime in the short version!!!

Hey Harleys, good that you got the short version, but the long version was an excellent read. Not one for reading novels, but this post held my interest.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Made some significant progress today.

With some support from a high school classmate who became a kosher nutritionist to elderly, Tuesday I bought a couple of long-tipped 60cc syringes and two large bore feeding tubes at a medical supply store in Santiago after my one week post-op doc appointment. The tube isn't perfect, but doable.

Keep in mind I've been living off protein shakes & Boost (yuck...waaay too many carbs & sugar, I'm supposed to be doing paleo).

Tonight I pan-grilled a half of a half of a chicken breast---with grilling spices. Alida had some baked potato left over, so I nuked it. Made some store-bought turkey gravy.

I chopped the chicken up finely and chopped it in the blender. I mashed the potatoes in milk. Then I mixed the potatoes, some gravy & milk in the blender with the chicken until it pureed. Poured it into a bowl. Drew up a syringe-full of the goo, placed the feeding tube at the opening at the very back of my *good* jaw (not an easy task). I hooked the tube to the syringe...and pushed. Refilled and did it again. Three times. I now measure food by the cc. I had 180cc's of dinner tonight.

Well, I'll be darned! It tasted just like chicken & mashed potatoes with gravy!

Kinda messy, but I'll figure it out. I'll probably add some more liquid (gravy or milk) to thin it out a couple of %.

I tried to get Alida to sample some out of the tube, but no joy. She DID like the mash, however. Almost licked the bowl clean.

But this is the first actual food I've had in almost 3 weeks.

And I'm down another 3 pounds...