Naca'n Restaurant; the best meat of the DR

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Bottom line…We will see what we will see. I don’t see how this will “make it”in DR. Most dominicans (who have probably Never tasted real properly aged meat) will resent paying and continue buying that awful meat sold here passing for beef. And which sellers continue to peddle to the unsuspecting..which most people here have to just put up with. Hope this wonderful restaurant will do well But…..I just don’t, right now see dominicans going all out for this upscale restaurant.
The one's with money will be piling in.
It's a status/ showing off to others... thing.

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
The one's with money will be piling in.
It's a status/ showing off to others... thing.
Probably less than you think. Its not a place that gives good visibility (outside the center of the city, no outdoor dining) so if no one can see that they're there, they won't go.

LTDan

Apr 29, 2021
SDQ
Bottom line…We will see what we will see. I don’t see how this will “make it”in DR. Most dominicans (who have probably Never tasted real properly aged meat) will resent paying and continue buying that awful meat sold here passing for beef. And which sellers continue to peddle to the unsuspecting..which most people here have to just put up with. Hope this wonderful restaurant will do well But…..I just don’t, right now see dominicans going all out for this upscale restaurant.
agree somewhat, but their target clientele is not the average Dominican

LTDan

Apr 29, 2021
SDQ
I can get a very decent imported boneless ribeye at ole, approx one pound cut, for a little over 800 pesos; I sauté some vegetables and pan fried spuds and I'm up to maybe 900 pesos; what would they charge me for this?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Probably less than you think. Its not a place that gives good visibility (outside the center of the city, no outdoor dining) so if no one can see that they're there, they won't go.
Instagram. Fey Boo and the lot....

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I can get a very decent imported boneless ribeye at ole, approx one pound cut, for a little over 800 pesos; I sauté some vegetables and pan fried spuds and I'm up to maybe 900 pesos; what would they charge me for this?
Prime meat at Olé? Are you sure it's prime? Are you really sure? Olé isn't a high end supermarket chain. Are you sure you're not talking about apples in a thread about oranges?

This is from whom they import their meats. The quality of the cuts is suppose to be so good, that only the top 2% of meat cuts in the USA can compare.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Ya think?

Maybe laundry is too strong a word. But a lot of these super rich families have made their money due to dodgy government contracts, and I can see that a lot will want to sink it into a more legitimate business given what Pepca is doing. Especially a legitimate business in a very flashy building where they know all the rich people will come and look at them and they can show off how successful they are.

In my experience rich Dominicans often like to flash their money, they're big on authentication. And I hate to say it, but a lot of the richest ones have zero class, so a steak joint will be something they could relate to as I don't expect they've done too much fine dining.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Instagram. Fey Boo and the lot....

Also each customer will cause a massive traffic jam outside with everyone honking their horns while it takes the women 20 minutes to get out of the car in shoes they can't walk in, and have to be dropped right outside the door as they could not possibly walk 100 yards from the car park to the restaurant. So that will draw a bit of attention to the place.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That's what was said to Don Alfonso Paniagua (a Dominican) by Charles Bluhdorn (an Austrian though lived in the USA for much of his life) regarding this project that started in the 1970's and was geared exclusively at foreigners. This place was Casa de Campo. His words were "Alfonso, what is your obsession with the Dominicans?" Alfonso was obsessed in marketing Casa de Campo to Dominicans as useful strategy fir its success. It wasn't that Charles had a thing against Dominicans, that guy was obsessed with the DR. Even Altos de Chavon was created as an artist village meant on being open to the public and creating artisans from Dominicans of humble origins. He went as far as saying he doesn't want this village to become "elitist" or only for the rich. He just underestimated the Dominican market because he simply didn't see it, just like many expats do today. Some things never change.

Anyway, it is said that Charles Bluhdorn further responded to Alfonso by saying "this will be your problem, if you fail it will be your failure."

Today, 70% of property owners in Casa de Campo are Dominicans. Did I say that the main business of Casa de Campo is selling the land? Ahem.

The restaurant business is a naturally tough business, but don't underestimate the Dominican market. Charles Bludhorn was in charge of a multibillion dollar company with business in multiple countries and that didn't stop him from underestimating the Dominican market. Good thing Alfonso was his buddy and persistent, plus knew otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If not Ole, there are quite a few places that sell Omaha steaks, and they're right up there with the Allen Brothers.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Nacional sells imported Angus Meat. A lot better than any Dominican meat.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
So does JUMBO.
Jumbo and Nacional have the same owner. But I go in both places and the selection in Jumbo of Angus is very poor. In Nacional I can have the guy take out the whole slab of NY Angus and cut it the way I want it. Works well.

• Love
Reactions: JD Jones

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
prices seem reasonable for a good steakhouse that is not a franchise. I don't know anything about Allen Bros beef but google says they are good :)

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
gotta say it looks awesome and reasonable prices for the expected quality
Good find.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Prime meat at Olé? Are you sure it's prime? Are you really sure? Olé isn't a high end supermarket chain. Are you sure you're not talking about apples in a thread about oranges?

This is from whom they import their meats. The quality of the cuts is suppose to be so good, that only the top 2% of meat cuts in the USA can compare.
And how is this verifyable?