Nail bar

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
When I used "BARRA" to expain this my friend said that is incorrect translation. Where did I goo wrong?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
They will understand nail salon.

Is there a difference between nail bar and nail salon in English ? I only use Nail Salon but I may be wrong.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
They will understand nail salon.

Is there a difference between nail bar and nail salon in English ? I only use Nail Salon but I may be wrong.
I would think there is. Being, nail bar is a part of a larger beauty salon. Nail salon i think is a small salon just doing nails and maybe a foot and neck massage but no other work that requires a different license.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
From my experience, nail bars (at least in NYC) are just a little more upscale than Nail Salon. The type that offer you beverages (tea/coffee) while you doing your nails, they also tend to offer more type of manicures. They are more personal and need appointment, definitely not part of a larger beauty salon.

There is an OPI nail Bar here in las terrenas, they offer mani/pedi and cosmetic things (eyelashes extensions, etc) : https://www.facebook.com/opinailbarlasterrenasrepdom/

I have been there and there are definitely the most expensive (but quite reasonable compared to NYC, where I have spent over $100 for a manicure 😭).

Reactions: Caonabo

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
@johne

I have never heard of a nail bar until now in this thread. Nail salon, yes.

If someone said barra to me in that context I would not understand at all.

Salón de belleza can be used...for hair, for nails etc.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It s been en vogue for a few years now.
In fact one of the biggest salons in SD uses the words in English. My friend said to me nobody would understand that either other than the those in the Naco district where they are located.
Name of salon is "BLUE" also in English. Go figure.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
In fact one of the biggest salons in SD uses the words in English. My friend said to me nobody would understand that either other than the those in the Naco district where they are located.
Name of salon is "BLUE" also in English. Go figure.
Keep everything im English then, will look fancy... Blue nail bar?

Or Belleza Blue sounds cute too

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Here along the southern tier, these are your typical nail salons that also offer beverages for the customer to partake in (for purchase) while waiting to or being serviced. Beer, wine, or other spirits. Hence "bar". They are considered to be slightly more "upscale" than your regular mani/pedi locations. Just a new spin on an old service.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I just asked a lady friend, and she confirmed what I stated previously, but added that the Nail Bar offers a full visible "menu" of services as well, in addition to the availability of adult beverages able to be purchased and consumed on premises.