National blackout?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
It is a known fact that 10 kWh of inversor power costs anywhere between 12 to 15 kWh depending on how the inverter is built, set up, and tuned.

That means, considering your batteries are full, if you take 10kWh of power form the inverter batteries, to recharge to the same full level takes 12 to 15 kWh of "street" power.

For that reason the DR law on electricity says that the distributors should reimburse for each hour of outage at the proportional kWh cost + 50%.

Dominican law says to reimburse for overcharge? seriously?

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Dominican law says to reimburse for overcharge? seriously?

Yep, its in the law. I imagine claiming it back and proving what you lost etc... would be substantially more difficult than anyone could imagine.

Would be interesting to see all the households in the country go and queue after their bill was issued to get their refund!!!!!

Sorry, I made a mistake, HALF the households in the country, the ones who pay....

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
It is a known fact that 10 kWh of inversor power costs anywhere between 12 to 15 kWh depending on how the inverter is built, set up, and tuned.

That means, considering your batteries are full, if you take 10kWh of power form the inverter batteries, to recharge to the same full level takes 12 to 15 kWh of "street" power.

For that reason the DR law on electricity says that the distributors should reimburse for each hour of outage at the proportional kWh cost + 50%.

The last part should be in the Clowns bBin;)

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Or maybe people could show up with all their spoiled food due to lack of refrigeration, and demand a refund - if not they can just mess up the offices with it.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
I understood that part of the law referred to those with a guarantee of 24 hour power.

I believe its in the law relating to provision of electricity, nothing more specific.

I've tried a quick search for the law, and its on here somewhere but I can't find it. Sure someone else will chime in....

EDIT.. haha

Ley General de Electricidad No. 125-01

Art. 93.- Las empresas distribuidoras de servicio p?blico estar?n obligadas a ofrecer servicio a quien lo solicite, en su zona de concesi?n, dentro de los plazos establecidos en el reglamento y tambi?n a permitir que otra empresa alimente a clientes no sujetos a regulaci?n de precios en dicha zona, pagando a la empresa distribuidora, por la utilizaci?n de sus l?neas, los peajes correspondientes.

P?rrafo I.- A partir del 1ero. de enero del a?o 2003, las empresas distribuidoras estar?n obligadas a compensar a los usuarios finales regulados por la energ?a el?ctrica no servida por el equivalente del ciento cincuenta por ciento (150%) de electricidad no entregada. Los contratos de venta de electricidad de las empresas generadoras con las empresas distribuidoras deber?n incluir las compensaciones que correspondan a esta disposici?n.

And an old thread.....

http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/81322-true-false.html

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
If you go to SIE.gov.do and dig into Resoluciones, you will even find a formula on how to calculate what the distribuidora de luz ows you ...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Why do you think they raised the electric rates?
So, we can pay what the government refuses to pay!

And of course that this guy (forgot his name) can pay a healthy income to a few more members of his greedy family. That's what I call "comer solos"...

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Yes, that is the guy who does a lot to aSEGURAr the lifestyle of his family...

What's wrong? 1 1/2 days and counting no blackout here... ;)

No such luck elsewhere... Arroyo Hondo loses power mostly through the day, and into the early evening.

We went for a dinner in Evaristo Morales last night and there was no power the whole night, made worse by the fact that in the newly darker street, one of my wife's friends was robbed by two guys, at least the main one carrying a gun...

Would it still have happened if the lights were on....? debate debate...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yesterday we had maybe 6hr of electricity in total here in costambar. few hrs in the morning, nothing all day, then about 2hrs in the evening. wtf?
i can almost smell burning tyres if they keep on doing this...

flyingfox

Sep 10, 2008
Electricity shutdowns, and tree cutting

From Villa Hermosa, La Romana...
We have power weekdays (obviously subject to other 'outs' when there are incidents somewhere on the circuit)...usually 0100 to 0930 or earlier, and from maybe 1430 to 1900. weekends are different...sometimes no power all day sometimes only very early such as 0200 to 0830 and maybe again at 1200 for an hour...going to the beach seems like a good idea.!

So we're used to the limitations...and it's hard when you commute to and from Santo Domingo...coming home to a 'mains-dead' house. At weekends we're always painfully aware of our washing/ironing situation and whether we've got water AND power to pump into and out of cisterna.

Vegetation in the proximity of the live,open, overhead conductors needs pruning, cutting or felling and sometimes it is only safe to do this when the vegetation is "category 1" and burning-off on the cables...by shutting down sections of High-voltage feeders and whole low-voltage circuits...and for this work we know that here we probably won't get any warning...but it would be great if when "rationing" our normal supply...the power distribution company would promulgate for say, the week or fortnight ahead the proposed 'outages'.

Now I realise that there is the aspect of reimbursement for 'shut-down minutes' to consumers...as there is in other countries...perhaps that's why they don't wish to forewarn us...but it would be much more civilised. But hey I also did not come here expecting it to be the same as England...so we'll quietly see how the situation progresses and continue to use and improve our 'inverso'. (Our wish-list includes a gas/electric cooler and a generator!)

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
From Villa Hermosa, La Romana...
We have power weekdays (obviously subject to other 'outs' when there are incidents somewhere on the circuit)...usually 0100 to 0930 or earlier, and from maybe 1430 to 1900. weekends are different...sometimes no power all day sometimes only very early such as 0200 to 0830 and maybe again at 1200 for an hour...going to the beach seems like a good idea.!

So we're used to the limitations...and it's hard when you commute to and from Santo Domingo...coming home to a 'mains-dead' house. At weekends we're always painfully aware of our washing/ironing situation and whether we've got water AND power to pump into and out of cisterna.

Vegetation in the proximity of the live,open, overhead conductors needs pruning, cutting or felling and sometimes it is only safe to do this when the vegetation is "category 1" and burning-off on the cables...by shutting down sections of High-voltage feeders and whole low-voltage circuits...and for this work we know that here we probably won't get any warning...but it would be great if when "rationing" our normal supply...the power distribution company would promulgate for say, the week or fortnight ahead the proposed 'outages'.

Now I realise that there is the aspect of reimbursement for 'shut-down minutes' to consumers...as there is in other countries...perhaps that's why they don't wish to forewarn us...but it would be much more civilised. But hey I also did not come here expecting it to be the same as England...so we'll quietly see how the situation progresses and continue to use and improve our 'inverso'. (Our wish-list includes a gas/electric cooler and a generator!)

you will all love this...
been waiting for my new factura from edeste,and received it today...now my bill has been around 1000 pesos for over 4 years...
today it was 17,464.57

went to office on independencia,waited my obligatory 45 min...officer I talked to said....mama mia...and gave me a reclamation form...they will be out to check my meter on monday
quite a raise!!!!!

and that is with all the blackouts...
bob

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
you will all love this...
been waiting for my new factura from edeste,and received it today...now my bill has been around 1000 pesos for over 4 years...
today it was 17,464.57

went to office on independencia,waited my obligatory 45 min...officer I talked to said....mama mia...and gave me a reclamation form...they will be out to check my meter on monday
quite a raise!!!!!

and that is with all the blackouts...
bob

I was reading your post and left surprised, a human reaction you got and not a "pay or we cut you off", guess there is still hope! ;)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
.... i can almost smell burning tyres if they keep on doing this...
Without all the resulting "Huelgas" how else would the Dominicans get rid of all the used, worthless tires in the D.R. ;)

It's the Dominican way of cleaning up the trash.

Uh-oh,
.......... being punished for that last remark, they just cut off the luz here! :chinese: lol

SantiagoDR:chinese: