National Hero??

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
<!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> A quick question.

Apparently there is only one Dominican who, on their Cedula where it states occupation, has written "National Hero" - who is this person?

I have been searching the internet and I cannot find the answer.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
IIRC it's the last surviving member of the group of conspirators that killed Trujillo, General Antonio Imbert Barrera.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
General Antonio Imbert, the only surviving menber of the plot to kill Trujillo on 30 May `1961..

HB

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Chirimoya..Further, his rank is general for life ,I think?

what's that kidding BS meant to be?
a General's rank is always for life like everywhere on the Globe,
if you wanna make a joke out of a person who has at the age of 90 more balls than yourself in your best times,
try to post it on the Clowns Bin of this Forum,
it is the section made exactly for Kids like You
Mike

May 5, 2007
Mike

Actually Generals are not appointed for life, at least not in the USA

In the US army, AF, Marines Navy (Admirals) all General Officers (4 star Generals ) Must retire by their 64th birthday, you may refer to them as "General so and so retired, but they no longer have any command authority in the US Armed forces

I'm thinking that's what is meant by "General for life," that General Imbert is allowed all the rank, command and privileges of an active duty general for life

what's that kidding BS meant to be?
a General's rank is always for life like everywhere on the Globe,
if you wanna make a joke out of a person who has at the age of 90 more balls than yourself in your best times,
try to post it on the Clowns Bin of this Forum,
it is the section made exactly for Kids like You
Mike

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the retired Generals may have no longer any Command Post, but they still are Generals, use that in the name and of course they received til the last breath the Pension of a general, I would name such a lifetime Title.
in Case of the Country's Heroe I would guess he would never need any Rank to have the full Respect of any active Military Member independent of any Rank or Command, thats what real Heroes are made of.
Mike

May 5, 2007
Not to besmirch Gen. Imbert, but did he ever meritoriously earn the rank of General or was that an honorary or Brevet" rank bestowed upon him for the Trujillo assassination?

the retired Generals may have no longer any Command Post, but they still are Generals, use that in the name and of course they received til the last breath the Pension of a general, I would name such a lifetime Title.
in Case of the Country's Heroe I would guess he would never need any Rank to have the full Respect of any active Military Member independent of any Rank or Command, thats what real Heroes are made of.
Mike

E

engineerfg

Does anybody know how many active generals there are in the DR army?

Sep 20, 2003
He is a 5 stars general for life.

He's not a five star general. I met him, and wore his uniform, and (from memory), he wore only two stars at that meeting.

The rank of brigadier general (one star) was bestowed on him for life as a reward for killing Trujillo. He was later promoted to major general (his second star placed on his shoulder by none of other than President Balaguer :eek:).

Imbert was (from memory) a manager at a cement factory before the assassination. He had also held various other politcal posts and worked for the national lottery. He was on the outs with Trujillo when he joined the assassination plot to kill him.

He became a professional soldier only after he was given his stars. He held all kinds of positions in the Dominican Armed forces, right up to Secretary of Defense, until Balaguer dismissed him in 1988.