National survey shows that obesity and high blood pressure is a problem in the DR

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Moderation is fine but IMO is not the issue with rice. It's called a staple for a reason.

Sugar and oil are not healthy, period, and are best avoided and taken in extreme moderation if at all. Same for most processed foods and goes double for fast food. It's ALL crap.

OF course this is my opinion, and others are welcome to theirs, but I'm following science.

"Every" one of the Blue Zones supports this when comparing the before and after of the Western Diet and processed food to more traditional times.

I'll try and refrain from mindlessly repeating it LOL
My BMI has been correct since highschool so trust me, I get it. Unfortunately some folks lack self-control and discipline when it comes to living a healthy life-style and seek to punish those of us who do not.
Whether it's out of jealousy, envy or having an inferiority complex...
is still a question that remains unanswered.

Reactions: Big

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Agree on fried, and processed food but rice?
It is the huge servings of rice making fattys. Plus coke and sugar. I go to Asian restaurants and rice portions are HALF what they serve here. Rice is good, just smaller portions. When I eat at comedors I GAIN weight from eating the rice. Mountains of rice everywhere. Cut it 50%

Reactions: campesinadeatl

SD Este

Banned
Jul 28, 2021
La Capital
My BMI has been correct since highschool so trust me, I get it. Unfortunately some folks lack self-control and discipline when it comes to living a healthy life-style and seek to punish those of us who do not.
I have no interest in punishing you, that costs extra LOL

SD Este

Banned
Jul 28, 2021
La Capital
Not everyone is born with the ability to eat what they want and appear to remain healthy. Appear often being a false appearance.

You're tall and thin right? Lean? Always have been and you're still young enough not to have age related issues catching up with you?

Me, I was thin into my late 20's and have had to fight to remain relatively fit and healthy. By exercising regularly, eating well by my standards, in relative moderation I'm still thin...ish and have had zero health issues.

But "Correlation does not imply causation"

P.S. BMI is a shiity indicator of "health". Just ask a fit muscular/athletic person like a weight lifter

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Not everyone is born with the ability to eat what they want and appear to remain healthy. Appear often being a false appearance.

You're tall and thin right? Lean? Always have been and you're still young enough not to have age related issues catching up with you?

Me, I was thin into my late 20's and have had to fight to remain relatively fit and healthy. By exercising regularly, eating well by my standards, in relative moderation I'm still thin...ish and have had zero health issues.

But "Correlation does not imply causation"

P.S. BMI is a shiity indicator of "health". Just ask a fit muscular/athletic person like a weight lifter
Punishing me cost extra?
I'll cover the cost.
PM me next time your anywhere near the center of Santiago, preferrably La Joya or Pueblo Nuevo and we'll do a meet and greet. I'd loooooove to have a conversation with you person.

BMI. Genes. Lifestyle. Blessings. Luck. All of the above?
Folks are getting fatter and it ain't good.
Cheers to good health.

LTDan

Apr 29, 2021
SDQ
Back in the seventies, obese persons were few and far bet

I've been to 3 now and haven't witnessed that. Maybe they weren't budget AIs. I don't know. And now that I think of it, no drunks either, well, except for my brother in law but he doesn't count - he's family.

Also on topic, there are meds for Type 2 Diabetes and high cholesterol. I wonder how many Dominicanos/as take

If you really want to shock yourself into losing weight, check into a budget priced AI on a Dominican holiday.
It's literally like watching pigs at the trough. Part entertaining and part disgusting.
spot on, I've seen this several times, it's like piranha in water or locusts in a wheat field; nothing is left, everything is devoured; and no drunks????

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I've never seen people so obsessed with food as Dominicans. They can't do anything unless food is part of the program. I've seen moto drivers eating as they go down the road. Go into a store mid afternoon(past the usual 12 - 2pm lunch), and the guy/gal is munching on something. I've been in line many times in a supermarket and the Dominican in front of me at the cashier has already opened their bag of, chips/cookies/ candy bar and are stuffing it into their face before they've even paid for it. They're compulsive eaters. They can't make it from one meal to the next without eating something.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
"Too much of anything is a bad thing" was instilled in me and my brothers at a young age. One of the few Cardinal Rules I've yet to break in life (aside from my recent bickering with some of our fellow members, yes I'm guilty of it too) and it would be nice to see more Dominicans pratice moderation in their diets. Sugar, oil, hops and processed foods are fine so long as you don't go overboard.
Moderation yes...but add to it exercise on a regular basis.....

Reactions: CristoRey

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
spot on, I've seen this several times, it's like piranha in water or locusts in a wheat field; nothing is left, everything is devoured; and no drunks????
I've been to 3 now and haven't witnessed that. Maybe they weren't budget AIs. I don't know. And now that I think of it, no drunks either, well, except for my brother in law but he doesn't count - he's family.

Also on topic, there are meds for Type 2 Diabetes and high cholesterol. I wonder how many Dominicanos/as take them.
The main drug that helps high cholesterol from building up plaque, are statin drugs... the one here is called hipovastin... in the usa called atorvastatin, most common is the 40 MG tablets........

Reactions: CristoRey

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The main drug that helps high cholesterol from building up plaque, are statin drugs... the one here is called hipovastin... in the usa called atorvastatin, most common is the 40 MG tablets........

Yes, but do they take them as a rule? I would think not but I really don't know. Also, Metformina is common for T2 diabetes.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Yes, but do they take them as a rule? I would think not but I really don't know. Also, Metformina is common for T2 diabetes.
Thats the problem...even if prescribed many dont take them, and that leads to a serious problem...also a low dose asprin should be taken every day ( 81 MG )...........

Reactions: NanSanPedro