National survey shows that obesity and high blood pressure is a problem in the DR

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Ministerio-de-Salud-Diario-Libre.jpg

A recent Ministry of Public Health study reveals that more than 70% of the Dominican population is overweight, 32.3% is hypertensive, and 12% are diabetic. The findings were presented for National Arterial Hypertension Day.

7,949 adults ages 45 to 64 participated in the study. Of these 52.8% were men and 47.2% women. 39.3% confirmed they consumed alcoholic beverages, 10.1% used tobacco products or nicotine. However, 91.5% regularly ate fruits, 88.6% ate vegetables, and 47.4% said they were physically active.

Of those participating in the study, 40.6% did not know they had high blood pressure and another 33.5% were not aware they had diabetes mellitus (33.5%). The nationwide survey was carried out 15, 22 and 29 May and 5, 11 and 12 June 2021.

Read more in...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
....yup.
Someone just started a thread about this national health issue recently.
When I first started traveling down here back in 2003, the majority of these women (and men) were much thinner with healthier looking skin. Sadly thist is no longer the case.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
....yup.
Someone just started a thread about this national health issue recently.
When I first started traveling down here back in 2003, the majority of these women (and men) were much thinner with healthier looking skin. Sadly thist is no longer the case.
Back in the seventies, obese persons were few and far between.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Nah, here in the DR they still call them Gordo, Gorda....etc.
Yes, and you were allowed to call them fatso, hog, sweathog and just plan fat. Now it's a protected "medical condition" like having a ligitimate disability
I wouldn't go quite that far, but it's not far off. I'm going through a bunch of medical tests and procedures at the moment, and every single medical professional I've dealt with has delicately mentioned my extra pounds and asked if I have a plan.

I'm sure it's not a coincidence.

Reactions: SD Este

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
An 8000 population sample is too small to yield adequate data in a population density of 10 million. I suspect the diabetes rate is much much higher. The thing not discussed here is the impact on as n a I ready overtaxed DR medical system.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
It's my understanding they were eating rice in 70's? Why all the blimping now a days?
quantity! The calorie formula has not changed its just fat people keep eating more. Who would have ever thought there would be a reality show "My 600 pound life". If you ever want to lose a few pounds watch that show. It gives a new meaning to "repulsive".

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
quantity! The calorie formula has not changed its just fat people keep eating more. Who would have ever thought there would be a reality show "My 600 pound life". If you ever want to lose a few pounds watch that show. It gives a new meaning to "repulsive".
Perhaps the government should start encouraging these folks to start taking better care of themselves as they show up to get vaccinated. It will certainly help to prevent them from dying should they become infected with Covid or another form of influenza..
according to the DR Government statistics.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If you really want to shock yourself into losing weight, check into a budget priced AI on a Dominican holiday.
It's literally like watching pigs at the trough. Part entertaining and part disgusting.

SD Este

Banned
Jul 28, 2021
La Capital
Too much rice and fried food.
Agree on fried, and processed food but rice?

I'm no a doctor but...IMO, having read a lot over the years and being pretty healthy myself I will say that there's generally nothing wrong with a rice, or other starch heavy, diet. It's the SAD or Western diet that kills. Fat, oil, processed foods are crap. Fresh, whole, foods eaten in as unprocessed a form as possible and not fried improves almost anyone's health and longevity. Even salt can be good for most people. It's the "food" people are salting like chips and other (ultra)processed "foods" that are the problem.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
If you really want to shock yourself into losing weight, check into a budget priced AI on a Dominican holiday.
It's literally like watching pigs at the trough. Part entertaining and part disgusting.

I've been to 3 now and haven't witnessed that. Maybe they weren't budget AIs. I don't know. And now that I think of it, no drunks either, well, except for my brother in law but he doesn't count - he's family.

Also on topic, there are meds for Type 2 Diabetes and high cholesterol. I wonder how many Dominicanos/as take them.

SD Este

Banned
Jul 28, 2021
La Capital
Yes that is pretty much it......white rice is mostly empty calories, and deep frying almost everthing is a recipe for a short lifespan......
Doc, please explain how, pre SAD or Western diets (poisoning otherwise healthy people), how many countries have for centuries eaten and thrived on starch based diets while eating diets based around white rice.

Japan, China, India, Pakistan, many other countries and through various name changes. Thailand, Philippines, and the list goes on.

Until relatively recently people in Okinawa had incredibly long and healthy lives, and were not subjected to many/most diest influenced health issues and were amongst the healthiest and longest lived in the world. They got upwards to like 70% of their calories from potatoes. Hawaiians eating a traditional diet were very healthy until they became a State and and were subjected to Western diet and processed foods and now, generally, their health is notably worse.

It's the Western diet with processed and ultra-processed and fast foods that are responsible. Not white rice.

Reactions: cavok and CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Doc, please explain how, pre SAD or Western diets (poisoning otherwise healthy people), how many countries have for centuries eaten and thrived on starch based diets while eating diets based around white rice.

Japan, China, India, Pakistan, many other countries and through various name changes. Thailand, Philippines, and the list goes on.

Until relatively recently people in Okinawa had incredibly long and healthy lives, and were not subjected to many/most diest influenced health issues and were amongst the healthiest and longest lived in the world. They got upwards to like 70% of their calories from potatoes. Hawaiians eating a traditional diet were very healthy until they became a State and and were subjected to Western diet and processed foods and now, generally, their health is notably worse.

It's the Western diet with processed and ultra-processed and fast foods that are responsible. Not white rice.
"Too much of anything is a bad thing" was instilled in me and my brothers at a young age. One of the few Cardinal Rules I've yet to break in life (aside from my recent bickering with some of our fellow members, yes I'm guilty of it too) and it would be nice to see more Dominicans pratice moderation in their diets. Sugar, oil, hops and processed foods are fine so long as you don't go overboard.

Reactions: Gadfly and SD Este

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Some of the things that we found inviting to move here was that most of the Dominicans were fit. No fast food places. The main grocery store had few imported processed foods. Everyone shopped in different small markets. Changing our eating habits back then was a big change for us getting more healthy. Fruit, rice and beans, chicken and off of the processed snacks and junk.
Internet cafés just starting.
Then the Dominican world changed as internet and cable TV entered.
The blossoming of fast food and convenient foods blossomed overnight along with waistlines.
What we saw as a healthy people we see as ... obese.
25 years since our first visit. We are still close to our weight back then, Dominicans for the most part have become .. just plain fat.

SD Este

Banned
Jul 28, 2021
La Capital
"Too much of anything is a bad thing" was instilled in me and my brothers at a young age. One of the few Cardinal Rules I've yet to break in life (aside from my recent bickering with some of our fellow members, yes I'm guilty of it too) and it would be nice to see more Dominicans pratice moderation in their diets. Sugar, oil, hops and processed foods are fine so long as you don't go overboard.
Moderation is fine but IMO is not the issue with rice. It's called a staple for a reason.

Sugar and oil are not healthy, period, and are best avoided and taken in extreme moderation if at all. Same for most processed foods and goes double for fast food. It's ALL crap.

OF course this is my opinion, and others are welcome to theirs, but I'm following science.

"Every" one of the Blue Zones supports this when comparing the before and after of the Western Diet and processed food to more traditional times.

I'll try and refrain from mindlessly repeating it LOL