Nationwide strike????

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
All quiet in our neck of the woods. Made a quick trip to Cabarete and Sosua this morning and did not even see any miliary presence. The streets are quiet - hardly any public transportation to be seen - mostly tourists out on motor bikes, conchos and whatever - I swear they'll ride around on a donkey if you give them one. All stores are open, or have a presence so that they can open quite quickly. It was really nice - got a tire fixed in double quick time, was in and out the supermarket in double quick time, changed money quickly and generally went about my business. Wish every day was like this...

Power has been out since 6 last night but it just came back on. XR is complaining for nothing - we have 200 gallons diesel in the planta tank. OK, Tom Tire, not Tyre - one of the other languages kicked in for a moment there)

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
early pm Wed, no signs of a huelga in Santo Domingo that I can see.

Streets very quiet this morning, most businesses were closed at 10 am, very light traffic. Almost no traffic in Santo Domingo Oriental.

Even though the military was present in the streets, they were spaced out so it did not feel oppressive, merely observant.

Maybe His Baldness's speech on the TV last night cooled folks down a bit, or maybe the chofers are overstating their importance in generating a protest. Not one sign of tires burning, etc but everyone may be sleeping off a night of celebrating the baseball game, and shooting off fireworks late into the night.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Complaining for Nothing?

I am going to the beach. Read my Huelga Tips and enjoy your vacation. Bye!

XR's Dominican Republic Huelga Tips

The army and the PN are usually stationed at all gasoline stations in the Dominican Republic at times of national emergency, such as during a huelga.

Most gringos incorrectly assume this is to stop the sale of flammable products that might otherwise be used in incendiary devices that injure dozens, if not hundreds of innocent car tires, cement blocks, and politicians in freakish accidents during peaceful celebrations called huelgas.

But, this is not true. In fact, the term huelgas itself comes from the Spanish words huel roughly translating into English as 'to ignite in joyful celebration while dancing in the highway', and gas more of a Dominican Spanish term meaning 'gasoline, propane, or any emission from a local party politician.'

Actually the current valid law on the subject, Dominican Ley 1961-01, dates back to the end of the Trujillo era.

Trujillo was a Dominican dictator, but known as the 'Amigo de Todos', because if your weren't his 'Amigo' you were then 'Todos' which I believe is a slang term for 'Toast'. Anyway, Ley 1961-01, still in effect, clearly states that before any 'goat, sheep, wagon wheel, U.S. Imperialist Agressor, or mistress' can be allowed to observe or participate in a true Dominican 'huelga' proper safety precautions will be strictly enforced. These involve some things, like, if my translation of the Spanish is not that bad, 'proper cleaning of all incendiary devices, the care and feeding of the huelga participants until the time of their involuntary participation in the big event' something about finding enough rubber to make a skin diving suit for Papa Doc Duvalier, and most importantly which color soft drink bottles may be used as containers for fuel for the celebratory displays.

This Ley is still strictly enforced! Today only two liter plastic bottles may be legally used to be filled with gasoline for the big event. The friendly PN or Military officer will check each Dominican's party affiliation and soft-drink container before allowing the container to be filled. This year green 7-Up bottles officially represent supporters of the ruling PRD party to promote their 'Magnificent 7' Presidential hopefuls, Perrier and other imported mineral water bottles are assigned to the PLD supporters as they are the only ones who can generally afford to buy these products and have the bottles readily at hand at home, and communist-red-and-yellow Coca-Cola bottles for the PRSC, but since their following has shrunk over the years they will be limited to bottles of just one-liter or less beginning this year.

This strict enforcement serves several purposes.

First it let's foreign tourists rest assured that all environmental protections will be observed so that the huelga won't lead to a local thinning of the ozone over beaches in Cabarete, Samana, and Juan Dolio which could lead to a severe increase in the number of large European tourists in small blue speedos with excessively red, lobster like sunburns. This would be bad for tourism and pollute the otherwise gorgeous beach vistas so vital to the Dominican Republic's tourism industry.

Secondly, the color coding system helps in identifying the perpetrator should any of these devices misfire and actually injure a tire, wagon wheel, U.S. Imperial Agressor, or politician. The penalty for this is severe! Any participant whose actions lead to any of these events will be banned from playing Dominos roadside for up to ten years, and be forced to spend the remainder of his life either drinking cheap imported Puerto Rican Rum, or hangining out with the BanInter Group's former president.

But lastly, and more importantly, the opportunity to 'fill up' allows the local constabulatory to earn a few pesos in 'propinos'. This is a Spanish word datiing back to Francisco Franco's regime which literally translated means 'Thank you for not making me have to suck the gasoline for this molotov cocktail out of my motoconcho.

Yes, a huelga in the Dominican Republic is a wonderful cultural event to behold, that you will be able to describe to friends and family back in your home countries the world over for many years to come. Don't miss it!

Tom (aka XR)

Nov 27, 2002
www.compunorma.com
Nagua Update

Complete Huelga Support en Nagua, some homemade bombs exploded last night in the Barrios Pueblo Nuevo, San Jos? de Villa, Doloriza Ulloa, Riomar and the City Center. Many Police and Military out in the street.

Source El nacional.com.do Here is the Link

http://www.elnacional.com.do/(bppwkq30dphiml452h00bt45)/aspx/article.aspx?id=2857

Tomvangeffen

May 9, 2002
fantino/La Vega

Hi,

Talked to my wife on the phone.
She sHOULD be driving from fantino to Puerto Plata to come
to me again (in the netherlands).

We changed plan's however because yesterday evening the street between Fantino and the the Highway to la vega were already almost closed.

Fantino itself; todo Tranquilo
many shops closed

Okay... Guess she'll be coming next week...

Tom

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Strike

I drove through Puerto Plata Tonight and all was peaseful, Lots of Police presence but no problem...........

Gringo

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
This early morning traffic seemed almost normal. People who work in the building where are offices are located showed up again today. Even workers that are repairing an apartment. Got a call from the company that was repairing my TV to come pick it up. They say they are working normally and are located in Naco. Seems things should resume normalcy by this afternoon. This holiday in mid week feels strange and we've had too many holidays already in January.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Amen to that, got more of my workers to show up today, I guess word got around that I'm not paying the no-shows. Now if I could just get some customers to show up things would be perfect.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Strike is over. Actually, in many of the prime areas of Santo Domingo today there was hardly any strike. Was told that even on the first day of the strike, in areas such as Cacicazgos supermarkets like La Cadena remained open. Ferreteria Americana, La Sirena and the supermarkets and restaurants were open, and receiving customers on Thursday as usual. By 5 pm, things had normalized. The strike was programmed to end at 6 pm. One day was a statement as frustrated Dominicans that could stayed home, but two days is just two much and the strike weakened from early in the day. News reports indicate there were five deaths. Five deaths in hot spots in the cities for what...

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Not quite the same here ...

I had a powersurge/overvoltage blow up about every piece of electronic equipment in the house yesterday and went to find parts to begin fixing things. Ceducomp was closed in Sosua and Puerto Plata, and the other Sosua computer store was open but could not sell me anything because they couldn't get any shipments in until the huelga ended.

Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
We're running on bubble gum and bailing wire right now. I had to Macgiver it just to get the systems online!

P.P.S.
Rob, you know tieing two ethernet cables with knots together really does work! Who'd have thought!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I am confused. I just watched the CDN news and they said the strike would be over tomorrow at 6am.

???

Chiri

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
newbie comments

Greetings all.

I am a three time wanderer to the DR in the last 8 months (so far to BC),and love the country, and rely on this site for my DR news.
I am guessing however , that a majority of the members live in the north, so I am wondering if there is a sub thread that addresses SD/BC. If not, I'm grateful that this forum even exists.

Peace to all

Mike

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
bcmike, you should have started a new thread with your post rather than tack it on the end of a thread on a totally different subject, especially this one which is about something that ended yesterday.

There is no thread on the South Coast. People from all parts of the country participate when they have something to offer. On occasion, it is clear that a thread is only about the north coast, so south coast people don't usually contribute. Other times it is clear that a thread is just about south coast.

Welcome to the board.