Need a 55 gallon steel drum

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I'm looking to build a smoker (UDS) and need a 55 gallon drum with the lid. It has to be either new or used only for food, as metals are porous and whatever toxic "stuff" can leech into the inner wall, making any food cooked not safe to eat.

Yes, I know I can simply buy a charcoal or gas grill/smoker; the point is to build it myself
Yes, I know I can have someone build me a grill/smoker; the point is to build it myself
Yes, I know I will need certain tools (which I already possess)

I'm in Bavaro, so local sourcing is key. Here's a photo is anyone is curious or confused. AdTHANKSvance.

kyxj0xd48rzi4zi5se0i

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I'm looking to build a smoker (UDS) and need a 55 gallon drum with the lid. It has to be either new or used only for food, as metals are porous and whatever toxic "stuff" can leech into the inner wall, making any food cooked not safe to eat.

Yes, I know I can simply buy a charcoal or gas grill/smoker; the point is to build it myself
Yes, I know I can have someone build me a grill/smoker; the point is to build it myself
Yes, I know I will need certain tools (which I already possess)

I'm in Bavaro, so local sourcing is key. Here's a photo is anyone is curious or confused. AdTHANKSvance.

kyxj0xd48rzi4zi5se0i

That's weird...........
link doesn't show up in the post but does in reply with quote.........
and it doesn't work

B in Santiago

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Will be a tough call. A couple of years ago I also searched for a steel drum that had not carried petroleum or toxic substances. The ones that make grills have a top that can't be removed, it has one hole (the ones with removable tops can be welded on but are not nearly as strong.) Those, guaranteed held a nasty chemical.

What I learned is that the vast majority of steel drums, like 95% ARE used for those chemicals specifically, because there is little chance of breaking in transit or storage. Steel drums are expensive.

Foodstuffs and non-toxic chemicals are shipped in plastic drums which are MUCH less expensive, and aren't a hazard of they break.

So keep in mind when you see pork or chicken roasting on a steel drum grill: if it's fairly old and obviously well-used, most of the toxins have been smoked out. If newer...well, maybe the next vendor will have an older grill.

One local herreria, before making a drum grill (and they are NOT cheap) will fill it with wood chips and burn the hell out of it for a couple of days before going to work on it as a grill.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Jsimon: No need for drum...pick and axe are cheap at the ferreteria, so just take her and bury her in the backyard...CSI is non-existent in The DR and we won't tell anyone :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

On a more serious note I think your best bet will be an "Agroquimica" as they get chemicals, etc on those types of containers. Although I've always been leery of cooking up some meat on something that formerly held poisonous liquids, but people do it all the time.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
On a more serious note I think your best bet will be an "Agroquimica" as they get chemicals, etc on those types of containers. Although I've always been leery of cooking up some meat on something that formerly held poisonous liquids, but people do it all the time.

See, I'm not keen on serving food that has been cooking for hours in poisonous vapors. I'll get a rep that I won't want to admit to. I get that people do it, and that's fine, but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo thank you. And some of the chemicals that are shipped in these things don't react well to fire, so that first burn could be a little more exciting that I'd like.

Would I find the kind of barrel I'm looking for in SD or Santiago? I'd take the express bus to go get it over a friday night - sat night visit. I'd much rather prefer local to PC/Higuey/Veron if possible, but I get what every is saying so far.

And sorry if the photo didn't post properly; I thought I tested it before hitting the Post button.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Go to Marba S.A. in Friusa. Ask for the owner David. He is my neighbor. He recently built his own one. He could tell you were to get what you need (they also build them for selling them, I think 20K DOP but since you want to build it yourself...;))

...erm, he is in Spain at the moment, sorry. But at Marba somebody else should be able to give you information.

See, I'm not keen on serving food that has been cooking for hours in poisonous vapors. I'll get a rep that I won't want to admit to. I get that people do it, and that's fine, but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo thank you. And some of the chemicals that are shipped in these things don't react well to fire, so that first burn could be a little more exciting that I'd like.

Would I find the kind of barrel I'm looking for in SD or Santiago? I'd take the express bus to go get it over a friday night - sat night visit. I'd much rather prefer local to PC/Higuey/Veron if possible, but I get what every is saying so far.

And sorry if the photo didn't post properly; I thought I tested it before hitting the Post button.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There is a business in an industrial area in Santo Domingo on the Autopista near the Luperon loop that has all manner of barrels stacked high to the sky.

May 29, 2006
Is that zinc coated. If so is zinc a risk?

You might do well looking for DIY smokers on YouTube even if you already have your plans. I know Alton Brown made one from a school locker with an electric hot plate for the smoke generator. There are plenty of dead beer coolers out there with shot compressors, stainless on the inside and relatively air tight. A smoker only needs to get up to what, 165?? You want something that can drain because smoke is mostly water vapor.

As for galvanized, if it worries you, you could spray it with stove paint. Galvanized needs a bit of special prep, but I forget the details.

Last edited:

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Go to Marba S.A. in Friusa. Ask for the owner David. He is my neighbor. He recently built his own one. He could tell you were to get what you need (they also build them for selling them, I think 20K DOP but since you want to build it yourself...;))

...erm, he is in Spain at the moment, sorry. But at Marba somebody else should be able to give you information.

Where is Marba? I'll be back in PC in about a week, so him being gone atm isn't a huge deal. It'd be nice to see what they have for sale for comparison purposes, but $450 USD I could have stuff shipped in a 55 gallon drum to get it!