Need advice for moving to DR with theincome I have

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Ok OP

Now we are getting somewhere.;) I think with your listening to some on here you will be ok. WTG! As I said before best of luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.:bunny::bunny:

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Thanks for the responses!!

(Yes Jan, I would love to talk to you more, I think I emailed you last night, if you own a website, I did)

Also, Sharky, THnak you so much for the nice words, and offer of friendship!! I truly appriciate it!!! I will for sure take you up on looking you up ! Maybe even the room for a day or two... Thank again!

OK, so this is , so far what I have learned... It is widely accepted that I can rent a house/apartment/room/etc for less than $200USD a month (probably 150). So, that leaves me with a guaranteed 500 USD a month. I dont smoke anymore (THANK HEAVENS) and I dont drink, so I have 500 to eat on, and cell phone, and electricity, and internet, etc... I pay $2,500 MXN now for rent, plus electric plus internet, plus maid, and to be hinest by the end of the month I am thin, bot not broke.... ( i do make a few extra bucks here and there)

So I guess I am just thinking out loud (I hope its ok) , but it seems, that yes, it may be possible.

**and forgive my spelling, I know it horrific, I have , for too many years, depende on spell check too much!!!

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Also, Is it safe to say (after searching and researching) that for 340 Pesos a day , or less,I can eat pretty good?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I pay $2,500 MXN now for rent, plus electric plus internet,

The electric(no ac) plus internet and a cell phone plan of 150 min +/- will run you somewhere between RD2500 to 3500 a month. However, an inverter will be necessary at a cost of around RD30 to 50k. All the better if you bring one with you and buy the batteries here at RD2800 a peice. A 1.5k inverter and 4 batteries should be good enough to run a fan, the tv and a computer for a few hours(fridge or hot water heater, no).

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
....I was going to politely ask you if you had seen the thread on a very similar topic to yours which was started yesterday. Trouble is if I do I'll probably get the title of head honcho of the Spanish Inquisition...........:)
Vamos a ver as they say but don't hold your breath...........;)

Do?a Torquemada! :cheeky: Go easy on the thumb screws......:paranoid:

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Wow, yeah the Inverter I forgot about needing... My Domican friend has lived in the US now for 17 years, but still goes to DR often, and still has alot of family there, her is SO angry that as a child before he left, the electricty problem was exactly the same as it is today... (More or Less)...

I think I can buy a small Inverter here in Mexico for Cheaper.. I have a laptop (with battery), so will only need to power to internet modem (does the interney work when the power is out, even if you supply power to the modem)?

so, so far, this is what it looks like
Rent -RD 6,810, or less
Food-RD 10,215 or less
Phone, internet, and electricity, RD 3,500

Total = RD 20,525 or $ 602.79 USD

Granted I went on the High end of things for every catagory....

Can someone tell me if these numbers are acurate?

Thanks

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
tlbaker.
Thanks for filling in a little about yourself. I think that you are now getting some better information. You said that you fixed up the house in Mexico. Would you tell us/me about that? The whats and hows? Did you negotiate for "parts and labor" and did you do it in spanish?

Just thinking... Regards, Ringo

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Hi... When I say fixed up, I mean basic Painting, Cement (plaster) repair, Tree and bush pruneing, garbage removal, new babinets, etc... It is an all Cement (exs\cpet for windows and floors) house, so thre was not that much to do, But I did it all myself, (I hired locals to climb and clean to palm trees), etc.. But I went to Home Depot , and some local Ferra's (Hardware/home supply stores) and bought the supplys, fixtures, etc.... I really enjoy doing stuff like that, and the end result was magnificent... and I enjoyed myself.... I wouldnt mind doing something simple like that in DR too... Or Eventually building a small little cottage somewhere (with some other finances of course) and it would be different from most other people I have read on here.. it would truly be a small cottage, not a big americanized house....

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
OK. You can get your hands dirty and enjoy it. You know enough spanish to go to the hardware store a get what you need and direct others work.

I take it that you have an American Passport so you are not wanted in the U.S. for some nasty crime.

If I may suggest? List your skills again as if in a mini resume'. I take it that living space in exchange for some work in a private estate or ?? could work for you. Any info concerning your disability may or may not be of help to us, sorry to be personal and if I am out of line. You might have to lower your standards by working for/with a rich expat snob. lol.

Regards, Ringo

(OHHHH... for a Home Depot.)

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Well, its hard for me because I used to have a dollar or two myself,.. But things change...

My disability effects my nerves, etc... I have numbness, and I have a few othr issues, BUT would prefer not to talk about them on a public forum. I am a normal looking, I amnot contagious to smeell or touch, or anythign like that... I am able to some some light work around myself, and yes can direct others in spanich (or as Ive had to use before , play Sharades with them).

I would be willing to possibly trade some type of agreed upon duties for a place, if I like the area, etc... But the duties could nto take most of my time, because I do want to enjoy myself... BUT am realistic in the fact that I could do some work, and it would help me out tremendously, Financially.

Yes I have a US Passprt, and No, I am not wanted in the US, or at least I wasnt last month when I went back (JOKE)

I am being 100% honesy when I say I dont want to live in the states on 700 a month because I would be a poor person. Yes I will strugle in DR as I have some in Mex, BUT not the same... I have already lowered my standards, and require a lot less in life to make me happy... BUT one thing that comes with knowing you have a gauranteed income is the desire to not do a darn thing (unless you have to)

Skills:

well, like I said I finished my educatioon at Vanderbilt University, I mainly worked in Hotel jobs, Managed a few, and even Leased one for a short time. I a pretty savvy at Computers (although not as savvy as some) I find myself to have very good tatse in decorating, and gardening, etc.. Design... I am not the handiest handman, because although I enjoy doing it for myself (fixing up things) I really dont like to do it unless I enjoy the outcome... I am pretty adaptable to any situation, and have always been a very fast learner, at any job, or situation....

Sorry about the long Post!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I think that you have come around to helping some of us better help or advise you. Lets' let this get read and some people thinking.

Regards, Ringo

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Ringo, Thank you!!! I appriciate the help.... I know I come across strong, and tak,e certain things the wrong way, BUT I am an OK person, and good friend...

Thanks again!

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
TLBaker, your figures for phone, internet and electricity look a little low to me, especially if you want something other than dial-up internet access.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
I'm glad that chip appears to have fallen, if you work on your spanish and stay calm with your nerves, I can see you living there, if you are willing to work and prove to be an honest person. Forget labor, but supervise. The labor market is covered, just like Mexico and better, maybe. But to be the in between man, between some lazy gringo, that's not trying to learn spanish, but wanting to do business there, especially construction in the tourist areas or other fields as well, maybe. I don't live there yet, but if you use your brain, you can advance upward from the beans, rice and chicken every day, breakfast, lunch and dinner, Domican style. Keep a nice attitude with your workers ( Haitions ), because they are almost slaves, because I wouldn't want you to end up being fertilizer in some sugar field. For years I have made friends of mine money with my suggestions !!!!!!!!!!!!! So, if you keep that in mind, i'm sure you can make it, while the English/Spanish translation is still in demand. I happen to be African-American and proud of it and I have always thought of the majority of the human race as paid slaves. But I have always made much more than $14.00 a day, not like the Haitians and some Domicans. But out of that money, they pay for lunch and possibly transportation to and from work and I wouldn't be surprised if they still had to give a kickback to the boss, because I do know the construction field and again life is hard......... So I do think you can make it, also with a little luck, so good luck.......

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Well, its hard for me because I used to have a dollar or two myself,.. But things change...
........... BUT one thing that comes with knowing you have a gauranteed income is the desire to not do a darn thing (unless you have to)

I hope for your sake that that changes. Ask any of the successful expats here who didn't arrive with money how they succeeded & I think they'll all tell you: networking & hard work.

I'm not going to ask because you don't like questions but remember you will need an emergency fund you can access - emergencies have way of happening here. And sometimes if things get stressful, health issues can arise. I won't ask about your disability but you would know if it is exacerbated by stress.

Do?a Torquemada! :cheeky: Go easy on the thumb screws......:paranoid:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: how very perceptive of you (not called SWMBO for nothing ;) ).

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Oh, I dont mind questions, and I dont mind working....and I am sorry if some have to work, and really I dont (to have a better life I will)...Ask me anything..... But, I wont talk about my health disorders on a public chatm, except to say I am a normal guy with a few health problems, that do no inhibit most of my abilities. I guess the way we ask things, determine our response...huh?

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Hi, I have another question about Power inverters.. I was told in a previous post I would need a 1.5k inverter and 4 batt. I am sorry for my ignorance on such things, but I am not sure I know what it is.. An overter to me is one that just changes the current of power.... Is that what also charges the batteries?? I was thinking of like APC battery backups, but i see they really dont give you any time at all... Can someone explain a little more, PLEASE, maybe send me a link to an example on ebay (I found some mitsubishi 1.5k power inverters, but i see nothing about batteries)
Thanks

Feb 7, 2007
Also, Is it safe to say (after searching and researching) that for 340 Pesos a day , or less,I can eat pretty good?

Yes you can.

If you eat out
Breakfast: 100 RDP (breakfast of mangu, eggs, fried salami or ham)
Lunch: 150 RDP (chicken/beef/pork + rice/potatoes, green salad)
Dinner: 100 RDP (pica pollo (fried chicken), chimi, BBQ chicken, etc.)

You can even save more if you cook some of your meals, especially breakfast.

E.g.

Breakfast: 3 eggs, 1/8 pund cheese, tomatoe, onion, for an omelette - about 50 pesos.

Lunch: 1 pound rice, 1/2 pound meat (averaged), salad and all necessary ingredients about 80-90 pesos.

Dinner: 2 platanos, 1 pound salami, onion, other ingredients - 70 pesos.
Also, fast food dinner - small picapollo (2 pcs) is 70 pesos, chimi de pierna is 60 pesos, 2pcs BBQ chicken with yuka is about 80 pesos, etc.

You certainly can survive (mealwise) on 10,000 pesos per month, between cooking yourself and buying some take-away food. You can have a varied diet, believe me. What you will probably not see much is shrimps, etc., but you can kick in some fish here and there.

Things to remember:
Buy food in "almacenes" they sell cheaper than supermarkets. usually sell non-perishable foods.
Buy meat at mercado, but sometimes supermarkets have cheaper prices.
Shop around and learn what and where is cheaper.

Look up posts by Rick Snyder. May he RIP. He lived in El Seybo and was a very valued member of DR1 and he DID NOT live on a lot of money. Many DR1ers, especially new ones, have forgotten that. He is an example of how it is possible to make it.

Also, you may consider spending some 15-20.000 RDP on a used motorbike or pasola, especially if you will live in a smaller city or suburs, so to make your transportation easier.