Need Recommendation from computer pros

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
Does anyone actually pay for the MS versions of these programs? There are many free variants and I also use LibreOffice....free and for almost everyone, it's as good as or better than the paid products, and lighter and free! ;) :D
Yes I've paid for it for various versions over the years. But students usually get a great, really cheap price on the licensing fee with their university email address.

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
I pay for Office 365, about EUR 99 p/y in Europe. Can use it/share it on 5 devices. Libre office is a good alternative, if not using e.g. heavy excel macro's etc (compatibilily with Office 365 users)

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I've always got what I paid for when I use free software.

My main computer is an M1 chip Mac. It blows most of the competition out of the water.

My kids are of school age and they both have Microsoft surface 4 pro tablets with the detachable keyboard. I bought them Otterbox protective cases to protect them when they carry them in their backpacks. No complaints from the Surface 4 pro. It seems like a capable machine for grade school work. I don't know how capable they are in a Uni environment. I have also subscribed to Office 365 which we share within the family. But I don't need it for the Mac, it comes with everything I need at no extra cost or subscription.

• Love
Reactions: bonao99 and jinty05

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I've always got what I paid for when I use free software.

My main computer is an M1 chip Mac. It blows most of the competition out of the water.

My kids are of school age and they both have Microsoft surface 4 pro tablets with the detachable keyboard. I bought them Otterbox protective cases to protect them when they carry them in their backpacks. No complaints from the Surface 4 pro. It seems like a capable machine for grade school work. I don't know how capable they are in a Uni environment. I have also subscribed to Office 365 which we share within the family. But I don't need it for the Mac, it comes with everything I need at no extra cost or subscription.
I am a person who is perhaps least fond of Apple in general on the planet. That said: Apple did a great job with the ARM based processors such as the M1 series which replaced INTEL chips. INTEL and AMD have a ways to catch up and be competitive with those RISC based ARM processors.

I would seriously consider an M1 system for use in my music projects, particularly in recording, if I were doing such things professionally. I currently use a Linux version with real time kernel for that.

With the M1 series on the market, it makes little sense to purchase a previous generation Apple computer. Do make sure that all the software you need to run will work in that platform.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
OMG, she is an 18 year old student, and I hate to say this, this laptotch may vanish in a few weeks or get sold.
Buy a Dell or HP refurb on sale for a few hundred dollars.

If she gets straight A's and makes it to Sophomore year, buy her a nice i7 touch screen or Macbook Pro with a LoJack on it.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
There is always that risk, of theft, but if the soon-to-be uni student has been properly vetted and is interested and vested in this then the risk is much less than it could be. Surely she can be trusted to keep it out of sight when not needed, and if there is doubt a simple conversation should take care of that. Also buying a crappy, cheap computer instead of a decent or even good computer could inhibit her enthusiasm and make it more likely that she fails or bails. There's a lot to be said for having the right tools, and attitude is a large part of success.

What's the difference in price, just a few hundred $$$ for most between a cheap feeling, slow computer and one that is quick, snappy, and a joy to use? IS it really worth that compromise when it is very likely to impact the probability of success?

Reactions: AlaPlaya

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
you got your money's worth if you are still using windows 7...
I sure did! Didn't care for Windows 8 at all, so searched for a solid computer that was running Windows 7. Bought it around 2013 and am still using it regularly. Much of my work is in Excel, Word and Publisher so it still fulfills those needs.

It is what used to be considered more a replacement for a desktop than a light, portable laptop. For that need, my phone suffices.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
There is always that risk, of theft, but if the soon-to-be uni student has been properly vetted and is interested and vested in this then the risk is much less than it could be. Surely she can be trusted to keep it out of sight when not needed, and if there is doubt a simple conversation should take care of that. Also buying a crappy, cheap computer instead of a decent or even good computer could inhibit her enthusiasm and make it more likely that she fails or bails. There's a lot to be said for having the right tools, and attitude is a large part of success.

What's the difference in price, just a few hundred $$$ for most between a cheap feeling, slow computer and one that is quick, snappy, and a joy to use? IS it really worth that compromise when it is very likely to impact the probability of success?
Exactly. She is "vetted"...she is family. No computers are going missing or being sold. Stolen, real possibility...in ANY country.

drisforme

May 28, 2016
Dell is definitively a good maker .My preference is Macbook pro for the combination of performance ,UX ,OS and software.
I am a professional software developer so I need something fast ,very fast and prefer linux than windows even if on windows 10 ,linux can be installed.
For editing video ,images , Mac is definitively a top choice if she wants to do this.

Bottom line ,it depends on her use.
For common use, I will not go
-below 16MB of memory to be very comfortable(high end will be >=32GB)
-500MB of SSD disk (High end 1TB) Movie takes room...if she does this.
- 15 inches screen. 13 may be too small when she does not travel and work with many applications at the same time .Connecting multiple monitors could be a solution to alleviate the size of the screen

Will buy it in the US for the options available .Live in Cabarete so don't know the options in Santo Domingo even I know that Apple does not have a store on the islands only reseller which take the apple care guarantee ...

Budget is definitely a parameter...Apple products are not cheap. My configuration is about $3500

Good luck

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Dell is definitively a good maker .My preference is Macbook pro for the combination of performance ,UX ,OS and software.
I am a professional software developer so I need something fast ,very fast and prefer linux than windows even if on windows 10 ,linux can be installed.
For editing video ,images , Mac is definitively a top choice if she wants to do this.

Bottom line ,it depends on her use.
For common use, I will not go
-below 16MB of memory to be very comfortable(high end will be >=32GB)
-500MB of SSD disk (High end 1TB) Movie takes room...if she does this.
- 15 inches screen. 13 may be too small when she does not travel and work with many applications at the same time .Connecting multiple monitors could be a solution to alleviate the size of the screen

Will buy it in the US for the options available .Live in Cabarete so don't know the options in Santo Domingo even I know that Apple does not have a store on the islands only reseller which take the apple care guarantee ...

Budget is definitely a parameter...Apple products are not cheap. My configuration is about $3500

Good luck
She needs a $3500 laptop like she needs a new butt.............

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004