Neighborhoods in Sosúa / Puerto Plata

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I'm going to be up in Sosua for a few days this coming week. I will be exploring if I want to move here when my lease expires (if I have one that is).

So for both PP and Sosua, what are the good neighborhoods and the bad ones? I figure walking around is the best way to find out and it's also good exercise. However, I'm sure there are areas to avoid and I'd like to know them as well. Also, even though they are certainly considered a good neighborhood, gated communities are not my cup of coffee.

Thanks for any and all recommendations.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Rent in Puerto Plata seems to be cheaper. There seems to be more bang for your buck in POP, but there are exceptions to the east as well.

Will you have a car? Or is it guaguas and motos for you?

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
You will have a nice walk if you go end to end on Pedro Clisante one way and circle back the other way on Alejo Martinez. Should take an hour or two and will give you a good idea of the town.
Hmmm, Sosúa is much more than just El Batey.

For the OP, it all depends on your preferences, what's your budget for rent? In the area of Sosúa that slowmo mentions, the rent is (obviously depending on size of apartment) significantly higher as it's closer to the beaches, but if you can live outside of the main tourist area, either closer to the airport or closer to cabarete, the rents are generally cheaper.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

For the OP, it all depends on your preferences, what's your budget for rent? In the area of Sosúa that slowmo mentions, the rent is (obviously depending on size of apartment) significantly higher as it's closer to the beaches, but if you can live outside of the main tourist area, either closer to the airport or closer to cabarete, the rents are generally cheaper.
I'm hoping to stay under $600 USD a month.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Torre Alta in Puerto Plata, or anything above the city. Short hop to everything, safe, quiet (sometimes too much so).

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Of course. Was just trying to describe a safe, flat, easy to navigate and moderate walk with sidewalks in Sosua that has easy access to the beaches.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
I'm hoping to stay under $600 USD a month.
Well, then that area of Sosúa is probably not for you. It all depends if you are looking for a furnished or unfurnished
I currently pay $250/month for a small unfurnished 2-bedroom apartment. But then I live in an area between "downtown" Sosúa and the Airport.
Just because my landlord appreciates having easy and tranquil tenants, he has not raised the rent for the last 3 years, as basically all other similar apartments are now around $50-100/month higher.
If you are looking for a furnished apartment, even in this area, it would also be around $700-800.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Do some hunting and bargaining for cash. Make your offer and pay the first 3 months in cash and see how the price drops...............

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I rent an unfurnished apartment in Urb. Atlantica in Pto Pta. Two double bedrooms and salon/kitchen. US$160 per month incl. water. I pay my own luz, gas, TV and internet. No aircon but I do not want it anyway, No parking space. Very safe with friendly and helpful neighbours. Too noisy some evenings.

You will want something more upmarket bu US$400 should do it, especially if you do not need a garage/parking space.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
600 a month should get you a two bedroom unfurnished in El Batey.
Word of mouth is the best way to find an available unfurnished at a normal price. I currently rent a large two bedroom for 16,000 ( it was 15,000 when we signed first lease a couple of years ago)
I recommend you start by mentioning to anyone you know personally that lives there that you are looking ! Walking around the area as you mentioned is good. The internet is not the best way to find these type of apartments

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I have one available from now to January and from mid April.
El Batey Sosua, Calle Pedro Clisante.

JJ

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
600 a month should get you a two bedroom unfurnished in El Batey.
Word of mouth is the best way to find an available unfurnished at a normal price. I currently rent a large two bedroom for 16,000 ( it was 15,000 when we signed first lease a couple of years ago)
I recommend you start by mentioning to anyone you know personally that lives there that you are looking ! Walking around the area as you mentioned is good. The internet is not the best way to find these type of apartments
Wow, location in El Batey?
Because I'm currently living in Los Castillos and being that it's 5-10 minutes from everywhere, you would think that it would be cheaper than El Batey, and unless you're willing to live in a small house with a tin roof, then what they are asking for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment is at least 15-20k/month, some of the newer buildings start at 25k/month. And Los Castillos is not a "barrio" but it's not a gated community or within walking distance of the beach, so you would think it would be cheaper.
Currently, I'm paying 12.5k/month, for a 525square feet 2 bedroom apartment, and the landlord has not raised the rent because they are VERY picky with their tenants (they kicked out a couple downstairs because they were fighting loudly a couple of times), so they don't want us to leave.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
In Puerto Plata: Torre Alta, Don Armando and everything close to those (up the mountain). And in the city: Jardines del Atlantico.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
Wow, location in El Batey?
Because I'm currently living in Los Castillos and being that it's 5-10 minutes from everywhere, you would think that it would be cheaper than El Batey, and unless you're willing to live in a small house with a tin roof, then what they are asking for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment is at least 15-20k/month, some of the newer buildings start at 25k/month. And Los Castillos is not a "barrio" but it's not a gated community or within walking distance of the beach, so you would think it would be cheaper.
Currently, I'm paying 12.5k/month, for a 525square feet 2 bedroom apartment, and the landlord has not raised the rent because they are VERY picky with their tenants (they kicked out a couple downstairs because they were fighting loudly a couple of times), so they don't want us to leave.
I'm located in El Batey , a few cross streets before Ahnvee and in between the two of the main streets Pedro Clisante and Dr Alejo Martinez. It's really my wife that got us it. Two bedrooms, two big patios, parking included

Well off Dominicans rarely advertise their properties eg. if its their personal home and they are renting one floor. In my case the top floor is rented to us and the bottom floor is occupied by the mother of the owner.

The owner's good friend (they both own huge business's in the area) recommended us to the owner and told us of the vacancy.
Rentals like this do come available, it's just that you will only hear about it by word of mouth in certain circles.

Since we moved , on that same street has opened up a couple of opportunities and both got rented fast by word of mouth. If we knew someone really well and they were trustworthy we could have easily recommended them. So it's not a rare occurance.

For example, the house next door to us , a one story but an ENTIRE house ( 3 br) got rented for I believe 28k or something around that. We got offered it first but turned it down as I am happy where we are.