New Bavaro international Airport in Macao.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I think 8 million is for the DR total. In 2018, PUJ had 3.9 million passengers.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...reaking-Tourism-Numbers-and-Future-Plans.html

Just to clarify the amount of Visitors received is diferent than the amount of pax in an airport. The pax in airports are counted 2 times, pax in and pax out. The movement of passingers for PUJ was 7.1 Millions as counts in and out. Tourist received in the destination is half of those 7.1 millions that is 3.5 Millions, the total of residents and dominicans using PUJ from that amount was 40,530 pax.

The total of passinger in all airports in DR was 14 Millions, this is acording to Central Bank that counts all in and outs from Migration system.

6.5 Millions tourist plus 500,000 Dominicans and residents traveled in 2019

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
At present PUJ has the best air traffic controllers that I've experienced in the DR.
They manage to fit the little bug smashers and choppers in between fat and fast jets very well. Totally unlike Las Americas....

I reckon any new airport is a boon anyway but I can think of a few more places where just a little airstrip would be welcome.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
At present PUJ has the best air traffic controllers that I've experienced in the DR.
They manage to fit the little bug smashers and choppers in between fat and fast jets very well. Totally unlike Las Americas....

I reckon any new airport is a boon anyway but I can think of a few more places where just a little airstrip would be welcome.
Back in The Day when I was flying into the DR from FL in y 182, getting passed to Dominican ATC meant pretty much being incommunicado, the radar and radio equipment was so bad. It was like flying VFR under IFR rules.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

Some of the guys working in PUJ before was controlling SDQ.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The approval of a new airport for the east tourist zone is more political than for a need. Punta Cana airport serves the area well and La Romana is underexploited. Tend to think the Hazoury's, of Cap Cana, the developers, wanted an airport they can call their own to compete with Punta Cana Group and Casa del Campo.

The next issue is there will be a need for a regional air traffic control. Right now there is no regional air traffic control. Control of the immediate airspace for the east is provided by each airport, PUJ and LRM. The addition of a third airport would reasonably require a regional traffic control to keep aircraft separated and passengers safe. Don't think there is money in the government budget to construct one. Don't think the Dominican Air Ministry thought out the approval of a new airport well. Air carriers will be reluctant to service the east without a regional traffic control. The distance from Macao, the site of the new airport to PUJ is about 35 km, too close.

Regards,

PJT

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Just to clarify the amount of Visitors received is diferent than the amount of pax in an airport. The pax in airports are counted 2 times, pax in and pax out. The movement of passingers for PUJ was 7.1 Millions as counts in and out. Tourist received in the destination is half of those 7.1 millions that is 3.5 Millions, the total of residents and dominicans using PUJ from that amount was 40,530 pax.

The total of passinger in all airports in DR was 14 Millions, this is acording to Central Bank that counts all in and outs from Migration system.

6.5 Millions tourist plus 500,000 Dominicans and residents traveled in 2019

Spell check: passEngers

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
Their argument why it is so close to PUJ is that Madrid, Berlin, and NYC all have multiple airports really close to each other. Sure. That's great. What does that have to do with Punta Cana? Punta Cana is not Berlin, Madrid, or New York city. LOL!

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Their argument why it is so close to PUJ is that Madrid, Berlin, and NYC all have multiple airports really close to each other. Sure. That's great. What does that have to do with Punta Cana? Punta Cana is not Berlin, Madrid, or New York city. LOL!

Correct, those are cities way bigger than Punta Cana with a population of millions, and receivemore than 10 times the amount of visitors than Punta Cana.

Another point that Im not agree is will bring competition and better prices, but for who? Airlines paying less fees do not mean will reduce their prices while still the tickets will have very big percents of its value in taxes, so that will be more earnings for airlines not for passengers, we are not talking about supermarkets.

Also says will be more jobs, but what I see is that if an airline move from Punta Cana to Bavaro is taking all their employees so no new jobs there, and in the case they have flights into both airports they will pick up hrs where employees can move from one airport to another so no need to hire more new workers, as you said Punta CAna is not Berlin, Madrid or New York.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Correct, those are cities way bigger than Punta Cana with a population of millions, and receivemore than 10 times the amount of visitors than Punta Cana.

Another point that Im not agree is will bring competition and better prices, but for who? Airlines paying less fees do not mean will reduce their prices while still the tickets will have very big percents of its value in taxes, so that will be more earnings for airlines not for passengers, we are not talking about supermarkets.

Also says will be more jobs, but what I see is that if an airline move from Punta Cana to Bavaro is taking all their employees so no new jobs there, and in the case they have flights into both airports they will pick up hrs where employees can move from one airport to another so no need to hire more new workers, as you said Punta CAna is not Berlin, Madrid or New York.

DR wants more tourism and development. My guess is that the Tourism people had multiple talks with PUJ about future additional capacity. As well future development will happen further North, away from PUJ, Macao and Uvero Alto etc. From the video the airport is being designed to be easily expandable. My guess is that the DR execs want the new airport to be able to handle 2Xs total passengers as PUJ. That would put the region on par with Cancun as it relates to total passengers.
Bus ride from Cancun to Playa Del Carmen and further South is 1.5 hours or more, so something else the DR can avoid. The Hotel Zone is very close to the Airport.

Of course new employees would be needed.

Very modern design even where buses line up.

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
Bavaro airport should be like Santo Domingo's second international airport Juaquin Balaguer (aka la isabela, aka el higuero), focused on small to medium aircrafts.

One amenity that would be nice on all DR airports would be a shuttle bus between them.

My 2 cents.....

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Bavaro airport should be like Santo Domingo's second international airport Juaquin Balaguer (aka la isabela, aka el higuero), focused on small to medium aircrafts.

One amenity that would be nice on all DR airports would be a shuttle bus between them.

My 2 cents.....

Why? Any new airport will have an FBO terminal just like PUJ.
FIXED BASE OPERATOR (FBO) AND GENERAL AVIATION TERMINAL
The Punta Cana International Airport has a FBO terminal for private and executive flights, which accommodates small airplanes, helicopters and executive jets for international and domestic flights. Located on the West side of the International Terminals, the FBO is a private terminal, aircraft parking apron which provides all standard general aviation staffed by airport operations personnel. In addition, we are currently offering a general aviation parking ramp and passenger terminal to be used for regional air taxi operators (tourist excursions etc.) . ***Both terminals are operated by the airport.
The FBO Terminal is available from 07:00 – 21:00, 7 days a week with additional staff for off-hours operations.
https://www.puntacanainternationalairport.com/airport-services/private-planes

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
Nice to have, but the country is too big for shuttle buses everywhere.
A shuttle type domestic airline would be welcomed by more demanding tourists. I mean those seeking to escape the all-inclusive ghettos.

POP to Cabo Rojo for example, with 2 to 6 departures a day. The Jaragua National Park is a beauty, everyone has heard of Playa de las Aguilas, but how to get there? Driving 8 hours? This is not what people define as vacations.
There are other similar, unexploited routes and opportunities. Somehow imagination and money can't meet here.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Why? Any new airport will have an FBO terminal just like PUJ.
FIXED BASE OPERATOR (FBO) AND GENERAL AVIATION TERMINAL
The Punta Cana International Airport has a FBO terminal for private and executive flights, which accommodates small airplanes, helicopters and executive jets for international and domestic flights. Located on the West side of the International Terminals, the FBO is a private terminal, aircraft parking apron which provides all standard general aviation staffed by airport operations personnel. In addition, we are currently offering a general aviation parking ramp and passenger terminal to be used for regional air taxi operators (tourist excursions etc.) . ***Both terminals are operated by the airport.
The FBO Terminal is available from 07:00 – 21:00, 7 days a week with additional staff for off-hours operations.
https://www.puntacanainternationalairport.com/airport-services/private-planes

Sure.And $50 minimum just to talk to them.(PUJ).
No tie-down or parking service, hangarage or maintenance but to use the toilets or lounge still costs $50 (POP & PUJ) minimum.

The $10 a day parking fee,aircraft less than 12500 lb, is paid separately.

There are no free FBOs in the DR,whether you take fuel or not.Small private planes can't pay that sort of money.($108 so-called 'passenger handling fees 'in SDQ) or just for filing a flt plan.,getting the weather, a cup of coffee or asking for the fuel truck.
Airport taxis are about double the town price also.

If you want a shuttle or rental car you'd better get the platinum card sharpened.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
This is the new airport proposed near Macao.

Through Decree Danilo Medina authorizes construction of Bavaro Airport

By decree 270-20 issued today by President Danilo Medina, the Bavaro International Airport is designated as the port of entry and exit for international air traffic in which customs and immigration formalities and formalities will be carried out. , public health, veterinary, phytosanitary and zoosanitary regulations, airport security and other government requirements, in accordance with Article I (i) of Law no. 491-06, of Civil Aviation, of December 28, 2006, and subject to compliance with the provisions of article 4 of this decree.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Because right now that is urgently needed. Another airport in the DR right next to another one that will be at 50% capacity now.