New Bavaro international Airport in Macao.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Danilo signed a decree which was essentially a repudiation of Frank Rainieri's stranglehold on the 'gateway to the DR" and create competition. It's both astounding and amazing.

Saying another airport is not needed because AZS is never used is just silly.

Somebody post Decree 270-20.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
another Airport would be perfect for Punta Cana Area...it would be useless like half the other sh^^ they are building now.. just another place to clean money🤭

Reactions: GusFring

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
This airport is for the long game. DR will ways be a viable long game play. There are no short game plays in the DR. It's always been a long game play...

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The video is a little long and if you don't understand Spanish, not interesting. There are ways to translate it like Google translate/transcribe that will display the English translation as Sr Hazoury and the interviewer speak. You get a translation that is very imperfect. Only interesting to those who like to listen to a successful Dominican entrepreneur. And his promotion of new airport. Here is the start of it, which veers off into COVID situation.

We have been developing this reality, we already have here the engineer Abraham Azul and president of the Abrisa Group and the Cap Cana group in the intro of us we raised how we are concerned about the destination because of what this tourist destination implies, what is the East area? What is rock for here? We are talking about the main known tourist pole in the world on planet earth in the middle of a pandemic, totally in the obstacles that it is pandemic. It has created the whole world and a pandemic moment. I thought that humans as we were going to unite more, we are going to think more that in the union is the force that is in invisible Vigo, that we have not been able to defeat it, not the only way is by uniting.

And working with common objectives, I believe that this is how the development of this tourist destination is achieved and a large part of the country depends on its development, because income from the country when they are restricted when it is recent, then I also made the country weak, that's why I am concerned about entrepreneurial businessmen in this area who have invested a lot of money and their dreams have put them, I have put women in this area instead of being united, a conflict has been generated over something that I understand is going to develop the region around here we have some of its protagonists that she opens me to Zurich and I want to engineer, frankly and openly everything because our objective here is to find solutions welcome to the reality show in the middle I have only to thank the invitation.

And as a spectacular day I appreciate your interest I appreciate your good will as always, to seek the best for the country, the best for each region. You never know my city is like that and I have always followed you and once again you are doing what you have always done, I am not surprised because you look with the community and your program is very interesting, very deep. I am going to feel that I deal with some issues, that I already dealt with the government in the morning, but that I feel like running in the zeta early earlier and they are issues that cannot be left out as you say difficult moment union segment the moments difficult times are to capitalize on the muscle that a country has to try to get ahead.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It's interesting to watch this game of chess being played and the players. Still waters run deep.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
And now this...

Cap Cana Group and Bavaro Airport accused of money laundering​

The National District’s public prosecutor was empowered to file a complaint against the presidents of the Bar Association of the Dominican Republic (CARD), the Cap Cana Group, and the Bavaro International Airport. They are accused of alleged fraud against the State by carrying out simulated transactions that exceeded 2 billion pesos without paying taxes.

The complaint was filed before the prosecutor Rosalba Ramos, against Miguel Alberto Surún Hernández, Abraham Hazoury Toral, Rafael Fernández de Castro, of the Bávaro International Airport and the Cap Cana Group.

According to a press release, the submission for money laundering and criminal association was filed by the North American businessman Mariano González Díez and his company Maho Trading through the lawyer Jorge Lora Castillo.

In this instance, the prosecutor’s office is requested to investigate the proposals in the complaint, besides asking for preventive imprisonment under the seriousness of the charges and the illicit acts denounced.

According to the lawyer, with the submission, it is sought to eventually compensate the Puerto Rican doctor González Díez, the buyer of a plot of land in Cap Cana, for about US$2,970,000 in 2007. The payment should have gone to an escrow account and the funds used in Trump’s Los Farallones project’s infrastructure works, which did not occur.

The complaint states that due to the improper use of these resources and non-compliance, the investor went to the Alternative Dispute Resolution Center of the Chamber of Commerce and Production of Santo Domingo and Cap Cana was ordered to pay the US$2,970,000 and an indemnity for damages amounting to US$567,636, last December.

According to the complaint, Surún Hernández constituted the commercial company CVC ONE, Inc. in Panama with a minimum capital on November 11, 2009, registered it on May 21, 2012, at the Chamber of Commerce and Production of La Romana and subsequently used it in collaboration with Hazoury Toral for the purchase of the land where the Bávaro International Airport would be built for a total of RD$116,455,653.59, between June and July 2019.

The president of the Bar Association (CARD), in whose declaration of assets the foreign company does not appear, ceded the same to Hazoury Toral on 8 July 2019. Still, the transfer of the shares was registered on 27 August 2020. CARD receives public funds, and its president is obliged to declare under oath all his assets.

As stated in the complaint, the lands were sold to Aeropuerto Internacional de Bávaro AIB S.A.S. on 21 October 2019 for US$38,490,938, equivalent to RD$2,232,474,000, given that Hazoury Toral was also president of both business reasons, he sold and bought himself. Still, in just three months, he revalued 19 times what was initially paid by CVC ONE to the original owners of the lands.

“It goes without saying that the company CVC ONE Inc. itself had no legitimate, recognized or registered economic activity that allowed it to make these millionaire investments, supported by asset laundering, tax evasion, as a predicate offense, and above all, through the obvious use of frontman,” the complaint states.

In these financial maneuvers, the lawyer Lora Castillo warns of an association of wrongdoers to embezzle the Dominican State under concealment and patrimonial simulation. In his opinion, and given the low capitalization of the Panamanian company and its exclusion from the sworn statement of Surún Hernández, it is necessary to determine the origin of the resources used to buy the land where the Bávaro International Airport would be built.

The alleged purchases were initially made by Rafael Fernández de Castro, who enters the scenario of CVC ONE, Inc. owned by Surún Hernández, on May 5, 2019, when the board of directors grants him power for the “daily and current administration of the entity and acquire buy, swap and sell real estate.”

When the company was incorporated, the board of directors was composed of Miguel Alberto Surún Hernández, president, who held all powers; Catherine Castellanos Lora, vice-president Esperanza Victoriano Rosario, secretary.

Cap Cana Group and Bavaro Airport accused of money laundering (dominicantoday.com)

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
To me thats insane, we are not that big to have 1 or 2 airports in every province, we the new roads not necesary, Cancun is begger than Punta Cana and receive 4 times the flights that PUJ receive and only has 1 int airport.
Cancun airport is 4 terminals and accepts 24 million passengers a year. No comparison

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
If somebody wants to build another airport using their money, not the Government's money, why not? As long as it will not interfere with the safety of the air traffic of another airport nearby, I don't see anything wrong here. I see the problem if the construction will be halted and never finished and abandoned, but if they finish it, it's better to have another nice airport than just an empty lot covered with trash.

Reactions: Caonabo

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
If somebody wants to build another airport using their money, not the Government's money, why not? As long as it will not interfere with the safety of the air traffic of another airport nearby, I don't see anything wrong here. I see the problem if the construction will be halted and never finished and abandoned, but if they finish it, it's better to have another nice airport than just an empty lot covered with trash.
Well from that point of view you are right, but not because they open another airport will come more tourist and will be more jobs as I heard the people arround the area where will be build the new airport in case they could build it. Some airlines will leave PUJ if Bavaro give them better prices with mean they will earn more money but final prices will keep the same so only will win the airline as will have less productions cost, about more jobs, no they will keep same people working and in case they keep flying in both airports will be simple, they wont have flights runing at the same time in both airports so same workers will have go back and forth from one airport to another, still the winner wil be airline, and the flow of tourist will be the same just split between 2 airports.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The chess match continues. IATA weighs in.

(Google translation of part of Listin Diario article)

Bávaro airport construction ensures complex security operations

The construction of the Bávaro International Airport could entail complex security operations, due to the short distance that it would be located from the Punta Cana terminal.

This was expressed by Peter Cerdá, regional vice president for the Americas of the International Air Transport Association (IATA), in a letter addressed to the Minister of Public Works, Deligne Ascensión, where he states that the terminal, which is currently suspended, would be built just 24 kilometers from the Punta Cana airport, also implying special coordination and significant additional resources to operate.

He indicates that operating two airports so close to each other could lead to both operating at a loss, by dividing the flow of passengers and cargo.

Read more at:

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
This Supreme Court decision is the nail in the coffin for this project. For now. I think the third terminal is almost ready to open at PUJ. Which will accommodate the increase in the number of tourists arriving to this area for a few more years. Demand and construction continues to the north, however.

[Google translation]

Listin Diario
Actualizada lunes, 22 de mayo de 2023

Supreme Court fails against the airport in Bávaro

Failures. This constitutes the fourth setback, since the start of the litigation, for the promoters of the project in Bávaro.

The Supreme Court of Justice rejected an appeal filed by the Abrisa Group and the Bávaro International Airport, against a resolution of the Superior Administrative Court that establishes a position against the construction of an airport terminal in Bávaro.

The decision was made by the Third Chamber of the Supreme Court of Justice through judgment number SCJ-TS-23-0507 dated April 28, 2023, signed by judges Manuel Alexis Read Ortiz, Manuel R. Herrera Carbuccia and Anselmo Alejandro Beautiful.

The sentence establishes that "magistrate Rafael Vásquez does not sign this decision, because he participated in another stage of this process, as stated in the act of inhibition" of January 23, 2023...

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Punta Cana Airport is great. I don’t know why this Bavaro airport was even considered.

Interesting thread. By the way what happened to the poster Caonabo ?

Reactions: cavok