New Beef at Nacional

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Most may not know the meaning of sous vide. For all intents and purposes, some may believe you prepared your steak wearing a Speedo.
It's my special cooking Speedo. Doesn't everybody have a chef's Speedo?

I think I posted a thread about my first effort with sous vide. It it, without question, the best way to make an excellent, perfect steak every time.

I'm still experimenting with the temperature/time for each cut of meat. The longer in the bag, the more tender the meat. But at some point, it can become too tender as all the connective tissues break down.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
It's my special cooking Speedo. Doesn't everybody have a chef's Speedo?

I think I posted a thread about my first effort with sous vide. It it, without question, the best way to make an excellent, perfect steak every time.

I'm still experimenting with the temperature/time for each cut of meat. The longer in the bag, the more tender the meat. But at some point, it can become too tender as all the connective tissues break down.

Cooking a steak barefoot with only a Speedo on. What a novel approach. Watch out for those grease splatters.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Cooking a steak barefoot with only a Speedo on. What a novel approach. Watch out for those grease splatters.
IMG_1260.JPG

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Artificial insemination.

No need for "stud bulls" to speak of. Importing sperm is a lot less than importing a bull...and the result is the same.

The artificial insemination is a three year process and unless they are well orgainized and well funded the project will fail . Project might work in Jarabacoa but I doubt in San Fracisco Mcx where its too hot. Brangus is 65% Angus

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The artificial insemination is a three year process and unless they are well orgainized and well funded the project will fail . Project might work in Jarabacoa but I doubt in San Fracisco Mcx where its too hot. Brangus is 65% Angus
The project has been underway for three years now, and is fully funded persionally by the owner of CCN, one of the most successful retail chains on the island, the owner of Nacional, Jumbo, Casa Cuesta and others. He says it's a 10-year project.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Let's face facts: good beef is expensive in the DR, and what we consider "good beef" here is average in the states.

Two years ago I posted about a new strain of local beef the owner of CCN (Supermercado Nacional, Jumbo, Casa Cuesta and a few other retail stores) was producing, a cross between Angus (yummy flavor) and Brahma (heat resistant) called Brangus: http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/157987-Prime-Beef-in-Santiago!?p=1719594&viewfull=1#post1719594

Well, it's here.

I got a heads up this new strain is being introduced in stores. The cattle are crossbred and raised in Jarabacoa, then shipped to the La Romana area for fattening and processing (sugar cane?).

I saw my first Brangus in the Nacional on Estrella Sadhala yesterday and bought two cuts, a 2lb. Cowboy (bone-in) ribeye and 1.5lb NY strip.

I'm cooking the strip this evening sous vide.

The price is RD$250 less than imported. I paid RD$545lb. for the rib-eye/ UD$5.00lb. is a LOT less.

But what about the quality? That remains to be seen. My first impression is slightly less marbling than the imported choice, and a little more red in color. Neither offers the WOW factor, although it looks much better than the usual domestic beef of similar cuts. More on the strip tomorrow.

Here is the ribeye:
IsuAJo.jpg

The butchers pack in in a cute foil-lined bag. Not sure what difference it makes other than the vanity factor:
svCVKB.jpg

So stay tuned for my first effort at cooking higher-quality, locally-produced beef. But at that price we may eat more IF the quality is decent.

Stay tuned.

Pre-Props to CCN for pulling this off...
Follow-up on the Brangus Ribeye.

The Cliff Notes version: could not tell any difference from the imported ribeye usually offered by Nacional.

Very, very good at a savings of around US$5 a pound.

Brangus is our new go-to for good beef in the DR at a reasonable fare.

Recommended. Give it a try.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
while in santiago we got some brangus to try. we bought ribeye and brisket stripes. made the brisket cuts yesterday. the meat is very tasty but a tad hard, my fault really, i should have marinated it but i had tons of baking to do and very little time. in all, i will buy again for sure.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I just buy filet of beef at national, and none of that imported stuff ( which isnt to my likings ), and its real cheap ( especially compared to back in europe ), i got 3lb a couple of days ago for less than 1000 pesos ( around 900, i think ).
Only beef cut you can cook for 2 mn in a pan and is tender. Every other cut, i drown ( cover the whole of the meat ) in a bouillon then stick in the oven for 2 hours....... only way for it not to taste like plastic shoe soles :(

They also had promotions on pork filet mignon and local bacon ( which was very good ).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Do they have a store in Puerto Plata?

nope. but i will check if they sell any of this stuff in jumbo, they have a good meat selection.

Every other cut, i drown ( cover the whole of the meat ) in a bouillon then stick in the oven for 2 hours....... only way for it not to taste like plastic shoe soles :(

i use those cheap beef cuts for my simplified boeuf bourguignon: seal the meat first, cut in smaller pieces, drown in boullion and wine, pop in the oven and go about my morning runs/walks. by lunchtime it's as soft as baby seal's butt.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Brangus is half angus.

Colombia has had brangus for a while. Even have a chain called angus brangus.
I rarely eat beef in colombia as the brangus is just “ok”. Maybe sous vide would help.
Problem with colombia is the brangus is Ok so waaaay less places offer imported angus.
Also the locals do not notice a difference. On a few occasions I ordered imported angus in colombia and was very disappointed. It appears since they do not get many orders for it, they keep it frozen. From freezer to grill does not work. I have yet to try brangus here. In nacional here the angus rib eyes are often 650 pesos so not a big difference. I probably just eat steak once a month or less so of the difference is two bucks? Angus!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Colombia has had brangus for a while. Even have a chain called angus brangus.
I rarely eat beef in colombia as the brangus is just “ok”. Maybe sous vide would help.
Problem with colombia is the brangus is Ok so waaaay less places offer imported angus.
Also the locals do not notice a difference. On a few occasions I ordered imported angus in colombia and was very disappointed. It appears since they do not get many orders for it, they keep it frozen. From freezer to grill does not work. I have yet to try brangus here. In nacional here the angus rib eyes are often 650 pesos so not a big difference. I probably just eat steak once a month or less so of the difference is two bucks? Angus!
I just picked up a 5lb. Brangus three-rib rib roast from Nacional for Xmas dinner.It was on sale for RD$415 lb. The imported was RD$815. That's quite a difference.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Any thoughts on Argentine beef?

I love it...even the canned corn beef...a staple when I was sailing.
Hereford Cows are excellent . but not for tropical weather... high hills cool temps.
We used to raise them on the family farm 70 years ago..... wow, a long time ago.
How is that for aging?
Russell

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Nello's Carnes Selectas.... famous SD meat shop....
really good meats

All over the media ... no website...

Been talked about here before

Thank you. If someone has address, can you pass it along. BTW we're searching for beef hotdogs. Do not find here yet in PC. Any suggestions?