New Bravo in San Francisco de Macorís

JD Jones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
In case anyone is interested, BRAVO announced the opening of their newest supermarket:

Microsoft Office Translator
From today October 1st in San Francisco de Macoris! Branch number 22 And the fourth in Cibao! With our new fresh and renewed image, more spacious corridors and parking, 20 boxes for your comfort and ready to provide you with fresh products, with quality and at low prices. We are pleased to be in this beautiful city recognized worldwide for cocoa and rice thanks to its good and hard-working people. We are located at RD -19 Av. Presidente Antonio Guzmán Fernández, San Francisco de Macorís. Everyone is welcome.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Heard they were protesting because some people didn't want a Bravo in San Francisco.
It would be interesting to know what people (those with a vested interest to keep competition out).
When a new Bravo opened up close to me, I noticed it did not bother the road side vendors of fruits and vegetables at all.
In fact they are all up and down the road where the Bravo is.
Bravo is rarely a leader when it comes to placing their stores.
From what I have seen they goto areas that are underserved and have an immediate impact.
It takes about a week for people to realize they are open and then they are packed.
I have never heard anyone complain about Bravo other than the prices, lines and small parking lots.

Reactions: JD Jones

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
It would be interesting to know what people (those with a vested interest to keep competition out).
When a new Bravo opened up close to me, I noticed it did not bother the road side vendors of fruits and vegetables at all.
From what I have seen they goto areas that are underserved and have an immediate impact.
It takes about a week for people to realize they are open and then they are packed.
I have never heard anyone complain about Bravo other than the prices, lines and small parking lots.

Having joined SmartFit in San Isidro, I stop by Bravo almost every time I go. Very nice store. Much better selection than the Boca Chica Ole. However, in Ole's defense it's much smaller than the Bravo. Still, I've gotten fresh blackberries, blueberries, and smoked gouda there. Never seen bad produce except some plums that were well past their best.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019

Dupe. Thanks Altice's alleged wifi!

• Haha

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
When going to my in-laws we normally go to La Sirena in SFM. Looking forward to Bravo.

JD Jones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
The stores are nice enough. At times I'm irked at the lack of variety, but other times I'm surprised at some of the items they carry.

They now have 22 stores so they must be doing something right.

Then again, Look at Ferreteria Americana.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
The stores are nice enough. At times I'm irked at the lack of variety, but other times I'm surprised at some of the items they carry.

They now have 22 stores so they must be doing something right.

Then again, Look at Ferreteria Americana.
One thing about BRAVO is they are very tuned into the individual markets where their stores are at.
There are three stores within a reasonable distance of where I live in EASTSIDE ‼️
They all seem to carry different individual items that I happen to like.
But I can't find all of those items in all of the stores.
Another thing that BRAVO excels at are the store branded products.
Often exceeding the quality of their imported equivalents and always a much better value.

Reactions: JD Jones

NALs

Polls Forum Moderator
Jan 20, 2003
Having joined SmartFit in San Isidro, I stop by Bravo almost every time I go. Very nice store. Much better selection than the Boca Chica Ole. However, in Ole's defense it's much smaller than the Bravo. Still, I've gotten fresh blackberries, blueberries, and smoked gouda there. Never seen bad produce except some plums that were well past their best.
Boca Chica has two Olé's. The one closer to La Caleta is bigger than the one closer to what could be called the downtown. But Olé as a chain does targets a cheaper clientele than does Bravo, so technically they aren't true competitions to each other even when they are next to each other. It's like having a Nacional next to a Sirena, overall two different customers. Aprezio targets an even lower income group than Olé, but those stores are smaller than the Olé near Boca Chica's downtown. Aprezio are found in barrios only.

Notice in SD Olé's are mostly in the suburbs and outskirts, not near the center of the city. This could be changing soon. On the otherhand, all Nacional in the capital region are in the National District plus the two in SDE.

Last edited:
Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica has two Olé's. The one closer to La Caleta is bigger than the one closer to what could be called the downtown. But Olé as a chain does targets a cheaper clientele than does Bravo, so technically they aren't true competitions to each other even when they are next to each other. It's like having a Nacional next to a Sirena, overall two different customers. Aprezio targets an even lower income group than Olé, but those stores are smaller than the Olé near Boca Chica's downtown. Aprezio are found in barrios only.

Notice in SD Olé's are mostly in the suburbs and outskirts, not near the center of the city. This could be changing soon. On the otherhand, all Nacional in the capital region are in the National District plus the two in SDE.
Thanks NALs. I've never been to the La Caleta Ole but will make it someday. I'm more anxious to see the piscina in Plaza Tonton than anything else. I didn't realize the differences in stores either.