New Condo/Apartment Building

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Found this on the internet forum so I want to share a nice new building that just finished construction. Anyone know about this one?

zsX4GTb.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: JD Jones and aarhus

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It looks nice but with unreliable electricity and earthquakes, it would be a non-starter for me.
These buildings normally are built to sustain earthquakes (although even the lightest earthquake is amplified the further up you go in these towers). In addition, the more luxurious ones have a collective back up generator for the entire building (others only for areas of common use such as lobby, elevators, etc) and they don't have an electricity issue. Many now have communal gas for the entire building making it unnecessary to buy gas tanks for stoves in each apartment. The stove is simply connected to the building's gas distribution infrastructure and the building's management takes care of buying the necessary gas and having the gas trucks fill the communal tank. Same with water (though you still need to equipe a water purification system if you want the faucet water to be drinkable or buy those jugs of water and placed separately in the kitchen), so basically every time you open a faucet water comes out. Many newer buildings also include a water heater for each apartment that usually is manually turn on or off whenever you're taking a shower or, like many people, simply leave it on. The switch is in one of the closets or pantry. Living in many of these buildings is actually very comfortable, you almost (key word) forget the DR is a developing country.

Last edited:
Reactions: cavok

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
It looks nice but with unreliable electricity and earthquakes, it would be a non-starter for me.
I agree. I actually think their architecture is quite creative. But for the reasons you mention I would also be sceptical.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
These buildings normally are built to sustain earthquakes (although even the lightest earthquake is amplified the further up you go in these towers). In addition, the more luxurious ones have a collective back up generator for the entire building (others only for areas of common use such as lobby, elevators, etc) and they don't have an electricity issue. Many now have communal gas for the entire building making it unnecessary to buy gas tanks for stoves in each apartment. The stove is simply connected to the building's gas distribution infrastructure and the building's management takes care of buying the necessary gas and having the gas trucks fill the communal tank. Same with water (though you still need to equipe a water purification system if you want the faucet water to be drinkable or buy those jugs of water and placed separately in the kitchen), so basically every time you open a faucet water comes out. Many newer buildings also include a water heater for each apartment that usually is manually turn on or off whenever you're taking a shower or, like many people, simply leave it on. The switch is in one of the closets or pantry. Living in many of these buildings is actually very comfortable, you almost (key word) forget the DR is a developing country.

I'm very skeptical of DR earthquake "standards". Don't trust living in building like that. Another thing is the backup generators. If they're not maintained, they will fail. I'm leery of the developer taking your money and then leaving with it. It happens here far too often I believe. I just wouldn't risk it, especially as a retiree when my peak earning years are behind me.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm very skeptical of DR earthquake "standards". Don't trust living in building like that. Another thing is the backup generators. If they're not maintained, they will fail. I'm leery of the developer taking your money and then leaving with it. It happens here far too often I believe. I just wouldn't risk it, especially as a retiree when my peak earning years are behind me.
I think the biggest problem is the folks who buy an apartment then never want to pay maintenance fees.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I'm very skeptical of DR earthquake "standards".
Basically, they are on par with the earthquake standards in the USA.

Don't trust living in building like that. Another thing is the backup generators. If they're not maintained, they will fail. I'm leery of the developer taking your money and then leaving with it. It happens here far too often I believe. I just wouldn't risk it, especially as a retiree when my peak earning years are behind me.
That depends on who the builder and management company. There are several companies that developed a reputation regarding their management, but usually people are willing to pay a premium for that security. Due to that premium, the apartments have a slightly higher price than otherwise. You do have to make your research on who is the builder, if other buildings were built by them, and what is their track record in these places.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Those poor little houses to the right at the bottom. Imagine having that monstrosity built within yards of your bedroom.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Those poor little houses to the right at the bottom. Imagine having that monstrosity built within yards of your bedroom.
If that were any other city, the developer would have to pay millions for the air rights to the little house.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
If that were any other city, the developer would have to pay millions for the air rights to the little house.

Yes, the whole planning system in SD is horrific. In other cities, things like traffic impact and impact on neighbours are standard. Quite often in SD they build another tower literally feet from the first one, I just can't imagine how you could be in one of those bedrooms looking straight into other bedrooms a few feet away after you get used to a view.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I know of a few houses that have had towers built on all 4 sides but the owners will not sell.

I can't begin to imagine living in a place where your view is a wall.

Reactions: MariaRubia