New Customs agency director cuts spending RD$400,000 in coffee mixers for DGA staff

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019

The new Customs Agency director Eduardo Sanz has been busy cutting wasteful spending at the department. Sanz says the department has orders to reduce taxes to help businesses survive Covid-19 pandemic and thousands of others that paid taxes are now being imported tax-free. He says taxes are down 40% mainly due to less imports as people are avoiding shopping for non-essential items.

In an interview with Pablo McKinney for his TV talk show, Sanz tells how he noticed RD$400,000 was budgeted for coffee mixing sticks. He noted that his coffee was never served with the mixers, and then toured several other offices and these too were using metal spoons, not stick mixers. He told his purchasing department to make sure no more mixers were purchased!

Sanz says his staff has been able to cut RD$55 million in a quick revision of spending at the DGA. He said the DGA is carrying out a...
Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NanSanPedro

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I had a hard time explaining a "coffee stirrer" to GF yesterday. I should have made a YouTube video. First I tried it with a pencil sketch and English sign language. No go. Then she tried her translator. She still looked up and down from the table of the drawing to the translator and had that foggy look on her face as she tried to put all these pieces together. Then I wrote the 400,000 rd on my pad and showed her her the DR news headline. It was a Lazarus moment. She burst out laughing and said "Why didn't they use s spoon"? Some crazy stories are tough to explain in any language.

Reactions: Mariahboater