New Dominican Restaurant in Toronto

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
no presidente :(

he did have some brugal behind the bar though!

we went there on the long weekend for dinner with a big group.

food was good and the people super nice.

maybe we can meet there sometime in the near future!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If you guys are having a get together up here I'm game as I'll be in The Toronto area most weeks for at least the next two months. It would have to be a work day though as I travel back and forth from Michigan M-F.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Do they have Presidente, or has anyone seen it in the beer or liquor stores?

Presidente is not available in Toronto (or anywhere in Canada to the best of my knowledge).

As I recall, closest place is in Rochester, NY, "Beers of the World".

viajar

Feb 19, 2009
Sounds like a great idea, we will be in Toronto in mid June onwards.

Too bad about the Presidente, will miss those fridges next to the gas pumps!

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
We made reservations for last Saturday, June 6th @ 6:30 PM. Once inside I turned to my friend and said that we were not going to stay here. So we left.

No offence, but we were not impressed at all. We ended up eating at a Thai Restaurant on Avenue Road and had a wonderful dinner. She spent the rest of her birthday evening/night with my sweetie and I.

I don't think I would ever recommend Cafe Santo Domingo. I'm sure the food must be good as I was told the cooks are all Dominicans.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I haven't been there yet so I'm interested in knowing what you weren't impressed with?

Wouldn't the Dominican food be the main reason for eating at a Dominican restaurant? ;)

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
cafe santo domingo has no atmosphere or ambience.

the only reason to go here is for the food....yummmm

best to go in a group as they have a room with a pool table.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Hi Anna,

As Sangria mentioned, no atmospher and no ambience for sure!!! We certainly were not impressed with the type of customers we saw inside. All I can say is OMG (OH MY GOD)..........Regards

Again, no offence to anyone. We sure do miss the Friendly Dominican Rest. on St. Clair since it closed.

TERRY

Feb 1, 2002
Intolerance

Gonganza, I'm really shocked at at your post, you barely set foot in my restaurant. You stood just inside the door, observed the 2 people at the bar and then left.
I wonder which of the 2 customers you were'nt impressed with! the Quadriplegic or his helper a Native American that feeds him his beer through a straw.Perhaps if you had ventured into the dining room or even the patio you would have observed a dozen customers enoying their meal.
You say you do not wish to offend, but if either of the 2 customers saw your post they would be deeply offended as I was.

TERRY

Last edited:

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Terry maybe you're too close to your restaurant to see how it can be improved. Gonzaga is a very tolerant and very sweet. You should just invite her back. My guess is that she would be looking for ambiance, good music, a little bit of the DR. She probably is marvelous cook herself and she would be looking for a little bit of the Dominican experience here in Toronto a break from the stress of living in a big city. Terry dear, if the first thing people see when they walk in are this sight you described (characters from "Midnight Cowboy", it's not going to lift their spirits. Those clients might be regulars (bread and butter) and you're loyal to them but if you want to also please the people who want a little diversion from the life here (where it's not unusual to a see quadriplegic or a Native American panhandling for beer money) you need to seat the people accordingly. She gave you some good feedback. Think about it.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I agree that the ambience could be kicked up a notch. I think the restaurant as it is appeals to Dominicans in Toronto because of the food (which tastes very good, especially my fav ? mofongo, and is presented nicely) but for anyone else just passing by or for someone who decides to try out a new international restaurant, there needs to be more to bring them back. I don?t know what to suggest other than try making it feel a little cozier. The first part of the restaurant is okay (the bar area) but the other big room, although good for parties, really lacks character. Maybe have the lighting more centered over each table with some white tablecloths rather than a big brightly lit room. Add some Dominican accents on the tables and a more inviting dance floor and front entrance way. Dominicans will help the restaurant as customers but there are not enough of them in Toronto to MAKE the restaurant so it needs to make outsiders feel like they have stepped into a little part of the Dominican Republic that makes them want to return. I hope that you (Terry) are not offended by my comments but I am just trying to help because I would like to see the restaurant succeed (despite the fact that I don?t really like the particular location although for the intended demographic it?s probably in the right spot).

One aside, although the food in general is very good, I have heard quite a few comments from Dominicans who have eaten there (including my husband) that the habichuelas rojas guisadas does not taste like a traditional recipe. A majority of the Dominicans in Toronto are from the North Coast and they have wondered if the recipe is more from the South or South-West?

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Hello Terry,

First I want to say that my background is Aboriginal of M?tis descent. First Impression is always the best impression. If you want to attract new customers who will give you referrals, ambience is very important to attract another type of clientele. I am entitled to my opinion (s).

We thought the outside of the restaurant looked fine, we were just expecting something more when we arrived inside. I would never offend anyone. Put yourself in our shoes for the first time and tell us how you would have felt?

It's not like us to go to a place and leave, maybe this will tell you something and that you need to revisit a few things for improvement. I hope you do not take this personally but feedback should always be welcomed good or bad. I could suggest that you have a look at how the Friendly Dominican was set up for ideas. If you want good PR, you have to earn it! I leave you with this to think about. Let's put this to rest!!!

Regards

Margaret
Thank you for your kind words

Fiesta Mama,
and for your input

Gonzaga

TERRY

Feb 1, 2002
Hello,
thanks to all for their advice and comments.I agree that the back room needs a bit of work but budget restraints limit any improvements for the immediate future.
As Fiesta Mama pointed out its good for private parties and promotions, and we get quite a few
But for me its all about the food. My wife is very particular about the quality of the meals that are on offer, herself and the other cooks really strive to produce the best Dominican Cusine In Toronto
Gongzaga perhaps were both right and we just got off on the the wrong foot.
I would like to invite you and your friend for dinner on the house.The 27th of June would be perfect as we have live entertainment that evening (especially if you like bachata).
Sincerely.
Terry.

Last edited:

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Hi Terry,

We both send our Thank You for the Dinner Invitation. This Saturday is not a good date for us, however, if it's ok, we will take a rain check. I've heard from a Dominican friend whom have eaten at Cafe SD with his friends and they really enjoyed the food.

I have meet Wilson Manuel and maybe we will have another chance to see him perform at Cafe SD.

Regards

OscarD

Oct 25, 2008
My wife and I had a wonderful dinner at Cafe Santo Domingo last weekend. Food was excellent! La Bandera was great, and best fried plantains ever! Even better than my mom's, if I'm allowed to say :)

Thanks to Wilson Manuel and friends for the music too!

If you google Cafe Santo Domingo Toronto, don't believe the google map or you will end up 20 km away (the restaurant is at Weston near Jane, NOT Major McKenzie north of Hwy 407!)