New fines for overstaying tourist card

Status
Not open for further replies.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Cuba threatening??? yeh a club that might whack d.r. !!!!!!!!:pirate: ferry from florida? police??? food? new adventures??? educated people???? wake up...of course i want to meet drs. and other educated peeps...be nice to do...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
And what will the governement do if we don't comply ? Round up all the "white people" walking down the streets and ask us our "papers" ?? How will "they" difference an "illegal" from a tourist ??

I'll wait and see. I'll fix it when it's broken. At my own risks, I know.

how they differ and do that??
you are joking again, right?
check ups on foreigners are done every once in a while here on the east for example, a lil road block checking the pasengers of selected cars included public buses. who has a up to date cedula at hand is good to go, who has a passport with a actual entrance visa at hand is good to go, who has none of those gets a ticket with a seat number on their bus to get his/her Immigrations Status checked Online at their offices in San Pedro. in case they have as usual a lot to do, it may take a couple days before oit is your turn to get yours checked. on such it does not matter if your face is white as snow or as dark as a moonless night.
i experienced such myself in person for example on a Express Bus ride from Bavaro/PC to Santo Domingo, entering St Dgo the Bus been stopped by a Immigrations unit, they bord with guards armed with long rifles and every passenger has to show a valid ID. on osuch ride some passengers had to leave the bus and stay with their new buddies, as they could not provide any accepted ID. ift hey want they just do such more frequently, like they usually check Moto co?os for the use of helmets sporadically, when they need some money for easter week or christmas eve or 27th of february celebrations, they can send out a few hundred extra units to run check points around specific areas at the same time and stop many vehicles atthe same day. years back such check ups been also done here in the PC area at night clubs/drink points etc, just that back in the day they searched for drugs and undocumented firearms, the same units can do such check ups at the same places for ID's. it does cost the government almost nothing extra for their anyways paid staff/Military/Police, just give them a jacket with the words "Imigracion" on it and all is ready for a round up.
and there are side options, like to not give access to a bank account to anybody without a valid DRCedula, cancel any car registration and/or car insurance not registered with a valid dr Cedula, prohibid Landlords to rent to persons without a DR Cedula etc etc etc. the government does not need to change any existing law nor do they need any significant moneys or powers to do such checks or restrictions. then you really need to stay on your campo and hide there in the hills.
oooh, a valid ID is mandatory in case you want to receive any assistance at a Hospital, just as one of many small examples.
but anyways,
I still have the same question:
what is the reason why a foreigner would not bring his/her papers in orden?
other than foreigners who are searched by authorities in other countries of course, but those they anyways can cattle up and dig all together in one big hole, i would not complain about such.
so what is YOUR reason to not move a finger to have legal papers as required here since ever, as none of that residency stuff is any new, it is mandatory at least since the 20 years which i am here myself.

Mike

MIke

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Calm down there, Pocahontas.

The Cuba scene is changing for Americans and we're taking a look at it, what's the crime?

And based on all of your travels and experience with Cuba maybe you're the guy to talk to about it.

nothing to talk about. it is simple procedure.
i take my passport, bord a plane and arrive there, welcome. the 2nd scenario is that i arrive by boat, show my passport, welcome. for a legal Free Person of this globe, not looked for anywhere, it is no problem to visit and have fun and then leave again. as often as wished. it is much more hasslesome for many nationalities to enter the USA for a weekend in Las Vegas. luckily not for me, to enter the USA i use my german passport and need no additional paperwork, as a Free Man of this globe, not searched by any country of course.

Mike

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Calm down there, Pocahontas.

The Cuba scene is changing for Americans and we're taking a look at it, what's the crime?

And based on all of your travels and experience with Cuba maybe you're the guy to talk to about it.

$50 to leave Cuba- exit fee. Over stay ?????

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I still have the same question:.............
other than foreigners who are searched by authorities in other countries of course, but those they anyways can cattle up and dig all together in one big hole, i would not complain about such.
so what is YOUR reason to not move a finger to have legal papers as required here since ever, as none of that residency stuff is any new, it is mandatory at least since the 20 years which i am here myself.

Mike

MIke

Exactly.....was so easy to legalize status before....now more difficult and you need a good reason to be wanting residency.... next move will include ownership of property over a large sum....as other islands........expect the big exodus to Cuba soon.....enforced

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
why bother traveling to the Haitian border??
go to the next immigrations office/next airport and pay for some extra months ahead of time, such is usual legal procedure, hassle free and cheap and no bneed to travel cross country etc etc etc. just extend legally your tourist visa.
If you know in advance you're planning to stay 3 months. Is it possible to pay 3 x $10.00 up front on arrival at the airport?
Or do you have to go to the airport each time your 30 day tourist card is about to expire and renew?
Or do you have to exit the country and re-enter after the initial 30 day tourist card expires to be legal and avoid the fine?
Mack.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i can't tell, never asked about that. i only know that you can extend a tourist visa. don't know if it is always for an other 30 days or if you can do it for more, but if you are in such situation i would recommend to ask Immigrations directly. where are you located?

Mike

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
If the answer is to get a stamp at the Haitian border I don't want to know what the question is.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
check ups on foreigners are done every once in a while here on the east for example, a lil road block checking the pasengers of selected cars included public buses. who has a up to date cedula at hand is good to go, who has a passport with a actual entrance visa at hand is good to go, who has none of those gets a ticket with a seat number on their bus to get his/her Immigrations Status checked Online at their offices in San Pedro. in case they have as usual a lot to do, it may take a couple days before oit is your turn to get yours checked. on such it does not matter if your face is white as snow or as dark as a moonless night.
i experienced such myself in person for example on a Express Bus ride from Bavaro/PC to Santo Domingo, entering St Dgo the Bus been stopped by a Immigrations unit, they bord with guards armed with long rifles and every passenger has to show a valid ID. on osuch ride some passengers had to leave the bus and stay with their new buddies, as they could not provide any accepted ID. ift hey want they just do such more frequently, like they usually check Moto co?os for the use of helmets sporadically, when they need some money for easter week or christmas eve or 27th of february celebrations, they can send out a few hundred extra units to run check points around specific areas at the same time and stop many vehicles atthe same day. years back such check ups been also done here in the PC area at night clubs/drink points etc, just that back in the day they searched for drugs and undocumented firearms, the same units can do such check ups at the same places for ID's. it does cost the government almost nothing extra for their anyways paid staff/Military/Police, just give them a jacket with the words "Imigracion" on it and all is ready for a round up.
and there are side options, like to not give access to a bank account to anybody without a valid DRCedula, cancel any car registration and/or car insurance not registered with a valid dr Cedula, prohibid Landlords to rent to persons without a DR Cedula etc etc etc. the government does not need to change any existing law nor do they need any significant moneys or powers to do such checks or restrictions. then you really need to stay on your campo and hide there in the hills.
oooh, a valid ID is mandatory in case you want to receive any assistance at a Hospital, just as one of many small examples.
but anyways,
I still have the same question:

Mike

MIke

Come on Mike, I mostly agree with ure posts on this thread....... but there......

Check ups on foreigners ???? Maybe on ure side of the island, wherever that is....... the only check they do on foreigners is because the probability of a handout is higher.......and only when they think ure an expat and not a tourist.....
Think papa joe from arkansas, jean-marie from france or even helmut from germany will be back over for a 2nd holiday, if they are "lined" up for a check, cos they didnt bring their passport to a beach outing ( as any normal person wouldnt....) ??? I mean come on......

The only ones that ask for ID, and rarely at that, are AMET. Usally its just DL ( my french one has always suffice, even after 8 months stints ), car papers that are not even in my name ( in my wifes but with her maidden name ), insurance papers, that are in my name ( but they never asked to see any ID or DL when I renew each year ).

Who, in their right mind, would hoard their life savings in a dr bank anyway ???
To open a bank axcount in an resevas, a passport suffices, said they. But I didnt do it.
To issue 2 credit cards on an existant account ( my wife's ), no ID was asked ( well yes my wife's but not mine ).
Pick up money sent from abroad ?? Passport number but entry stamp NEVER checked. Deliverd to house, ditto.

Been 3 times to public hospital over the years. Once for stiches ( maybe twice, cant remember, machete accidents ), once at 3 in the morning, delirious with typhus fever, once for a dog bite. Every time I was well recieved ( better than the locals, say the locals ). Treated and cared and injected for FREE ( even when I proposed to pay ). No ID required. They just log ure name and cause of visit in a book...
GP, pay them, no ID. Clinics, insurance card, no ID, or good ole cash.

So change just around the corner ?? Only if it is a circle not if it is a square. Change in the dr is more like the horizon, there but always out of reach.
So saying all "illegals" are going to get deported is just a big farce. Not even the dr gvt and migracion are saying this.......

P.S. BTW, recently I got my papers sorted out. But I also stash food, water, shotgunshells and boxes of 9mm ammo in previson of the Zombie Apocalypse so.........dont everyone get over excited.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
i can't tell, never asked about that. i only know that you can extend a tourist visa. don't know if it is always for an other 30 days or if you can do it for more, but if you are in such situation i would recommend to ask Immigrations directly. where are you located?

Mike

Back in 2011 before I got my residency application placed, I used to go down to Immigration on the Malecon and extend my visa (tourist card) for what was a small fee for several months at a time.........maybe things have tightened up since then and the process is not so straightforward. No idea if correct but the visa extension fees perhaps seemed less than the fines for overstaying mentioned.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The thread was to enquire on the rates for overstay..........I suspect a list of long overstay fines is going to be a thing of the past soon as all the controls exercised on other islands on illegal expats is gradually introduced here.

Expect banking controls soon.........accounts held by non residents restricted.....as is the case in all the other islands

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Come on Mike, I mostly agree with ure posts on this thread....... but there......

Check ups on foreigners ???? Maybe on ure side of the island, wherever that is....... the only check they do on foreigners is because the probability of a handout is higher.......and only when they think ure an expat and not a tourist.....
Think papa joe from arkansas, jean-marie from france or even helmut from germany will be back over for a 2nd holiday, if they are "lined" up for a check, cos they didnt bring their passport to a beach outing ( as any normal person wouldnt....) ??? I mean come on......

The only ones that ask for ID, and rarely at that, are AMET. Usally its just DL ( my french one has always suffice, even after 8 months stints ), car papers that are not even in my name ( in my wifes but with her maidden name ), insurance papers, that are in my name ( but they never asked to see any ID or DL when I renew each year ).

Who, in their right mind, would hoard their life savings in a dr bank anyway ???
To open a bank axcount in an resevas, a passport suffices, said they. But I didnt do it.
To issue 2 credit cards on an existant account ( my wife's ), no ID was asked ( well yes my wife's but not mine ).
Pick up money sent from abroad ?? Passport number but entry stamp NEVER checked. Deliverd to house, ditto.

Been 3 times to public hospital over the years. Once for stiches ( maybe twice, cant remember, machete accidents ), once at 3 in the morning, delirious with typhus fever, once for a dog bite. Every time I was well recieved ( better than the locals, say the locals ). Treated and cared and injected for FREE ( even when I proposed to pay ). No ID required. They just log ure name and cause of visit in a book...
GP, pay them, no ID. Clinics, insurance card, no ID, or good ole cash.

So change just around the corner ?? Only if it is a circle not if it is a square. Change in the dr is more like the horizon, there but always out of reach.
So saying all "illegals" are going to get deported is just a big farce. Not even the dr gvt and migracion are saying this.......

P.S. BTW, recently I got my papers sorted out. But I also stash food, water, shotgunshells and boxes of 9mm ammo in previson of the Zombie Apocalypse so.........dont everyone get over excited.

nobody said "all illegals" get deported, such is impossible. much "smarter" countries try tried their best and still have millions on their soil. but checks can be done well tiedened up, so the illegals need to get smarter, more vigilant, stay more home than traveling around. who stays at home in the shack on the countryside will most likely avoid any check for a full lifetime without any troubles.
sure nobody will bother a beach party to check ID's of tourists, the authorities have no intention of bothering the normal way of life in any area of such.
it is like the check points for illegal firearms, done once in awhile, at some times tiedened up for a short time frame with many check points in the same area within a short period of time, and then for extended time periods you do not recognize anything in the same area. but what wonder, each time they set up a checkpoint they "collect" dozens of guns within a couple hours, always. bad luck for the ones caught, many many others do not get caught at the same point/time of course, lucky them.

Mike

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Here we go again with this specklative BS. The RD is going to cancle the overstay fines and we all will be F ed.
The RD will not make a visa program like the one in the US. 3ed world harder to stay in then 1st world ? Seriously.
Some countries like people to come and stay for long periods of time, thy even make it easy to come and bring in there things from home.
So why do thy want everyone out? What do thy have to win ? What do I do that is so bad send to meny western union'$ ?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
We must look at the totality of the unfolding situation. Step one was the rule change about 18 months ago or so where several categories of residency applicants were eliminated (including the right to be an employee as a foreign resident) and some rolled into other categories. I remember this because it happened just before I started the application process at home.

Next came the requirement for criminal record checks from home that included finger prints. Letters of good conduct from the locals police station no longer are accepted. Previously a random number of applications were forwarded to Interpol for further checking. Now every applicant is screened by Interpol.

Next they did away with extending one's tourist visa. As of today, there is no way to extend your 30 day tourist visa. You are expected to come, have a good time and then leave.

As a prelude for the next phase, here comes the new cedulas. Get rid of all the fakes, and ensure that everyone applying for a new one is actually entitled to it. Good opportunity to make residency and the cedula expire at the same time. No dirvers licenses without a cedula. No residency, no cedula.

Now the banks are getting into the fun. Slowly but surely, nonresidents will be living out of ATMs. No more checks, wire transfers, deposits or credit - no bank account.

Increase the exit fees along the way and make it known that they will continue to increase over time. In short order, a crippling blow will be dealt when long term health insurance is denied to those who can't justify why they need a years worth at a time. Of course cash is always graciously accepted so you might want to start squirreling pesos away under the mattress. We foreigners do tend to get sick or hurt a lot.

When all this is water under the bridge and everyone has had ample time and warning, as others have said, the brown boots will board buses, stand at the checkout at the grocery store, approach you when you are buying gas in your big non-rental SUV and ask for your tourist visa, your passport or your residency card. Those who make it this far without getting legal are truly the stubborn ones or simply they don't qualify for residency here. In any case, it will only take a few high profile deportations where gringos lose their houses and their possessions and are returned home unceremoniously before the error of one's self-delusions become evident.. If you happen to have a wife and kids here who also aren't legal, at least you won't be going home alone.

"We" foreigners have had a pretty good ride for quite a long time here in the DR. I can think of nowhere else in the world that is/has been this tolerant of foreigners staying long past the time they should have left. Almost without penalty or consequence. Those days are coming to an end. All that's left to speculate about is how long it will be before the "purge" begins, how long it will be pursued and how many gringo lemmings will fling themselves off the cliff when it becomes clear that they have seriously underestimated the will of the govt to effect meaningful change.

Time will tell...

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
when it becomes clear that they have seriously underestimated the will of the govt to effect meaningful change.

this govt can't organize a good shyte. And meaningful change ? U do know where we live, right ?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There are forces at work here that extend far beyond the shores of this little island. I would probably agree that this agenda was not high on the list of priorities a few years ago. There are some serious economic and political penalties that will be imposed by the puppet masters (can you say IMF) if the DR fails to heel after they have been told. There is a deadline and it is approaching with every tick of the clock. Wait and see, this landscape will be much different by the end of the year.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Hmmm, let me guess.
I would say 107 light years.......
Oh and then it has to trickle down the line to PN, AMET, banks etc....... a couple more light years.....
Oh and then u have to get rid of corruption so those dangerous illegals cant bribe themselves out of the upcoming SS checkpoints....... a few more light years......
And randomly, need to man the check points with soldiers/Pn/whatever, with guys who can actually read correctly ( if they really are serious anout checking ID ), add on a couple of light years.

Check ure tourist visa while u are filling up a gas tank or shopping.........come on get real man !!!!! ( or send a motoconcho instead......).

So corrupt politicians, robbed gvt funds left right and center, steady rise in serious crime, chaos on the roads, 50% of the population surviving on guandules and arroz, electricity problems, running water problems, poorly paid police and armed forces, etc, etc.........
And they are going to control people buying gas ?..??....? Duhhhhhhhh.

I heard from a brick hard source that dr gvt is going to implant chips under the skin of the left armpit of every person in the country. Then they are going to monitor us by 14 geostationery satellites. If u dont have a chip implanted another constellation of 3 killer satellites will fry u to a crisp by ways of a fusion produced dense blue laser beam...........
Oh and all commercial transaction will also be done by this chip, and the currency will be based on gold reserves. And the metro will take u anywhere in the country on magnetic rails, in less than 15 minutes.......

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
We must look at the totality of the unfolding situation. Step one was the rule change about 18 months ago or so where several categories of residency applicants were eliminated (including the right to be an employee as a foreign resident) and some rolled into other categories. I remember this because it happened just before I started the application process at home.

Next came the requirement for criminal record checks from home that included finger prints. Letters of good conduct from the locals police station no longer are accepted. Previously a random number of applications were forwarded to Interpol for further checking. Now every applicant is screened by Interpol.

Next they did away with extending one's tourist visa. As of today, there is no way to extend your 30 day tourist visa. You are expected to come, have a good time and then leave.

As a prelude for the next phase, here comes the new cedulas. Get rid of all the fakes, and ensure that everyone applying for a new one is actually entitled to it. Good opportunity to make residency and the cedula expire at the same time. No dirvers licenses without a cedula. No residency, no cedula.

Now the banks are getting into the fun. Slowly but surely, nonresidents will be living out of ATMs. No more checks, wire transfers, deposits or credit - no bank account.

Increase the exit fees along the way and make it known that they will continue to increase over time. In short order, a crippling blow will be dealt when long term health insurance is denied to those who can't justify why they need a years worth at a time. Of course cash is always graciously accepted so you might want to start squirreling pesos away under the mattress. We foreigners do tend to get sick or hurt a lot.

When all this is water under the bridge and everyone has had ample time and warning, as others have said, the brown boots will board buses, stand at the checkout at the grocery store, approach you when you are buying gas in your big non-rental SUV and ask for your tourist visa, your passport or your residency card. Those who make it this far without getting legal are truly the stubborn ones or simply they don't qualify for residency here. In any case, it will only take a few high profile deportations where gringos lose their houses and their possessions and are returned home unceremoniously before the error of one's self-delusions become evident.. If you happen to have a wife and kids here who also aren't legal, at least you won't be going home alone.

"We" foreigners have had a pretty good ride for quite a long time here in the DR. I can think of nowhere else in the world that is/has been this tolerant of foreigners staying long past the time they should have left. Almost without penalty or consequence. Those days are coming to an end. All that's left to speculate about is how long it will be before the "purge" begins, how long it will be pursued and how many gringo lemmings will fling themselves off the cliff when it becomes clear that they have seriously underestimated the will of the govt to effect meaningful change.

Time will tell...
Any basis for all this speculation?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Truth to be told, the status quo will not be the norm soon enough. The signs posted with overstay fees will be taken off. They will be replaced with an entry ban accordingly with the overstay length/repeat offense.

This will not change from the status quo until after authorities are given the go-ahead to start the deportation raids and the new border security model fully in operations. That's to say, we'll be targeting the employers, not the people on the streets walking freely. They will be arrested at their place of work and the employer given a hefty fine per offense. Those that are walking about and living in the DR, will only get in trouble if involved in anything where police is called in and questions asked of them.

As many here have said, things will get harder for those without the legal permits to reside/live/work in the DR during their stay.

The sum of the little things, instead of the unexpected big things, will do the most damage to their plans.

We're currently adopting a model for our border and military, which will be used in the U.S.A. to deter illegal crossings. The DHS of the U.S. is fully in charge of deployment here and rolling out the model. Military personnel from the U.S. which will be the one in actual charge of the same deployment at their border back home, are currently carrying out their duty here in the DR's border. Drones are being used to detect preferred patterns employed by human traffickers.

Instead of using the old "one line of defense" model, the new model calls for a layered detection and protection coverage of the national territory. You can cross the border without being detected, but will get caught eventually as you make your way into the cities in the interior.

A military landing strip was built for the drones in Dajabon. One more is being built at Pedernales.

Just to be clear, the exit fee (penalty) will be used until the border is conservatively secured, not before.

There's no point in a revolving door as we have today. Deportation without a means to halt the re-entry has no point nor goals.

The present status quo will continue, but when you see the purge start, go get your residency in order. What comes after that will be strict enforcement nation-wide.

All residency/entries now go to Interpol, DHS, FBI and for all foreigners with any links via family to the middle east, to the CIA for background checks and clearing the terrorists list.

Amnesty= Check!
Residency galore= Check!
New Safe National ID system= Check!
Review or old cases + New cases Interpol + LE = Check!
Entry Visitor System = Check!
New Rules for New ID on Banks, work, etc= In Progress!
Border Security Seal= In Progress!
Purge=In the pipeline!
New Model/Visas= In Congress!

As of now= Status Quo as always!

The casual overstayer should not worry now. The long term residents out of the legal system yes!

As for Canadians, the DR and Canada are currently working on a Visa/open border system that will allow Citizens to get jobs, do business and live in both sides under a new set of pre-vetted temp immigrant visas.

The USA is already offering this to Dominicans via their 10 year, B1/B2 open visa program that currently renew expiring visas. All renewals that have been vetted are being done for 10 years B1/B2 categories.

Don't fret! There will be ample notice before the change and termination of the overstay fee model to the bans per period.

Status
Not open for further replies.