New Floods in Sosua Sunday Night

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
15193639_10154265390623720_7088386124024455879_n.jpg

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I heard it on good authority---my flame-throwing blow-dryer Dominican hairdresser, Clary (who loves NOTHING more than to be the bearer of bad news)---that three people were fueron barridas in Maranantha last night in the downpour.

May 29, 2006
"Some day a real rain will come...."

[video=youtube_share;2IAJFCxAP_Y]https://youtu.be/2IAJFCxAP_Y[/video]

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Flooding in the DR is a pastime.
Much of this flooding is caused by blocked storm drainage sewers. This is caused by Dominicans who love throwing their garbage on the streets. Since 'no es mi culpa" is the answer, one must assume they love these floods. The eyesore disgust felt by tourists who see this garbage everywhere style living does not bother the locals, they dont give a **** what foreigners think. But they fail to realize the floods, bacterial and viral infections it causes is still too much to comprehend. Not to mention fewer tourists to sell, scam and steal from.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Actually, the cause of the flooding is far more to do with deforestation. Huge land clearances in the hills along the north coast providing massive run-offs for the huge amounts of rain.
Its only going to get worse...

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005

This particular place is really bad, over the years they tried to make it better but it is still un-passable with little rain, the other part is next to Super Super on the street that goes down on the side, although you can walk by the banks on foot, motos and cars struggle to go through there.

Yes, they can make the drainage better and not throw garbage, clean etc. but to be fair there has been over a month of non-stop rain that really pours down ....

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Flooding in the DR is a pastime.
Much of this flooding is caused by blocked storm drainage sewers. This is caused by Dominicans who love throwing their garbage on the streets. Since 'no es mi culpa" is the answer, one must assume they love these floods. The eyesore disgust felt by tourists who see this garbage everywhere style living does not bother the locals, they dont give a **** what foreigners think. But they fail to realize the floods, bacterial and viral infections it causes is still too much to comprehend. Not to mention fewer tourists to sell, scam and steal from.

Sosua may be different, but I think things in Puerto Plata are under good repair. I've seen the crews out cleaning the storm drains from debris and such.

It's still a worthy rant, and I agree on your sentiments for litter. I told my GF that I didn't think the Dominicans cared much for their country because they trash it every chance they get. She was emphatic that litter had nothing to do with loving or hating their country. Perhaps, I've been permanently scared by 70's propaganda:

[video=youtube;8Suu84khNGY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Suu84khNGY[/video]

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Sosua may be different, but I think things in Puerto Plata are under good repair. I've seen the crews out cleaning the storm drains from debris and such.

It's still a worthy rant, and I agree on your sentiments for litter. I told my GF that I didn't think the Dominicans cared much for their country because they trash it every chance they get. She was emphatic that litter had nothing to do with loving or hating their country. Perhaps, I've been permanently scared by 70's propaganda:

[video=youtube;8Suu84khNGY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Suu84khNGY[/video]

it?s perspective, GR. in their mind, littering is simply getting rid of rubbish, a necessary function. to you it is filthy, and disrespectful to the environment and inhabitants.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
it?s perspective, GR. in their mind, littering is simply getting rid of rubbish, a necessary function. to you it is filthy, and disrespectful to the environment and inhabitants.

Sorry thats ' no es mi culpa" at a new level. You throw your waste on the street like its someone else' problem to deal with it, and this shows up in countless photos/videos etc. for all to see, its your fault!! People here will argue they are not a thief when caught red handed. The problem will never solve itself and until they admit they have a problem, it will never change. This years rain is an exception for sure. The illnesses cause by garbage floating down the streets is Mother natures payback as she doesn't buy the 'no es mi culpa' BS either.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Its not all that complicated GR. There is no plan, no love, no idea of lessening the tourism numbers. They just do not know any better. Most cannot read or write and live in the moment which is why they do not close doors, flush the toilet, turn off the water and lights, and my favorite is walk behind my car just as I am starting to back up. I have seen Dominicans move to the US and after only a few years they sort of act normal and stop most of this nonsense. I have even had one remind me to close the kitchen door behind me, took me a minute to recover from that one. A plan or anything even remotely involving intentional it is not but I do see how you feel. Staying on topic when will all this stop so I can make my flight reservations?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you are both right, i think. out in the campo/countryside it's an issue of deforestation plus extraction of materials from riverbeds and generally destruction of the environment. in the cities it's an issue of omnipresent rubbish, poor sewage infrastructure and generally situations created by people themselves.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Now don't get me wrong, in traveling around the country at various times I know their are definitely places where the trash is disposed in various open lots or wherever it seems convenient.

There seems to be these informal collection points that spring up. Empty lot, abandoned house, etc. The only pattern I see is convenience, and it seems to work as the trash guys pick it up occasionally. Although, they are horribly unsightly, and I would personally have a problem with the smell if I lived close to one.

From an efficiency stand point, our neighborhood has 4 guys and a flatbed truck. There's no mechanical nothing, so those guys pick up the small plastic bags and throw them on the truck. Another guy climbs around and tries to pack stuff in extra tight, etc. So, when they get to a garbage pile, they driver can get in on the action and it's more efficient for them.

I often wonder how these guys get paid. Do they weigh the truck and hence get paid by weight or load or what? They definitely work hard.

As for the large bins, they get emptied, but I've never seen it done. I suspect there is a crew that goes out in the night or maybe there are magic pixies that take care of things.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
They just do not know any better. [snip] and live in the moment

chronologically challenged, for $500, Alec.

They just don't see that events form a system that result in a predictable pattern of results.

I have repeating conversation with my girlfriend over her son:

Me: Your son needs books for school. Please get a list and where we can buy them.
She: Oh, he is very smart.
Me: Yes, he's smart, but without training or education, he's just as ignorant as the dumb kids.
She: He is very smart.

I wrangle a promise out of her to get the list of books, but it never happens.

It's madness.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
chronologically challenged, for $500, Alec.

They just don't see that events form a system that result in a predictable pattern of results.

I have repeating conversation with my girlfriend over her son:

Me: Your son needs books for school. Please get a list and where we can buy them.
She: Oh, he is very smart.
Me: Yes, he's smart, but without training or education, he's just as ignorant as the dumb kids.
She: He is very smart.

I wrangle a promise out of her to get the list of books, but it never happens.

It's madness.

a lady who lives in the apartment building facing the one i live in has a son about 14 years old. some time back i saw the kid just loitering around, and i asked his mom why he was not in school. she said he had no school uniform. i called a motoconcho, and told him to go to La Sirena and find out how much a set of school clothes would be. when he came back, i told him to take the kid there, and i gave the kid the money he would need for two sets of clothes.

let us just say i saw him loitering the next day...

leave them as you find them. you can?t fix this.

bellakins

May 31, 2008
You should go with him to the store or else...
The money will never be spent properly.

He needs guidance and more than that.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You should go with him to the store or else...
The money will never be spent properly.

He needs guidance and more than that.

i see what you mean. especially since he probably did not want to be saddled with the task of going to school, anyway.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
a lady who lives in the apartment building facing the one i live in has a son about 14 years old. some time back i saw the kid just loitering around, and i asked his mom why he was not in school. she said he had no school uniform. i called a motoconcho, and told him to go to La Sirena and find out how much a set of school clothes would be. when he came back, i told him to take the kid there, and i gave the kid the money he would need for two sets of clothes.

let us just say i saw him loitering the next day...

leave them as you find them. you can?t fix this.

Perhaps it was because it was raining :) :)