New Grocery Store in Sabaneta

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
dr

try the Linda brand clamato type..... a fraction of the Clamato brand price and tastes better - to me anywayLinda

Linda - Cocktail Cervecero
Where do you find this William ? We were at this new store today - couldn't find it anywhere. And I couldn't remember this name to ask for it

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I didn't see it there..... it is at Playero though.....

about 1/3 the price of Clamato and I prefer it
I had my local supermarket bring it in - and it sells well

canuckgirl

Nov 1, 2007
After several trips to the new Supermercado in Sabaneta, I decided I must post here. If you have not been there yet and you live in Cabarete, drive the 15 minutes and try it out. It is beautiful, light, and clean. The aisles are wide. The selection is good. There are some imported items, such as frozen imported steaks. Dick's provides fresh bread, but there is also a bakery. The men at the meat counter will cut the meat for you as you like it. You can see the beef and pork hanging in the refrigerated room. It is clean. No bad smell. There is an extensive alcohol and wine section. The fruits and vegetable are always fresh, unlike the stores in Sosua and Cabarete. Someone is always in that section, sorting through items and taking out the fruit or vegetables that do not appear fresh and good.

And, what a surprise for the DR. The customer service is fantastic! The owner greats me at the door or inside the store every time I go. He doesn't know me from Adam. He always says, happy to see you. The workers are always helpful, asking if I can find what I need. There are sufficient cashiers and no lines. And there is ample parking.

I cannot say about the prices, although I think they are lower. If you go, let me know. However, like in the US or Canada, there are many signs on items saying that the item is on sale and it shows the new price.

For me in Jamao, this store is much more convenient. No traffic and closer. I want them to succeed. I have no personal interest in this business. I just would like to see a business owner who appears to know how to run a business succeed.

Go try it, and let me know what you think.
I absolutely agree! I love this store! But it's always empty and I worry they will not be able to keep up the freshness if they have no turnover of clients. We need a lot more shoppers coming to shop there!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I wondered the same thing. All those nice cuts of meat, and very few people there. Same with all the fruits and vegetables. I've never seen more than about ten cars in the parking lot whenever I go by(mid-afternoon).

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Would it be worth it going there from Sosúa (close to the airport)? I mean with prices and everything?
Normally I've been going to Santiago, to buy my groceries at Supermercado Bravo, they have really good prices. For example, they have really nice turkey breast that is half price compared to something similar you can get in SuperPola or Playero and same cheese that in SuperPola or Playero cost 270-300$RD/pound for less than 200$RD, Just to name a few of the things that I've found that although having to take into consideration price of gas to get to Santiago, it actually is cheaper than buying those things here in Sosúa or in Puerto Plata.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It's a very nice supermarket, but I would say it's not worth the time and money to go there from Sosua. Some things are cheaper than at Playero, but it doesn't have the variety and selection that Playero does.

Reactions: canuckgirl

RayO

Mar 25, 2012
We have been here several times now and agree it might not last unless they get more customers. Their meat is very good, prepacked and from the meat cooler. Hopefully the bakery will expand. We are in RSJ and now prefer this over Garcia's in Cabrera.

Aug 21, 2007
I think this owner is going to succeed. Give him time. I spoke to him at length today. He has money and resources. Worked for 30 years in the grocery business in the US. Has 2 stores in the Bronx. Owns farms in La Catalina where he raises cattle and chickens. His meat and chicken is butchered and fresh each day. He says he uses a quality feed that is better than what others use here. When you enter the store, they give you a small piece of paper with the day's specials listed.

He lives in Sosua in a large house close to Hispañola Beach, so he can easily compare to Playero and Super Pola.

He told me the other day that anything we don't see in his store that we want, he is happy to get for us.....just a plain old nice guy. Let's give him a good chance.

I remember when the tiny supermercado first opened in Jamao. Previously, people only shopped at the colmaldos. They refused to go in because they thought that the workers should bring to you the items you want. It took some time for the shoppers to do business there, but now, the supermercado is busy all day long. Sometimes, in this country, it just takes a while for things to catch on.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
It’s been told that Jennifer Lopez is in the hotel in RSJ. Fermin had the day of his life, she wasnt there of cours, did you hear about that William?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I think this owner is going to succeed. Give him time. I spoke to him at length today. He has money and resources. Worked for 30 years in the grocery business in the US. Has 2 stores in the Bronx. Owns farms in La Catalina where he raises cattle and chickens. His meat and chicken is butchered and fresh each day. He says he uses a quality feed that is better than what others use here. When you enter the store, they give you a small piece of paper with the day's specials listed.

He lives in Sosua in a large house close to Hispañola Beach, so he can easily compare to Playero and Super Pola.

He told me the other day that anything we don't see in his store that we want, he is happy to get for us.....just a plain old nice guy. Let's give him a good chance.

I remember when the tiny supermercado first opened in Jamao. Previously, people only shopped at the colmaldos. They refused to go in because they thought that the workers should bring to you the items you want. It took some time for the shoppers to do business there, but now, the supermercado is busy all day long. Sometimes, in this country, it just takes a while for things to catch on.
I will definitely continue to shop at El Marinero as and when possible at it a pleasant experience and everything is so fresh. What is the name of the owner Lindsey? I think I met him with Tuly but not sure? Whoever I did meet took me on a guided tour of the store and also told me he would get everything we needed!

Reactions: Michael DR
Aug 21, 2007
I will definitely continue to shop at El Marinero as and when possible at it a pleasant experience and everything is so fresh. What is the name of the owner Lindsey? I think I met him with Tuly but not sure? Whoever I did meet took me on a guided tour of the store and also told me he would get everything we needed!
His name is Rudy, Shirley. He is I. The store almost daily.

Reactions: Michael DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sorry to hear that RayO

I feel just the opposite....rarely go to Garcia's any more

I'm trying to get my wife to try Marinero's