New Häagen Dazs in The Colonial Zone

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There is a new Häagen Dazs ice cream shop in the Colonial Zone. If you walk north on Arz Meriño from El Conde, the Häagen Dazs appears on the left in a white building ground floor.

Reactions: Seamonkey

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Don't get too excited. Despite its posh European name, the Bronx NY ice cream company is now owned by General Mills and made in Minnesota.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I thought Haagen Dazs was Walls
There is a new Häagen Dazs ice cream shop in the Colonial Zone. If you walk north on Arz Meriño from El Conde, the Häagen Dazs appears on the left in a white building ground floor.

I can't see it will do well in that location. Would have been far more sensible to put it on the Conde near Parque Colon to give it any chance of survival. The Colonial Zone is very very tough for retailers and almost none survive who are off the Conde. Dominicans with money to spend on expensive fast food don't like walking around outside, they tend to go for malls and the tourists seem to be mainly in search of souvenirs, SIM cards and cheap liquor. KFC and Pizza Hut have opened and closed several times over the years and their current operations are tiny.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
While that ice cream may be a step up from anything made on island, it is nothing special.

• Haha
Reactions: beeza

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
My local supermarkets all have Ben & Jerry's ice cream so I'm a happy camper.

Also Bon's "Don Alfonso" has always been a favorite.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Is there quality gelato available? Not prepackaged.

A lot of Italian restaurants do home-made ice-cream. I think there is a guy in Juan Dolio who makes it in his house and it's quite nice. I don't think you'll ever get really great ice-cream here because of the issues with refrigeration and power. Every time the power goes out and the fridge temps change it can't help the ice-cream quality. And it's kind of impossible to move it from where it's produced to where it's sold without coming into contact with the heat.

Reactions: La Profe_1

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
All of the malls I've visited have at least one Gelato maker.

Exodusbywind

Jun 25, 2022
Pennsylvania
A lot of Italian restaurants do home-made ice-cream. I think there is a guy in Juan Dolio who makes it in his house and it's quite nice. I don't think you'll ever get really great ice-cream here because of the issues with refrigeration and power. Every time the power goes out and the fridge temps change it can't help the ice-cream quality. And it's kind of impossible to move it from where it's produced to where it's sold without coming into contact with the heat.
Makes sense. I enjoy making gelato "for the grandkids"