new here - hoping to get some info on moving to DR

MagicMan678

Nov 15, 2021
United Kingdom
just signed up - was thinking of visiting/staying long term in DR before the pandemic hit, so now hope to do so. Hope to get some info on visiting, possibly working and staying for about 1 year.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Have you decided where you might be settling? That may bring some different answers as this country is so diverse. Knowing a little about your needs and desires might also illicit a more focused answer.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This school might be for you. I know people that taught there and they were satisfied.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
yes, planning on Santo Domingo, hoping to teach English at a private school or two there, possibly freelance if that can be done. How likely is that to work out?
Do you have a teacher's education/experience?

Reactions: SKY

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
just signed up - was thinking of visiting/staying long term in DR before the pandemic hit, so now hope to do so. Hope to get some info on visiting, possibly working and staying for about 1 year.
In order to legally work, you have to have residency or a special work visa. For one year, residency won't make any sense.

Getting a work visa? Perhaps a school would sponsor you for the meager amounts they would pay.

Working online teaching English to Chinese is something I understand a number of people do.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
To reinforce what has already been said, you cannot work legally in DR without residency. And if you don't have residency, you also can't get local medical insurance. Also you can't drive a car for more than 3 months legally on a foreign drivers licence. Opening a bank account without residency is also going to be very difficult, and employers will only want to pay your wages into a local bank account. And salaries for teachers, particularly in private schools, are atrocious, a few hundred dollars a month. You need to research this carefully, don't just rock up and think someone will employ you illegally and pay you what you'd make in the US, it's very different.

One positive suggestion I could give is to look at the Preply platform. You can do virtual English lessons on there and make about US$ 15 per hour (which is probably much more than you would make in a Dominican school).

Reactions: JD Jones

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
And if you don't have residency, you also can't get local medical insurance.
Unless something has changed recently, that's not true. I know people who live here without Residency, but have medical insurance. I have always had DR health insurance, even before I became legally Resident.

Reactions: SKY

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
If you don’t have a degree, it will be difficult to get any teaching job in Santo Domingo.

If you have a basic degree, depending on what it is is, you might get a teaching job. You will not make much more than a few hundred dollars a month in Dominican schools that would hire you.

With a basic degree (not specifically in Education), you can go through the process to teach online, as mentioned. I did the certification VIP Kid, but did not teach with them. With a good internet connection, you can make up to $4K US per month doing this. I verified that with a family friend who has been doing it for several years . Hours are in line with before and after school tutoring for Chinese students.

Freelancing online has potential, but you would need to build a client base and understand that market.

With a teaching degree, depending on your experience, you can get a job at one of the more prestigious private schools.
There is a huge range in salaries, anywhere from $17-$72K per year. Low end would be smaller, newer schools, high end is a teacher with significant experience and a Masters at Carol Morgan.
Higher end schools include various other bonuses such as flights, housing, moving allowances, and discounts at local gyms/supermarkets.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Unless something has changed recently, that's not true. I know people who live here without Residency, but have medical insurance. I have always had DR health insurance, even before I became legally Resident.

I don't have residency and I tried to get it and my broker said it was now not possible. I agree that it was possible in the past but not now. I think in any case if you can get it, they don't pay for any claims in the first six months, maybe longer, so it wouldn't work for someone who is only here for a year.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I don't have residency and I tried to get it and my broker said it was now not possible. I agree that it was possible in the past but not now. I think in any case if you can get it, they don't pay for any claims in the first six months, maybe longer, so it wouldn't work for someone who is only here for a year.
Have you investigated with Senasa? https://www.arssenasa.gob.do/index.php/plan-larimar/

SeNaSa Larimar es el seguro de salud ofertado a dominicanos, extranjeros (nacionalizados o con pasaporte) quienes desean adquirir un plan independiente, así como, para la diáspora dominicana que retorna de manera permanente o quiere obtener cobertura médica para su familia en el país.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
When I worked in the DR, I had Humano Insurance through the school and had to use it a couple of times in my first few months between August and December. I had no problems with those claims.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
When I worked in the DR, I had Humano Insurance through the school and had to use it a couple of times in my first few months between August and December. I had no problems with those claims.

Maybe things have changed then. They always have an exclusion period during the first few months of policies when you can't claim. At least it has always been that way for any of my staff.