New hotels for Puerto Plata?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you can find a real ticket POP to MIA for $400 all in let me know who and when. I never can get one for less that $750

Ever hear of Skiplagging? Book American POP to LAS one way for about $226 and go direct to Miami and get off with a free Carry on. Of course you are not supposed to do this, but hundreds do it every day all over the World............Not recommending just saying............

Reactions: Ecoman1949

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I got hooked on 1st class a few years ago and really liked it. Then came the Wuhan Flu and while the price didn't come down, the service did. I no longer feel it's worth the price, but then again I haven't flown in over 3 years.

Years ago, while I was still working, I got the Citi - AA Mastercard. If you book with them and that card, you're guaranteed to board in Group 5. I've always found that only the last 2 or 3 groups run out of overhead space. So if/when I take my next flight, it will definitely be coach.
Reserve your seat online, then grab a bulkhead seat at the front or an exit seat. Almost as good as first class.

Bonus? You're one of the first off the plane. A luxury in itself.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
business/first class is the only way I fly. Not because I'm a snob,I'm not,but it is one of the things I decided to afford myself in my retirement. But nowadays there is another reason and that is all of the misbehaved idiots,in business/first class you rarely have some loud obnoxious a-hole that doesn't want to play by the rules.
I have never seen such misbehaviour on a plane. I used to fly all the time for work. Never even got to business class tix then.
But whatever floats your boat. I will spend my money elsewhere and certainly not on extra costs to fly somewhere (or AI resorts) ..

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I have never seen such misbehaviour on a plane. I used to fly all the time for work. Never even got to business class tix then.
But whatever floats your boat. I will spend my money elsewhere and certainly not on extra costs to fly somewhere (or AI resorts) ..
I haven't been on a plane since the evolution of the flying Karen, but the only times I ever encountered misbehavior on a plane was the hop from JFK to Dingo. All the Dominican kids screaming and running in the aisles etc. In fact, once we had to land at Dulles (accompanied by fighter jets - a post 911 FAA requirement) due to 3 Dominican teenage boys harassing a flight attendant.

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Although there has been a record amount of misbehavior on flights the last couple of years, it's the overall "Greyhound Bus" level of many passengers in coach that makes me choose business of first class whenever possible. Being in business or first is a totally different environment - almost like being on a different aircraft. Unfortunately, the service isn't what it used to be.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ever hear of Skiplagging? Book American POP to LAS one way for about $226 and go direct to Miami and get off with a free Carry on. Of course you are not supposed to do this, but hundreds do it every day all over the World............Not recommending just saying............

This very likely violates the airline's terms. ("Illegal" might be putting it too strongly.) For example, here is the relevant passage from United Airlines' Contract of Carriage.

J) Prohibited Practices:

1. Fares apply for travel only between the points for which they are published. Tickets may not be purchased and used at fare(s) from an initial departure point on the Ticket which is before the Passenger’s actual point of origin of travel, or to a more distant point(s) than the Passenger’s actual destination being traveled even when the purchase and use of such Tickets would produce a lower fare. This practice is known as “Hidden Cities Ticketing” or “Point Beyond Ticketing” and is prohibited by UA.
  2. The purchase and use of round-trip Tickets for the purpose of one-way travel only, known as “Throwaway Ticketing” is prohibited by UA.
  3. The use of Flight Coupons from two or more different Tickets issued at round trip fares for the purpose of circumventing applicable tariff rules (such as advance purchase/minimum stay requirements) commonly referred to as “Back-to-Back Ticketing” is prohibited by UA.
K) UA’s Remedies for Violation(s) of Rules - Where a Ticket is purchased and used in violation of these rules or any fare rule (including Hidden Cities Ticketing, Point Beyond Ticketing, Throwaway Ticketing, or Back-to-Back Ticketing), UA has the right in its sole discretion to take all actions permitted by law, including but not limited to, the following:

1. Invalidate the Ticket(s);
  2. Cancel any remaining portion of the Passenger’s itinerary;
  3. Confiscate any unused Flight Coupons;
  4. Refuse to board the Passenger and to carry the Passenger’s baggage, unless the difference between the fare paid and the fare for transportation used is collected prior to boarding;
  5. Assess the Passenger for the actual value of the Ticket which shall be the difference between the lowest fare applicable to the Passenger’s actual itinerary and the fare actually paid;
  6. Delete miles in the Passenger’s frequent flyer account (UA’s MileagePlus program), revoke the Passenger’s Elite status, if any, in the MileagePlus Program, terminate the Passenger’s participation in the MileagePlus Program, or take any other action permitted by the MileagePlus Program Rules in UA’s “MileagePlus Rules;” and
  7. Take legal action with respect to the Passenger.
--Nate Eldredge

Reactions: cavok

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That's why there are usually "stand-bys" at the gate for many flights. Airlines will not hesitate to fill a "no-show" flyer seat with one of the stand-bys".

Reactions: NanSanPedro

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
You can find decent prices RT to POP, just depends on the dates you're looking to travel. Unfortunately, not everyone can be that flexible with dates so the price maybe higher. Also, with AA (and some other airlines) the lowest prices are "basic economy" which only allows a carry on and no seat selection.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
more leg and body room is the main reason. You can also check 2 bags, sometimes 3. The contractors that supply the food are much much better in the last 10 years. I have not flown coach/economy in over 15 years, A ticket to Bangkok next month is 6500.00 and that's business class not 1st class.
Plus premium services, checkin, security, lounges, a quiet cabin, bathrooms.
On WJ Boeing 737-700 there are 12 Premium wider seats with more pitch forward, sharing one bathroom with the pilots.

118 standard seats in Economy sharing one bathroom aft in calculated discomfort, with long line up's
Even on a four hour flight YYZ-POP, less than a pleasure, food and drink charge.
Standard check in, no luggage or pay for one suit case.

On long flights to Asia for me business class is a minimum requirement.
Of course one could fly LH direct to FRA Non Stop have a pleasant few day's stay and continue on Thai airways Non Stop to BKK.
From the West coast long flights are a torture, best option with a lay over In Tokyo, or Hong Kong.

EU flights to DR are also Long enough in duration with stops, depending if lying from Germany os Spain.
Non stop from EU to POP is best if one can find one, to enjoy future luxury POP hotels when they are completed.
It will take a while, but if becoming reality more EU flight options and tourism may be the result.

One can still see quite a few Russians in Punta Cana.
Also in Infinity Blu and Sosua Ocean Village.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is a new building that has been under construction for the last few months right beside Iberostar. Another hotel or condo? Huge lot.
No signs up? Looks like condos to me if this is the location: