New Law - Foreigners Squatting on Private Property or Government Property

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
On November 11, 2022 president Luis Abinader signed into law (should be in effect in 2023) regarding foreigners squatting on private property or government property without the owner's concent. The law obligates the following:

- The National Police will create a special unit devoted to these crimes.​
- The Interior and Police Ministry will be involved in prosecuting the foreigners caught invading/squatting on private property or government property.​
- The Migration Ministry will be involved in the deportation of any foreigner proven of this crime. All foreigners deported for this crime will be prohibited from entering the DR ever again.​

B36954D7-E052-463D-B7B5-937F5817C7F9.png

EC7E8723-486B-4984-8ADD-0FFB871853B2.png

Reactions: bachata

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Dominicans can't be deported.
Not but they can be evicted. I have a Dominican friend who had property between Puerto Plata and Sosua.
He came to work in Puerto Rico and as a result he lost the property to Dominican squatters

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Not but they can be evicted. I have a Dominican friend who had property between Puerto Plata and Sosua.
He came to work in Puerto Rico and as a result he lost the property to Dominican squatters
My wife's Grandfather lost around 400 tareas near Constanza to rich squatters. He went to court with his valid title and the judge said nope these other people have a more recent and valid title with paperwork saying you sold it to them. That was in the 1980s. Fortunately he had already partition some off that his daughters were living on so he didnt lose everything, but damn close. Justice for the rich.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Is the writer of post #6 saying that straight fraud and theft of property is allowed to happen in the 🇩🇴 ❓

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I proposed a question to the writer of post #6 and did not ask the opinion of writer of post #8.

Either way Dominicans have nothing to do with the new law because the new law applies to: "foreigners squatting on private property or government property without the owner's consent".

You see I read post # 1 as it was written.
It is very clear and no conclusions need to be drawn.

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
So if some surfer tourist is behind on rent by a few months, they can be classified as a squatter and deported?

Reactions: Auryn

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
So if some surfer tourist is behind on rent by a few months, they can be classified as a squatter and deported?
if they're behind on rent, that should imply they signed a rental contract and are not squatters I would think.
If you are in violation of the rental contract and they have asked you to leave you are "a foreigner squatting on private property without the owner's consent".

Now, that is my opinion as a lay person reading the letter of the law.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If you are in violation of the rental contract and they have asked you to leave you are "a foreigner squatting on private property without the owner's consent".

Now, that is my opinion as a lay person reading the letter of the law.
But, the renter might have a counterclaim that may stay the eviction. Play back and forth for a year or two. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I've never seen nor heard of "foreigners" squatting anywhere down hear.
Only Haitians.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If it means the breakage of the renter's contract, then...
Two seperate circumstances.
It's my understanding the eviction process can take up to 8 months with court proceedings, unless something has changed in the last few years. Sounds like squatters will now be removed immediately and prosecuted.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas