New Liquor Curfew Ordinance

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Perhaps its my NYC'er mentality.

But for me...later hours means more people on the streets and to me i feel safer with more people on the streets (even tho some are buzzed and some are criminals). I just feel better with the safety in numbers theory.

I have lived in smaller cities that close earlier...and have seen that crime actualy spikes after the clubs/bars etc close at 1 or 2. With the clubs open...at least the 'element" is in a controlled environment.

I have always felt comfortable walking around B.C. around 2am in the morning...cuz there are pleanty of late night tourists out and about. Now if i get restless at 2am (while on vacation) i would be hesitant to go out.

I am sure that if i wanted to i could stock my room up with brugal and presidentes and that i could chill with other people in the non-ai that i stay in. But then this presents a problem (which i encountered 2 years ago)....its very annoying to the other guests in small hotel if one group of people want to hang out and have some drinnks (and get loud) when other people want to sleep.

I think a compromise might be in order. Boston lives with 2am rules all week. I think that is reasonable (especialy as an old fart of 42 i dont need to hang till 4am lol). with 2 am you can sustain a healthy and active and creative nightlife that makes both tourists and locals happy...yet try to reign in crime and maintain some order.

olddog

Jul 14, 2006
I never drink and drive..ya can spill some!!!

They pulled this stuff in TX years ago. The bars closed at such and such a time BUT, you could order as many drinks as you wanted right at closing. Shut the cash registers down, let the beertenders BS with the patrons who have their "stash" of drinks in a nice paper bag. Paper is a good insulator and should hold the beers cool for two or three hours.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
carrito de marchena was shut down by authorities last night. The owner insisted that he doesn't sell alcohol but the military didn't care and shut them down. carrito de marchena is 24 hrs restaurant in santiago and a very popular place for after disco crowd. This afternoon I saw a few soldiers sitting inside the restaurant and not a single customer. Could it be that they are closed down by the authorities indefinitely? I hope Marchena works out his differences with the military.
AZB

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I have just heard a rumor the new curfew hours will be changing for "some establishments" with some later hours starting next week. As soon as I have more info I will post it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What the &#@$^??????? Marchena took out all alcoholic beverages. He doesn't sell any beer or rum at any time day or night. He is no longer subject to the law!!

This is a terrible abuse...

I do hope this is not true today!

HB :(:(:(

Jan 5, 2006
This Marchena thing sounds like they're trying to shut him up, since there was an article yesterday in one of the national newspapers about him no longer selling alcoholic beverages and keeping the place open 24 hrs/day in protest of the new regulations. Typical DR!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The dominican military and police swing hand in hand with the international cocaine trade and dominican drug kingpins.
These new measures is Leonel wanting to look like he is doing something, but whomever the next president is has to have the courage to go after the drug lords who are bringing this poison into the country. Drug trafficking is so ingrained in dominican culture that it would take a brave man to go after the real root causes of crime on the island, because it certainly aint' the beer that flows or the discos staying open after midnight
Wanna get rid of crime, more Presidentes and less CRACK.

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
Sosuanews is saying next week all bars during the week will be open until 2 AM and weekend 3 AM

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Sosuanews is saying next week all bars during the week will be open until 2 AM and weekend 3 AM

LoL....well...i am glad that SOMEONE listens to me!! Shall i start my presidential campaign now....or should i just have a presidente :cheeky:

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
To many jobs would be lost and beer sales way down, that's why they had to change the times

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Could they possibly have "hedged" any more with that report?

We'll see.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The dominican military and police swing hand in hand with the international cocaine trade and dominican drug kingpins.
These new measures is Leonel wanting to look like he is doing something, but whomever the next president is has to have the courage to go after the drug lords who are bringing this poison into the country. Drug trafficking is so ingrained in dominican culture that it would take a brave man to go after the real root causes of crime on the island, because it certainly aint' the beer that flows or the discos staying open after midnight
Wanna get rid of crime, more Presidentes and less CRACK.

I think you have confused this Island with some ghetto from the bronx. Yes there are drugs in this island but living here for 8 years and traveling here since 1986, I have never seen drugs anywhere. I have not met a single dominian who has tried cocaine or even marijuana. This not like walking though NYC parks where people will sell you anything. Yes, the drug dealers might use this island to ship drugs but generally speaking domincians are not hooked on drugs as you see in major cities of usa.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Going back to topic.
I have heard that owner of marchena was arrested in addition to closing down the p,lace.
Now I also saw supermercado central closed down at 2pm on estrella sadahala. This is the other branch in buenos aires, I am not sure about the other one behind nacional. These are 24 hrs super markets.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I think you have confused this Island with some ghetto from the bronx. Yes there are drugs in this island but living here for 8 years and traveling here since 1986, I have never seen drugs anywhere. I have not met a single dominian who has tried cocaine or even marijuana. This not like walking though NYC parks where people will sell you anything. Yes, the drug dealers might use this island to ship drugs but generally speaking domincians are not hooked on drugs as you see in major cities of usa.

Some people go through life with blinders on, except for beautiful high class Dominican women ;-). Even the Chief of Police recognizes that there are at least 20.000 drug selling locations (puntos) in the country, which exist only because of the protection money demanded by corrupt police elements. Also, it is difficult to not notice that drugs are not only consumed, but are given and received in payment, in lieu of hard cash. As a means of exchange, a kilogram of pure cocaine is called a "poder". So you may hear when asking the price of something, that it will cost you, for example "tres poderes".

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I have to agree with Mirador, AZB, drugs are readily available here. I have personally been offered drugs in and around Playa Dorada. And before you say it is a north coast thing, I've also been offered drugs in Santo Domingo and in Juan Dolio areas.

Drugs are a very real and growing problem here! And where there is drugs there is increased crime.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The I guess I live a church because I see no drugs nor I see domincians who look to buy drugs. You want drugs, you will find them anywhere in the world but if you are the straight kinds, you will never see drugs in DR. I don't generally see dominicans looking to buy crack or a joint. Almost all I know just want to drink and enjoy. But some poster sound like drugs are sold on every street corner of this island. This in not true at all. You want drugs, you would have to know tigres in barrios who have contacts with the right people. Its not central park where people sit around and have a casual joint.
AZB

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Oohh Nooo!!

carrito de marchena was shut down by authorities last night. The owner insisted that he doesn't sell alcohol but the military didn't care and shut them down. carrito de marchena is 24 hrs restaurant in santiago and a very popular place for after disco crowd. This afternoon I saw a few soldiers sitting inside the restaurant and not a single customer. Could it be that they are closed down by the authorities indefinitely? I hope Marchena works out his differences with the military.
AZB

Marchenas closed, say it ain't so, where will I eat 3:00am in the morning?? The food/hamburger truck on 27 de Febrero(across the street from MonteBar)?
The small food carts around the city?
Or maybe chimichuris(sp?)

Drugdog

Mar 28, 2003
AZB, you are correct as far as usage. The DR is not even in the top 50 per capita for illegal narcotic use. It is in the top 20 for smuggling though. When you walk through a park and step a crack pipes and vials then you know you have a problem.

Kevin