New Liquor Curfew Ordinance

G

gary short

Simon & Nicky said:
By using the first letters of "Plan of Immediate Short Term ACtion" You so nearly come up with Pi** Take that I wonder if that's just what it is?:ermm:[/QUOTE\

Put your head down on your big pillow and go to sleep.........good......yyyyaaaawwwwnnnnn......night.........

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
x_man said:
just when I thought DR was ok to visit again (Nov) I have to read this shocker.
Thanks god I havn't booked yet.
will keep an eye on it and hope this goes away soon.

dont worry, tourist establishments especially hotels will get automatic exemptions or a blind eye from the law. How far they will go with 'tourist establishments' is the question, probably some bars yes, some bars no.

And of course there will be plenty of 'illegal' places or bars paying off the cops everywhere.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Just returned from a night out. We were told that no more drinks could be purchased after midnight and that the bar would close when the "truck" came by. Well about 12:45 the "truck" came by and within 2 minutes the music was off, lights out and the girls cleared the tables and started stacking chairs.

As I drove home every bar I passed was closed down tight.

For those who don't know me, this is in Puerto PLata.

We were also told by the owners they expect this will only last a week or two. Maybe wishful thinking???

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Conchman said:
dont worry, tourist establishments especially hotels will get automatic exemptions or a blind eye from the law. How far they will go with 'tourist establishments' is the question, probably some bars yes, some bars no.

And of course there will be plenty of 'illegal' places or bars paying off the cops everywhere.
You may be right, but I don't think so.
I believe that Leonel's plan for fighting crime, by way of shortening the bar hours, is to get the people off the streets in the middle of the night.
Now, if a cop sees somebody walking down main street at 2 AM, he would probably be stopped to find out what he's doing there.
If the government makes some exceptions for some bars, then people would have an axcuse for being out in the middle of the night, thus defeating his whole plan.
I believe it's going to be for everybody, or they will rescind it, but no in between with some bars yes, and some no.
I saw that someone mention that there would be exemptions, but I have seen no evidence of that in the Dominican newspapers.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
mikey007 said:
NYc under mayor dinkins was the same way complete disrespect for the law , anyone with a security background knows u have to set the tone and enforce the thelaw this is great news for the country but leonel has to be totally committed . enforce the small little laws or the BROKEN WINDOW THEORY" when u dont fix the little crack on your windshield, what is the end result? it makes dr more family oriented and this will bring more tourism dollars just look at the LAS VEGAS EXPERIENCE" dr doesnt need all these european sex mongers because they dont generate the real tourism money DR will indeed be the Caribbean jewel:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:
I don't know about European sex mongers (or American sex mongers), but the DR sure needs the money of the herds of European all-in-resort-going families that enjoy a couple of cuba libres and presidentes. A family destination, OK, but no drink after midnight goes a bit beyond just creating a more family-firendly atmosphere.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I see some people here now are dreaming of another kind of tourists to the DR. Whatever you call them "high class" "upscale" or just "rich", I'm pretty sure most of these people also want the possibility to have a drink after midnight.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Hipocrito Mejia said:
Considering that his administration is largely responsible for the current increase in crime, I don't think that he has a chance in hell.

Hipolito was the one who allowed drug trafficking to proliferate during his tenure; he was in charge when a bunch of people with criminal histories were appointed to the police and military (the same ones that are now robbing and killing people while in uniform); and he was the one who pardoned and released hundreds of prisoners before leaving office. People may forget, but there will always be others to remind them of what that idiot did.

Don't forget the influx of US dollars during the crack craze of the early and mid-eighties that made it OK to be a dominican drug kingpin because unlike puerto-ricans and american blacks in the drug game they had somewhere safe to send thier money-dominican banks.
It is the kingpins who living well in places like San Francisco De Macoris that began the trend of making the DR the drug-infested zoo it is now. And with the military and police involved, yeah, a 12 P.M. curfew on beer and dancing is what will decrease crime.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
it makes dr more family oriented and this will bring more tourism dollars just look at the LAS VEGAS EXPERIENCE" dr doesnt need all these european sex mongers because they dont generate the real tourism money DR will indeed be the Caribbean jewel:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:[/QUOTE]

Sex mongers put more money into the average dominicans' pockets than AIs will ever do. That AI money is sent overseas to the corporations that own the hotels. Dominicans don't even get to sniff that money-alot of times it never even GETS to the island. It goes from tourist to travel agent and straight to the corporation.
And please, the Las Vegas experience? There are hookers EVERYWHERE in Vegas!!!!
It seems like your vision for DR tourism is more bloated honkies coming by the planeload to have a Disney-esque experience in the sun and never stepping off the AI to see what the island and its people have to offer. Nice.

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
mikey007 said:
Las vegas is making a lot moe money when it became more family oriented and clamped down on the street prostitution . thats why u dont see those european sex mongers hanging out in vegas . also DR should really clamp down on those europeans looking for underage sex in DR:glasses: :glasses: :glasses: :glasses:

I'd like to point out mikey that it isnt just europeans looking for sex with young girls.

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
Francifol report

I was in Francifol last night and at 12:00 am sharp they cut the music and the lights were turned on.

As we were leaving the bar, the press was outside filming the whole thing.

PS:
AZB you should have stayed until the end, at around 11:15 a few more 'friends' of mine showed up. It was a good night in the end ;)

mikey007

Bronze
Aug 19, 2005
go leonel! so far its working all these lawless criminals are whining when u see the bus and taxi drivers drinking a presidente . this does nothing to help tourism go leonel your ny experience is really going to help dr :pirate: :pirate: :pirate:

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
report from POP malecon

Yesterday night at JePols, 10 minutes to midnight I order my drink, there is a karaoke night going on, sitting outside are a bunch of young dominicans, one in a wheelchair who according to JePol is one of the local drug colonels. 10 minutes past midnight the police and military arrive, music is shut down, policemen go to greet the drug colonel and off they go. So far for fighting drugs and corruption...

Apparently the presidential decree states nothing about music and closing hours, only about the sale of alcohol but police closes the places no matter what. Only restaurants are excluded of the new law.

Radio announcements of parties already stress that shows now start earlier, 8pm

Bartolomeo in POP

DonkeeHotee

Jul 1, 2006
I hope it helps, but I doubt it.

Availability of alcohol is not the key factor in crime. Heck, most criminals don't drink, they take pills or inject.

If availability of alcohol was the key factor in crime, law enforcement would be easy.

But for your average tourist family who enjoy the weather and the freedom to go out and enjoy an evening - yes, the new law has pretty well f*$ked up the chance of honest people enjoying a holiday.

One thing many politicians seem to forget is that criminals totally ignore the law. Maybe that's why they're called criminals? Honest people just get hampered by misuse of judicial authority.

So thousand's of families will now choose to vacation elsewhere because the government has said you can't drink after midnight.

Great plan!

Now the DR will lose all the decent tourists and become a haven for everybody who doesn't mind breaking the law!!

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
WHAT KIND OF $HIT IS THIS !!!!!!

WHERE'S THE DAMN PRESIDENT.... HE NEEDS TO HEAR THE WRATH OF LA_BARBIE.... CURFEW MY DRINKING ..... MY FAT A$$ !!!

YES THE CAPITALS ARE INTENTED.... VERY SERIOUS SUBJECT FOR ME !!!

what's next .... people farting in bottles so the air doesn't get polluted ???

Lord the drinking is one of the reason so many Canadian go away !!!

I'M READY TO PROTEST .... my birthday is Sept 1 ... .a Friday.... curfews what? 2 am.... NAH AHHHHH NOT IN LA_BARBIES WORLD.... TRY TO TAKE MY BOTTLE... I DARE YOU !!!

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I;m so pist I needed to post again... I have nothing else to say ... Just pist !

Ok.... I feel better... somewhat

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
well on second thought...

if it's just the alcohol and the last call timing they are after,
that would be fine with me. LOL

bentwire

Jan 30, 2006
Humans must have laws to abide by to live amonst each other!

Without Laws we will do what we wish when we wish, with no consideration for others ( its human nature)

one needs to understand that civil obediance is taught and learned, and is not a natural occurance to our chain of evolution

Once this is taught and learned, these laws will loosen to allow a better flow of life standards for the whole, of the people

Changeing a society and its culture is never easy, but if changes are not made a society will destroy its self and you will end up with a country whose people are not self dependent, crime florishs when desperation is a day to day occurance, i belive that this is the intent of these laws, developing a healthy culture.

Please note that i myself enjoy the wild life at times, but i will never condem a leader who choses a better way for his people, there is only a certain element that these new laws will effect, i may very well be one of them, however it dose not lessen my desire to spend my vacation in the beautiful Dominican Republic,, Cheers to all ,,,,, and look at both sides of the fence

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
bah well see what you say when you hit the ground there in a week! try to have fun anyhow but remember....

after midnight on weekdays everyone on the island needs to go sleepytime!