New New Satellite TV service in The DR Including Internet

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
qualify your recommendation please...

it might be the new company owned by Mr. jose clase. It will provide cable TV (maybe, including HDTV channels), cell phone, normal phone and super fast internet (100 times faster than dsl codetel), all in one package. It has already started in santo domingo and will soon come to santiago and the rest of the country. Like pichardo said, wait and see what else comes here. buy an LCD HDTV 1080p.
AZB

Why do you recommend LCD vs technologies such as DLP or plasma?

DLP is rare in the Dominican Republic but I've seen them advertised. The latest generation has a so-called LED engine (vs the previous high intensity bulb engines) that provide a picture that rivals or exceeds plasma and LCD in brightness and color fidelity. Most importantly, if size is your goal, DLP will give you relatively more square inches per peso than either LCD or plasma. I personally don't recommend plasma because of:

-high energy consumption
-image deteriotes by the day (but not noticeable for a year or more)
-heavy weight
-very high cost per square inch

I personally rate LCD as a good compromise if you must have flat screen. DLP displays are not completely flat.

Research before spending up to $70,000 - - do not rely on what I and AZB say. It's your money after all

track

Sep 6, 2008
For a person that works with a institution that "Controls/monitor" Cable, TV, Radio, etc.. Pichardo and Vargas are misinform.
HD Radio uses it's own spectrum, and Indotel is soooooo screwed up that it will take a miracle to make HD Radio work in DR. HD TV is different, yes they will need additional RF Spectrum, where will they get it? They don't seem to like the FCC but they want all the equipment to have FCC certificates!

If you want Digital Radio get XM radio, it Works in the DR.

Working companies that provide internet are:
Codetel, Tricom, Viva, Orange, OneMax, Wind Telecom ( Using licensed free Spectrum ), and other small companies.

Companies that are a joke, are BecTel, Wind Telecom, and some new ones that will come out like ETG Tripple play, and UJET Dominicana.
Wind Telecom has almost two year telling client wait next month, they have a big spectrum that they don't use, probably waiting for an American Company to buy them out or something. Same for BecTel. Who is supervising these companies?

Cable companies like Aster and TCN are not that great, and very limited.

At this time the Optical cable that provides 99.9% of the internet bandwidth is Arcos, Columbus Networks, landing in Puerto Plata and almost all contect to it via the Codetel installation in Puerto Plata, Calle el Morro. This is public domain information!

For all of you, DSL is a technology that depends on the cooper wires hanging on the light poles. The father away you are from a telephone switchboard the less bandwidth you will have. The maximum distance allow is 18,000 feet from switchboard to the CPE ( Costumer Premise Equipment ).
Codetel now has a service that will allow up to 5Mbps Downloads and 1Mbps uploads for about $7,000.00 pesos. Don't ask for the services if you are living at a distance greater than a mile away from a "central".

I would buy an Apple TV, download movies, news, series, podcast, etc. Using Codetel.
If you want sports, then good luck with Sky, or just get DirecTV or Dish Network from the states and a 6' dish.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
ok, so does this mean if i bought an xm radio system in canada it would work in the dr??

track

Sep 6, 2008
I was not aware that XM Radio service was sold in Canada!, XM is an USA company, like DirecTV and Dish Network. But yes, again XM works from Montecristi all the way to Bavaro, with out any modification to the receiver or antenna.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
For a person that works with a institution that "Controls/monitor" Cable, TV, Radio, etc.. Pichardo and Vargas are misinform.HD Radio uses it's own spectrum, and Indotel is soooooo screwed up that it will take a miracle to make HD Radio work in DR. HD TV is different, yes they will need additional RF Spectrum, where will they get it? They don't seem to like the FCC but they want all the equipment to have FCC certificates!

If you want Digital Radio get XM radio, it Works in the DR.

Working companies that provide internet are:
Codetel, Tricom, Viva, Orange, OneMax, Wind Telecom ( Using licensed free Spectrum ), and other small companies.

Companies that are a joke, are BecTel, Wind Telecom, and some new ones that will come out like ETG Tripple play, and UJET Dominicana.
Wind Telecom has almost two year telling client wait next month, they have a big spectrum that they don't use, probably waiting for an American Company to buy them out or something. Same for BecTel. Who is supervising these companies?

Cable companies like Aster and TCN are not that great, and very limited.

At this time the Optical cable that provides 99.9% of the internet bandwidth is Arcos, Columbus Networks, landing in Puerto Plata and almost all contect to it via the Codetel installation in Puerto Plata, Calle el Morro. This is public domain information!
For all of you, DSL is a technology that depends on the cooper wires hanging on the light poles. The father away you are from a telephone switchboard the less bandwidth you will have. The maximum distance allow is 18,000 feet from switchboard to the CPE ( Costumer Premise Equipment ).
Codetel now has a service that will allow up to 5Mbps Downloads and 1Mbps uploads for about $7,000.00 pesos. Don't ask for the services if you are living at a distance greater than a mile away from a "central".

I would buy an Apple TV, download movies, news, series, podcast, etc. Using Codetel.
If you want sports, then good luck with Sky, or just get DirecTV or Dish Network from the states and a 6' dish.

HD radio has been tested already in the DR in a limited scale!!! Not one but 16 tests in separated areas...

HD radio spectrum is already being allotted by INDOTEL!
Go back in my post and read the data there and come back with something less vague and a bit clearer than your post here...

There are not one but three optical cables in operations now in the DR (surprise, surprise). Codetel is not even operating at full share in the newer two but as a sharing provider. The current bandwidth is the best available today for our area (including PR). The actual location of the cables is not "disclosed" to anybody other than those in the know...

The DR will become an important ring in the area soon enough after all is done that needs to be done.
Cable #3 is a multi-landing one...

track

Sep 6, 2008
Let's see,

Columbus Network is the owner of FibraLink and Acros
The landing points are Puerto Plata and Bavaro.
columbus networks : connecting the americas
Fibra link goes to Jamaica.

AT&T and some others are the owners of Antillas I cable. Landing point is Casique, yeah, right!
ANTILLAS I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Antilla I is full!
Viva has a microwave link to Puerto Rico, and yes they also use Arcos.

List of international submarine communications cables - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you know of other cables, then something is wrong, international fiber cables do not work in private, it's all public domain.

Digging a Cable from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo ( Orange ) and investing ~30M US$, is not because it was a nice idea, it was because it's necesary.

About HD radio, Harris Equipment was used in the test, they purchase the license from iBiquity Digital Corporation, they design the protocol. I know them very well.
HD Radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Radio stations in DR are separated almost on 200KHz, Santiago and Santo Domingo, not the best of the scenario for HD.
Please don't think RDS is Digital Radio!

I give out the source, it's magic, or is it Wikipedia.

The Dominican Republic is not the best place to concentrate international cables, Puerto Rico is a better natural place. Something tells me they have better regulations, and constant power!

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I was not aware that XM Radio service was sold in Canada!, XM is an USA company, like DirecTV and Dish Network. But yes, again XM works from Montecristi all the way to Bavaro, with out any modification to the receiver or antenna.

I thought only sirius worked in the DR????

track

Sep 6, 2008
At present time, ( Sirius and XM merged July 29, 2008) XM and Sirius work in DR. Sirius radio has higher signal levels, XM has a weaker signal but it still works.

In the future they will not work. Why ? The super smart guys "Engineers" at Indotel assigned the frequency of XM and Sirius ( 2.310 to 2.360 GHz ) and others to one company call UJET Dominicana S.A. Indotel can do what ever they want, they don't have to answer to the FCC, but they do have agreements with ITU. Then, "they have really good advisers"!

Please look at the satellite foot print for Sirius XM Radio.
XM Satellite Radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
At present time, ( Sirius and XM merged July 29, 2008) XM and Sirius work in DR. Sirius radio has higher signal levels, XM has a weaker signal but it still works.

In the future they will not work. Why ? The super smart guys "Engineers" at Indotel assigned the frequency of XM and Sirius ( 2.310 to 2.360 GHz ) and others to one company call UJET Dominicana S.A. Indotel can do what ever they want, they don't have to answer to the FCC, but they do have agreements with ITU. Then, "they have really good advisers"!

Please look at the satellite foot print for Sirius XM Radio.
XM Satellite Radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It would be really bad to lose satellite in the DR!

Feb 7, 2007
Indotel assigned the frequency of XM and Sirius ( 2.310 to 2.360 GHz ) and others to one company call UJET Dominicana S.A.

UJet Dominicana is owned by UJet Holdings from the Netherlands, a wimax provider. UJet Holding

Would this be the new service provider coming with revolutionary service that Pichardo mentioned some time ago?

Feb 7, 2007

The truth is Codetel has a monopoly until the end of 2008 for any backhaul within the DR. This means no other provider can connect to any FO netwok landing point or operate landing point in the DR, or backhaul within the DR, besides Codetel, until its monopoly expires at the end of this year.

Starting 2009, viva la revolucion! (the telecommunications one).

track

Sep 6, 2008
Good to know that some people like Rubio_Higuey share information.

The facts are:

Global Crossing uses Columbus network cable ( Arcos ), they have bandwidth allocation on the cable. Codetel is part owner of the cable, they can do what they want, but they have to give access to the cable to any telecomm company. For that they will charge access rights to their location. The access rights are "bandwidth" type and are the highest in the world.

It's not just Codetel, Orange, OneMax, Tricom and Viva, that are connected to the cable. Some other small companies have small access to Columbus Net rack / switch.

About Ujet, They will provide WiMax type of service ( Data, Video, and Voice ), but that's probably in a very early stage ( They purchase the spectrum from "REPUESTOS DE RADIO Y TELEVISION, C. POR A." a company that never used the spectrum, yeah, right! ( 2 - 3 month to get all the paper work !), It's good to know Dominicans have a good transparent law and no one buys things.

But then, back to the original question? Satellite TV, The only new company that have capacity, at this time to do real time video transmission is Wind Telecom using an old but New MMDS technology. The other need license spectrum that they don't have. Wind Telecom buys backhaul capacity from Codetel or Orange, have no doubt about that. Will or does Wind Telecom have enough cash to stay alive?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Let's see,

Columbus Network is the owner of FibraLink and Acros
The landing points are Puerto Plata and Bavaro.
columbus networks : connecting the americas
Fibra link goes to Jamaica.

AT&T and some others are the owners of Antillas I cable. Landing point is Casique, yeah, right!
ANTILLAS I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Antilla I is full!
Viva has a microwave link to Puerto Rico, and yes they also use Arcos.

List of international submarine communications cables - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you know of other cables, then something is wrong, international fiber cables do not work in private, it's all public domain.

Digging a Cable from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo ( Orange ) and investing ~30M US$, is not because it was a nice idea, it was because it's necesary.

About HD radio, Harris Equipment was used in the test, they purchase the license from iBiquity Digital Corporation, they design the protocol. I know them very well.
HD Radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Radio stations in DR are separated almost on 200KHz, Santiago and Santo Domingo, not the best of the scenario for HD.
Please don't think RDS is Digital Radio!

I give out the source, it's magic, or is it Wikipedia.

The Dominican Republic is not the best place to concentrate international cables, Puerto Rico is a better natural place. Something tells me they have better regulations, and constant power!

Like I said, only the people on the know can tell you the location the new 2 cables land at...

Harris equipment was not used for the tests I posted above!!!!!!
Full HD-Radio, the latest generation of commercial applications!!!!

The Dominican Republic will be the center for communications in the Caribbean and general area for a long time to come!! Mark those words!!!

International cables are listed only once fully operational (mark these words too)...

I don't wiki; I get the source from actual people involved in the industry and developments in the DR...

Time is the best way to find out! Let's wait and see HDTV, HD-Radio (not RDS) and the DR as the next communications ring in the area...

track

Sep 6, 2008
Must be top secret!

Mr. Pichardo seems to know what other don't and he keeps it to himself!

HD radio spectrum is already being allotted by INDOTEL!
Really!
7/19/2008
The hold up till this moment has been created around the update of internal rules at Indotel. Since all of the guidelines that Radio operators use are ruled by those parameters, given that HD radio operates in a different spectrum, the agency still is not 100% online on this revamping of transmission towers and equipment.

Mr. Pichardo you have no idea of what you are talking about, you must be a sales person or a politician.

7/20/2008
The work to link the DR to the new optical networks was done already and multiple companies are just finalizing their hook-ups to it.

But you said today, "International cables are listed only once fully operational (mark these words too)..." My translation, We, the ignorant, will not know about it until the cable is in place!

7/26/2008
"No links to the cable networks, but many links to the institutions that control them and approve new services before they are known to the public."
Or better yet, you could be a Pepe Goico.

Do you know what IBOC is?
Do you know what type of Radios Dominicans buy and will keep buying?
What HD Radio standard must Dominican use?
Do you think Indotel has an option to choose a standard?

I sooooo scared of you! AH!