New passenger entry protocol starts 16 September

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Pasajeros-Aeropuerto-Listin-Diario-e1599656428340.jpeg

Disembarking passengers are no longer required to submit PCR tests with negative results prior to entering the Dominican Republic. Random quick breath PCR tests will be carried out to diagnose for Covid-19. The new Israeli technology makes it possible to test for disease and have results almost immediately. The measure (AIC-06/2020) is to facilitate the passenger entry procedures, keeping to the health protocol.

The IDAC also explained that departing passengers do not need to have recent PCR test results for travel to the United States. They are only required to have these tests when traveling to Puerto Rico from the Dominican Republic.

The new breathalyzer tests are part of the Responsible Tourism Plan announced last month by President Luis Abinader and is part of a set of initiatives to ensure the country is a safe tourist destination. The one-minute...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It has been two steps forward and two steps back now since April. At some point dollars will outweigh death rates and the country will be reopen. The next step will be how to attract the airlines to restore routes.
If routes stay closed for too long other routes get the gates and the less profitable (least full aircraft) routes get scrapped permanently.

I don't think DR has yet quite been working from the playbook that they now need to promote tourism and that may mean lots of ads, discounts and actually welcome the tourists. Takes more that some musicians playing old country instruments as you deplane to make tourists feel truly like they are valued.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The health insurance offer for tourists staying in a hotel, no before hand CV testing and reimbursement for necessary flight changes all looks good on paper, how it works out in practical terms remains to be seen. The concept is certainly one intended to convince tourists they will be well looked after if the come for a visit. Not sure how many potential travelers outside of the DR know about this program.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Don't you think they'll explain that in an advertising campaign?

Punta Cana advertises heavily - well , is advertised heavily by the tDR Tourism dept

The Tourism Minister has met w/ tour operators in the US & Europe
I can almost guarantee they explained this idea to them as a solution to help all parties.

Reactions: Africaida

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
AA shutdown their flights to POP on Wednesday and Thursday. It had to be due to low season and covid. Wonder how long this will last.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
The one bright spot is flights are dirt cheap (under $300 round trip from LA) and I can stay at an AI for less than a motel in Los Ángeles. The travel insurance sealed the deal. Yes I will be the guy dressed like an Eskimo scuba diving on the flight over in November. Americans cannot pass up a deal...even during a pandemic. Am I scared? Yes I’m scared of paying too much later on....

• Haha
Reactions: BermudaRum

Dubcreator

Sep 15, 2013
Belgium
AA shutdown their flights to POP on Wednesday and Thursday. It had to be due to low season and covid. Wonder how long this will last.
As PP already struggled with not having too many tourists, i'm afraid it will be a death sentence for a lot of hotels in the Costa Dorado area, i liked it there, but there are no flights from Brussels anymore, at least not all in vacations...

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
The reopening of tourism has been very badly handled stop start, test not test. The tourism industry needs certainty so that tourists feel their health is being taken seriously, hopefully they get there act together this time. Also the government could waive the tourist tax for a bit to try and encourage more arrivals

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Both the airlines and the country are offering health care for virus victims....
that's a good start - IMO.

Any other country doing that ??

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The reopening of tourism has been very badly handled stop start, test not test. The tourism industry needs certainty so that tourists feel their health is being taken seriously, hopefully they get there act together this time. Also the government could waive the tourist tax for a bit to try and encourage more arrivals
The government wants tourists for their tax money. The more, the better.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
Both the airlines and the country are offering health care for virus victims....
that's a good start - IMO.

Any other country doing that ??
[/QUO

Tui the main tour operator bringing tourists from europe include this free with all holidays up till end of year. That is for all holidays booked not particular to the DR. DR could get rid of the tourist tax, brits don't have to pay the tourist tax to go to Mexico

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
The one bright spot is flights are dirt cheap (under $300 round trip from LA) and I can stay at an AI for less than a motel in Los Ángeles. The travel insurance sealed the deal. Yes I will be the guy dressed like an Eskimo scuba diving on the flight over in November. Americans cannot pass up a deal...even during a pandemic. Am I scared? Yes I’m scared of paying too much later on....
Please PM info on dirt cheap flights to/from LA. I need to go to LA and everything I'm seeing is over US$1,000.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, MacIntosh....
TUI is one airline doing it.... there are others which were posted here in the news forum