New point system coming for drivers?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Expats are a very small part of the Dominican Republic, and an even smaller part of those with Drivers licences.
I agree. If I had to guess, I'd say there are a few thousand compared with over a million of Dominicans.

I took an UBER the other day with a Haitian driver with a University degree and I know of at least two others.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I don't think I agree with that. Pretty much all the expats I know have a valid DR drivers license. Most of the DR nationals I know do not have a DR license and have no desire or motivation to get one. Zero percent of the Haitians I know have one or will ever get one.
There are plenty of Haitian truck drivers, and most Dominicans driving cars or trucks do have drivers licences.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
I don't think I agree with that. Pretty much all the expats I know have a valid DR drivers license. Most of the DR nationals I know do not have a DR license and have no desire or motivation to get one. Zero percent of the Haitians I know have one or will ever get one.
The Dominicans I know that drive all have a driver's license.

I must have rosy glasses on, but in the last 6 months I've seen a considerable increase in the number of people wearing helmets on motos and stopping at traffic lights.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Take their vechile and dont return it until they show up with a licence and pay a hefty fine.
can it be the DR has realized the gold mine in traffic enforcement?

if they are busy making real money maybe no longer have time for annoying middle of no where road checks.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
can it be the DR has realized the gold mine in traffic enforcement?

if they are busy making real money maybe no longer have time for annoying middle of no where road checks.
Everyone talks about these middle of no where road checks. I driven all over this island for about twelve years and never been asked for money, not once.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
Everyone talks about these middle of no where road checks. I driven all over this island for about twelve years and never been asked for money, not once.

I've only been asked once. And it was on the road between Las Terrenas and El Portillo, clearly set up to target foreigners.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Well Bob, clearly you're the kind of guy that drives around with the proper paperwork and IDs etc and your marbete current. I think those stops they're looking for illegal handguns and anything else that may pop up. I've only ever been waived through.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
I was pulled over 10 miles from Boca Chica going into SD... I saw they were there on the Waze app 2 miles earlier, so I was definitely below speed limit. Still got pulled over. Showed them some ID and that was it. But there is no 4th amendment here

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Point system could be a pay day for lawyers.
Lot of US cities have successful lawyers running ticket operations .
Get a ticket, pay the lawyer, you do not even need to show up and ticket is dismissed.
I like having some rules enforcement to slow the highway death toll.

• Haha
Reactions: AlaPlaya