New Property owner needs to know the correct names for...

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I am in contract to buy a small piece of dirt in JD. Coming from a developer's background in the states I now need to educate myself on some basics regarding:water, taxes electric etc. For example: What do they call the "sewer department?". Is that department separate from "the water department". Local taxes? The "building department"...if there is such a thing. And with that, is there a "code department".

What I am really looking for is any and all departments that have an impact or voice on my owning property specifically in Juan Dolio.
TIA

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Property taxes: You pay on the transfer of the property one time.
As long as your property holdings are less that around 151,000 USD no more payments 🕺

If electricity is already on your property you simply have to transfer it into name from the owners name.
If it is not, then you need a professional to do the work to hook you up to the grid.

I would hire a professional surveyor to review the property lines before the deal closed.
Then after the deal closes have the surveyor return and put in permanent markers.

After the deal closed, I would immediately put a fence up.

My two pesos worth...

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Property taxes: You pay on the transfer of the property one time.
As long as your property holdings are less that around 151,000 USD no more payments 🕺

If electricity is already on your property you simply have to transfer it into name from the owners name.
If it is not, then you need a professional to do the work to hook you up to the grid.

I would hire a professional surveyor to review the property lines before the deal closed.
Then after the deal closes have the surveyor return and put in permanent markers.

After the deal closed, I would immediately put a fence up.

My two pesos worth...
Yes. All of above is in play. Since they are doing major sewer work in JD I wanted to contact that department so as to inquire if the work would be done in my area/street. And info on water. Do i need anything from an agency if I dig my own well? Septic?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
We are putting up a block and stucco wall at least across the front. Then will decide the sides after I clear the property and I can decide on other considerations regarding the property.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
We are putting up a block and stucco wall at least across the front. Then will decide the sides after I clear the property and I can decide on other considerations regarding the property.
How do you know it's on the property line?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
And info on water. Do i need anything from an agency if I dig my own well? Septic?
I do not have any information for proper procedure to proceed in your particular jurisdiction.

In mine, I did not have any controlling legal entities that I was required to contact for drilling a well or for digging my (insert appropriate unacceptable language of your choice here) hole 🕳️.

One of the advantages I consider really important about living in the 🇩🇴.
If you set yourself up right...you can live with quite a bit of freedom.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I do not have any information for proper procedure to proceed in your particular jurisdiction.

In mine, I did not have any controlling legal entities that I was required to contact for drilling a well or for digging my (insert appropriate unacceptable language of your choice here) hole 🕳️.

One of the advantages I consider really important about living in the 🇩🇴.
If you set yourself up right...you can live with quite a bit of freedom.
I'm coming to see that real quick. Understand I had 30 years of Draconian rule in NYC and Savannah Ga. (Historic District!!!)

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Uh oh. You bought without a deslinde??? 😳
AE, he said in the OP he's in the process of buying a piece of land. I took that to mean he's waiting for the deslinde. I sure hope so!!

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I bought a property that had blue paper.
I still had the survey done and temporary markers put down at that time.
I waited until the blue paper had been handed to me and put into my name before contacting my surveyor to have the permanent property line markers placed.

It took quite a long time to complete the process.
And the real estate office kicked my file back four times before they gave me blue paper with MY name on it.
There is a reason for that.
And the Dominicans that helped me get through the process told me why.
But I won't state it here because don't want to get the whip put on me.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
No, I have a deslinde and title being examined as we speak. However, I know of no way other than a survey that would guide me as to where I would stake out the four walls I wish to construct. This BTW is no different than the states. When I wanted to build, in spite of the fact he have a title and plan, one gets a survey to mark that out by a professional. If you wanted to sub-divide you need that survey to take to the building dept in order for them to pass judgement on "where" you can build.

BTW Vegas has been "giant" in helping me thru the process. I can't thank him enough for the valuble information he has given me in private conversations.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
No, I have a deslinde and title being examined as we speak. However, I know of no way other than a survey that would guide me as to where I would stake out the four walls I wish to construct. This BTW is no different than the states. When I wanted to build, in spite of the fact he have a title and plan, one gets a survey to mark that out by a professional. If you wanted to sub-divide you need that survey to take to the building dept in order for them to pass judgement on "where" you can build.

BTW Vegas has been "giant" in helping me thru the process. I can't thank him enough for the valuble information he has given me in private conversations.
Your deslinde includes the gps coordinates of the survey.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
When I had my survey done, the was a discrepancy in the recorded land records compared actual lay of the land that my surveyor caught.
The government had to send their own people out and confirmed my surveyor was right.
That is why I do my own work.
Each time.
Every time.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I agree,BUT. I'm more comfortable having a stake in the ground with a little red flag stuck to it that shows Pedro the block layer where to place his first block. And, when and if I have a disputewith a neighbor over property bounds, I'm assuming he (and I ) will better understand the stakes than the gps coordinates. A survey confirms that those GPS numbers are solid information that can be relied on.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
ETA: I would assume (Idon't know as there is no financing on this transaction) that any purchase or sale involving a bank would require that a survey be gotten.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I agree, BUT. I'm more comfortable having a stake in the ground with a little red flag stuck to it that shows Pedro the block layer where to place his first block. And, when and if I have a dispute with a neighbor over property bounds, I'm assuming he (and I ) will better understand the stakes than the gps coordinates. A survey confirms that those GPS numbers are solid information that can be relied on.

What I have always seen is a round cement marker on top of a long rod that is barely visible unless you trip over it, LOL