New service SDQ - Medellin

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Sky High Aviation starts new nonstop service to Medellin twice a week effective DEC 9.

Any guess as to cost? Getting from here to Kingston Jamaica is possible nonstop if one wants to pay 4 times what it takes to go thru Miami. I found a flight for$882 USD. One way!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
They've come on a bit since I was last working in SDQ. I guess they recovered after killing six passengers at the golf course in Punta Cana. An avoidable and tragic accident.

I would still be very wary of boarding any aircraft with HI registration.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
They've come on a bit since I was last working in SDQ. I guess they recovered after killing six passengers at the golf course in Punta Cana. An avoidable and tragic accident.

I would still be very wary of boarding any aircraft with HI registration.

Dios and I was excited to try them.
Tell me more about this HI registration stuff

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

Accidents can happend, they have flights to diferents islands every day, AUA, CUR, SXM, AXA, STT, BON, Soon MDE and they got also charters flights to Venezuela. Im more scared of Boeing 737 Max than Sky actually, if you read all things they hide, will be very scared.

The accident with Sky was in 2015.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Sky had accident this yr in April in Dominica coming from Santo Domingo veered off runway ripped of front landing gear substantially damaging plane...

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
ah those small regional jets

Don't look that small to me. I once got stuck in San Salvador and rode a 12 passenger jet to Tegucigalpa, Honduras, but there were 15 of us aboard landing at one of the 10 most dangerous airports in the world according to some lists! Three folks standing as if it were a bus!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006

HI or Hotel India is the prefix put on all Dominican registered aircraft. American aircraft for instance are prefixed N for November.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Well for some people just because is Dominican registration is equal to bad quality, I respect their opinion but that is not necesary true.

Thirty two years experience in aircraft Maintenance. I am the most qualified aircraft engineer on the island (it sounds like a boast, but during my 14 years living and working here you get to interact with all aviation personnel as it is a relatively small community). I work daily on all types of aircraft and I am also a pilot.

I work with and supervise Dominican mechanics. I have seen first hand some of the maintenance practices performed by unsupervised Dominican mechanics and in the world of EASA or FAA they would be deemed as violations. I will not go into details, but what I witnessed by Sky High when they got their Beech 1900 and were converting it back into passenger role from cargo, I vowed I would never fly with them.

Aviation as a whole is a very safe way to travel. Aircraft are now very fail-safe by design. Meaning that if a critical system was to fail, there a sufficient back-ups in place to mitigate them. However it requires a certain work ethos to keep that system of safety running. The DR has yet to adopt that ethos by nature of the Dominican culture.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I am currently in Medellin and headed back to DR Dec 16th. I am glad I didn't already book my ticket. I see a ticket for $202. US one way headed back. I'll be booking that flight.
I live in Santiago and prefer to use that airport but direct at that price, SDQ it is, plus I have a pick up truck getting out of the shop in the capital so it works out great for me.
Thanks for the tip!

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Air safety vs. road safety

I am currently in Medellin and headed back to DR Dec 16th. I am glad I didn't already book my ticket. I see a ticket for $202. US one way headed back. I'll be booking that flight.
I live in Santiago and prefer to use that airport but direct at that price, SDQ it is, plus I have a pick up truck getting out of the shop in the capital so it works out great for me.
Thanks for the tip!
Wish you a nice and safe flight!
Take care back to Santiago, DR traffic incidents kills about 3000 people every year.:rambo:

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Wish you a nice and safe flight!
Take care back to Santiago, DR traffic incidents kills about 3000 people every year.:rambo:

Very familiar with the "great" driving skills (or lack thereof) of Dominicans. I have lived in the DR for the last 13+ years.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Thirty two years experience in aircraft Maintenance. I am the most qualified aircraft engineer on the island (it sounds like a boast, but during my 14 years living and working here you get to interact with all aviation personnel as it is a relatively small community). I work daily on all types of aircraft and I am also a pilot.

I work with and supervise Dominican mechanics. I have seen first hand some of the maintenance practices performed by unsupervised Dominican mechanics and in the world of EASA or FAA they would be deemed as violations. I will not go into details, but what I witnessed by Sky High when they got their Beech 1900 and were converting it back into passenger role from cargo, I vowed I would never fly with them.

Aviation as a whole is a very safe way to travel. Aircraft are now very fail-safe by design. Meaning that if a critical system was to fail, there a sufficient back-ups in place to mitigate them. However it requires a certain work ethos to keep that system of safety running. The DR has yet to adopt that ethos by nature of the Dominican culture.

Then Im glad you are doing great job supervising,