New Software

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I've always gone by the rule - "If it ain't broke - don't fix it".

Actually, I believe it may have been broke, but as average members of the community we did not realize it.

I noticed the old forum had an annoying tendency to be consistently hacked by spammers. Starting, reopening, or taking over thread lines.

This too was a problem within other web forums I happen to participate in relating to Argentina and Art History. They were using older platforms, and could not keep up with the modern problems faced with some annoyances of technology. A change of the platform solved the problems for them as well.

I do not know if that was the case here, as I am not a tech expert, but I have seen that the annoying spammers have seemed to be dealt with. Sock puppets are another issue. Also above my pay grade.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
It would be nice to hear from either DR1 Administration or the tech people as to what is going on and an ETA for repairs.
Right now it has that feeling of sitting in a delayed plane waiting for an announcement that never seems to come.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
whats the fuss??
the DR1 site gets a new software/plattform, as was told on the site.
such is not done in an eyeblink and take's some unknown time to fix the bugs after the witching.
no admin could tell how long it will take exactly to fix such bugs
and there is anyways no need to explain such in detail.
it is announced that the software changed and bugs get eliminated, thats all info a user need to know.

Reactions: Caonabo

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
whats the fuss??
such is not done in an eyeblink and take's some unknown time to fix the bugs after the witching.
it is announced that the software changed and bugs get eliminated, thats all info a user need to know.
Will agree up to a point, which would include this type of information site with no real impact to anyone. But as a previous Teche in another life that worked with business online systems, if we had installed a system with the number of errors that have been encountered with this change over I would have been job hunting about 2 days or less after we turned it up. In those type of cases the user needs to have alot more information. This type if application not so much. :):)

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
It would be nice to hear from either DR1 Administration or the tech people as to what is going on and an ETA for repairs.
Right now it has that feeling of sitting in a delayed plane waiting for an announcement that never seems to come.

I agree.
As is always the case, it is the being left in the dark that causes the anxiety.
I understand completely that these things take time so... no judgment on that from me.
But for instance...
On the non off topic "off topic" thread, it was suggested that a member who had claimed no access has subsequently gained access.
If that is the case then some progress is being made.
Why not share whatever good news there is with the peons who are obviously chomping at the bit?

Reactions: melphis
Sep 22, 2009
I agree.
As is always the case, it is the being left in the dark that causes the anxiety.
I understand completely that these things take time so... no judgment on that from me.
But for instance...
On the non off topic "off topic" thread, it was suggested that a member who had claimed no access has subsequently gained access.
Why not share whatever good news there is with the peons who are obviously chomping at the bit?
Fly, you need to see a ballgame or something.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Will agree up to a point, which would include this type of information site with no real impact to anyone. But as a previous Teche in another life that worked with business online systems, if we had installed a system with the number of errors that have been encountered with this change over I would have been job hunting about 2 days or less after we turned it up. In those type of cases the user needs to have alot more information. This type if application not so much. :):)

I think you know, but others may not, that waitman, myself, carlos, and all the mods......are all volunteers. We want nothing more than for all of this to be fixed.

Sep 22, 2009
Good morning PET
Good morning Bienamor

Screenshot_20200523-165736.png

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I agree.
But for instance...

You get anxiety over not being able to access the lower thread line Off Topic section of a web forum geared towards the RD?
If so, seek help. Soon.

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I think you know, but others may not, that waitman, myself, carlos, and all the mods......are all volunteers. We want nothing more than for all of this to be fixed.

Volunteers or not, all of the work the team does is deeply appreciated. This is not a joke, nor a kiss arse statement.
Kinks, glitches, new members or what not, this web forum is still #1 for all topics RD related.
Thank you for your time, dedication, and patience with all. Enjoy your weekend as you so see fit, and worry about these trivial matters when the time is right.
Have a drink. Play some music. Dance.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Volunteers or not, all of the work the team does is deeply appreciated. This is not a joke, nor a kiss arse statement.
Kinks, glitches, new members or what not, this web forum is still #1 for all topics RD related.
Thank you for your time, dedication, and patience with all. Enjoy your weekend as you so see fit, and worry about these trivial matters when the time is right.
Have a drink. Play some music. Dance.
Ditto.
same from here.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Fly, you need to see a ballgame or something.

You get anxiety over not being able to access the lower thread line Off Topic section of a web forum geared towards the RD?
If so, seek help. Soon.

Sigh...
I see that my own personal "peanut gallery" does not restrict itself to the off topic threads.
They'll follow me anywhere.
The simple fact of the matter is that of the three of us, it is not me who has been posting non-stop about the new software and the unavailability of the off topic threads.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Sigh...
I see that my own personal "peanut gallery" does not restrict itself to the off topic threads.
They'll follow me anywhere.
The simple fact of the matter is that of the three of us, it is not me who has been posting non-stop about the new software and the unavailability of the off topic threads.

Fi-fi dear,
We are in an open community web forum, it is not only yours.
You are not being followed, but if you like to think so, watch out for that shadow on the left.
I only respond to the software inquiries when the question is asked by a moderator, or if I happen to encounter an issue myself....not to moan and gripe about the new system. I happen to like it.
The OT thread line was not an integral part of my life, as it seems to be for you, although I did enjoy the music thread. That has been solved by adding an RD specific related music thread within the open forum. If you have true ties to the RD, you should participate within this music thread line. It is fun and enjoyable.
Better than hating upon a foreign leader 24/7, within a lower thread line Off Topic section of a web forum geared towards the RD.
Enjoy your evening, as you so see fit. Try it. You may like it.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
whats the fuss??
Many companies roll out new software frequently without glitches like DR1 has had. I realize it's not a high tech company with a big budget but it was not an improvement. Many threads gone, hard to find things and I see nothing that makes it better. But that could be just me

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i se eit as minor inconceniences.
DR1 to me is a FREE Forum with the best topics in case of DR Forums i ever found, always up to date News
and the ebst On teh Ground real Info by people who really live there/here.
for a Freebie, I say it issimply fantastic.
can't comment tothe complaints abotu certain froum parts or Topics not being available,
as to me they all show up in my menue and i can access them all, including the often mentioned Off Topic Forum.
so to me personally, it works like a charm.

Sep 22, 2009
Many companies roll out new software frequently without glitches like DR1 has had. I realize it's not a high tech company with a big budget but it was not an improvement. Many threads gone, hard to find things and I see nothing that makes it better. But that could be just me
All formations are impermanent.
All things are impermanent.
I am susceptible to ageing, have not moved beyond ageing.
I am susceptible to illness, have not moved beyond illness.
I am susceptible to death, have not moved beyond death.
I will grow different and apart from all things I hold dear and beloved.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004

I personally offer to double your salaries!