New Software

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
It’s been off and on. At one point many had no access. I adjusted a setting, and it seemed to be the fix, until we realized that even newbies could access Off Topic threads. Why is that a problem? We’re a Dominican site first, and the OT forum was added as an “extra” for those who’ve shown their commitment and interest in DR by posting over 500 times. To open it up to newbies negates that. Waitman has tried multiple things, but so far hasn’t found the magic button.

Totally agree with being a Dominican site first. The Off Topic is great to show where others are wrong in their political/religious/sporting/gastronomical opinions, but there is enough here on the Dominican side to keep me interested for a very long time.

• Love
Reactions: aarhus and Caonabo

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Totally agree with being a Dominican site first. The Off Topic is great to show where others are wrong in their political/religious/sporting/gastronomical opinions, but there is enough here on the Dominican side to keep me interested for a very long time.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
We've been living with this new layout for a few months now and have had time to get used to it.

I don't like it. I prefer the older version.

Just my opinion. And judging by a lot of old posters no longer posting, I'm guessing they don't either.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
We've been living with this new layout for a few months now and have had time to get used to it.

Just my opinion. And judging by a lot of old posters no longer posting, I'm guessing they don't either.
Its easier now if you use more your smartphone. Before it was difficult to post from a phone. I gave up. Maybe its the desktop crowd leaving but don’t know how it works on there as I hardly ever use one. Hardly laptop either. With the news posts sometimes they flood the forum to much but I think its a good that you can comment on the news. Also if you post on a thread it disappears as relevant until someone posts again. I guess that’s ok.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

If indeed the truth, seems to be a pretty petty reason.
The new software is quite easy to navigate along several platforms.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Its easier now if you use more your smartphone. Before it was difficult to post from a phone. I gave up. Maybe its the desktop crowd leaving but don’t know how it works on there as I hardly ever use one. Hardly laptop either. With the news posts sometimes they flood the forum to much but I think its a good that you can comment on the news. Also if you post on a thread it disappears as relevant until someone posts again. I guess that’s ok.
I used tapatalk to use on my phone and found it very good the way that it formatted the threads for a small screen.

On my desktop and laptop (both Macs) I would navigate to the new posts link. But now that page is dominated by individual news posts. As much as I like DR1 for the news content, I preferred it when each daily feed was limited to one thread.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
If indeed the truth, seems to be a pretty petty reason.
The new software is quite easy to navigate along several platforms.
It may be one reason, but it's not just the layout that is putting me off. I've been a DR1 member for 14 years. When I first joined, I found it to be a wealth of information for newbies like me. And as my experiences grew I enjoyed contributing and helping others, in return for a "like".

Today, in my opinion it feels more like a platform for grumpy old men who love to argue behind the veil of anonymity. I also feel that the Off topic section has tainted this website. It is not possible to hold civilized discussion with so much diversity and division mainly from the American members.

The help section has now migrated to Facebook. There are some genuinely helpful people for expats there and all you have to do is click on their profile to see who they are.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes yes yes

The Off Topic was a major reason for the deterioration of DR1

Big mistake from the start.... taints the entire sire

The idea was to lock the loonies there...... didn't work
gave them more power

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
It may be one reason, but it's not just the layout that is putting me off. I've been a DR1 member for 14 years. When I first joined, I found it to be a wealth of information for newbies like me. And as my experiences grew I enjoyed contributing and helping others, in return for a "like".

Today, in my opinion it feels more like a platform for grumpy old men who love to argue behind the veil of anonymity. I also feel that the Off topic section has tainted this website. It is not possible to hold civilized discussion with so much diversity and division mainly from the American members.

The help section has now migrated to Facebook. There are some genuinely helpful people for expats there and all you have to do is click on their profile to see who they are.
I just recently got access to the off topic section and I was immediately put off.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes yes yes

The Off Topic was a major reason for the deterioration of DR1

Big mistake from the start.... taints the entire sire

The idea was to lock the loonies there...... didn't work
gave them more power
More so the USA politics thread

or just - both are detrimental to the mood/intent

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The "off topic" is an sorry excuse of a "public forum". It is a way for certain posters that have small b-als to come out in public and demean and ridicule other posters and escape with a full mouth of teeth. Sad but true. Never would happen if they din't have the "cover of darkness".

Reactions: beeza and ROLLOUT

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
And they are so obsessed over there that they don’t notice this thread.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I am wondering if there will be any attempt to adjust the "positive reaction" statistics.
Under normal circumstances I wouldn't care too much about such but...
Because some or at least one dr1'er has been known to throw his/her stats in the face of others as some kind of badge of honor/superiority, we should at least ensure that those stats are accurate.
In my case, as an example, my profile shows something like a 58 score.
I may not be a shining example of a much loved member of the forum but...
I do know that, that score is reflective of reactions only since the inception of the new software.
What I don't know is how many others have been down-graded in the process.

Sep 22, 2009
I am wondering if there will be any attempt to adjust the "positive reaction" statistics.
Under normal circumstances I wouldn't care too much about such but...
Because some or at least one dr1'er has been known to throw his/her stats in the face of others as some kind of badge of honor/superiority, we should at least ensure that those stats are accurate.
In my case, as an example, my profile shows something like a 58 score.
I may not be a shining example of a much loved member of the forum but...
I do know that, that score is reflective of reactions only since the inception of the new software.
What I don't know is how many others have been down-graded in the process.
Thanks fly! That said, it's kind of a simple stat. People like your post or not. It's actually the basis of all social media, in case you went into a coma in 1987 and just woke up. If folks agree, or otherwise find your content favorable, they will like your comment. From this post, I can see it pains you that my ratio is 41%. DRob will say it is useless because only the You Lot folks like my content and that isn't aligned with his model.

May all beings be well!

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Thanks fly! That said, it's kind of a simple stat. People like your post or not. It's actually the basis of all social media, in case you went into a coma in 1987 and just woke up. If folks agree, or otherwise find your content favorable, they will like your comment. From this post, I can see it pains you that my ratio is 41%. DRob will say it is useless because only the You Lot folks like my content and that isn't aligned with his model.

May all beings be well!

lol.
I rest my case.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008

May all beings be well!
Well if that was mainly from the off topic forum then I would say its not of much value in the forum as a whole which is really about the DR.