New Spelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
For those of you that read Spanish, go to:

Castellano - La P?gina del Idioma Espa?ol = El Castellano - Etimolog?a - Lengua espa?ola

If you don't read Spanish:

Ch and ll will lose their place in the alphabet.

Y (I griega) will now be known as ye.

quorum will be spelled: cuorum

Qu?sares: Cu?sar

Iraq will be Irak

Qatar will be Catar

The Academy permits the above names to be written with q, but using the bastardilla font to indicate that they are crude “extranjerismos” (foreign words) and not terms from our language.

The prefix ex needs not to be separated: expresidente and not ex-presidente or ex presidente.

Letter o needs not to be accentuated when placed between numbers:
4 o 5 and not 4 ? 5.

There are other changes; I am too tired now -thanks to the Academy (RAE)

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Very interesting and the author was, let us say, not all that approving of some of the changes. It was sort of a grudging acceptance.

With a snide reference to English included...

Ending with, "Oh well"....

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ending with, "Oh well"....

HB

Menos mal is more like "just as well", "thank goodness" or "that's a relief" - he was reacting to the Academia's rare display of flexibility in some cases where the tilde is optional - at least that's how I understood it.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As far as the "y" goes it seems people here call it "i" minuscula o mayuscala but I'm never sure which. Also, I assume "ye" is pronounced as it appears?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
So wait... does this mean the double el is going away? Or it just won't be considered a "letter" in the alphabet?

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
As far as the "y" goes it seems people here call it "i" minuscula o mayuscala but I'm never sure which. Also, I assume "ye" is pronounced as it appears?

yes, ye sounds as it appears. The mexican Academy was the one in favor of it.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
So wait... does this mean the double el is going away? Or it just won't be considered a "letter" in the alphabet?

No longer a separate letter in the alphabet. A word that begins with this letter will have its corresponding place with letter L in the dictionary:

lata, leche, lindo, lluvia, loco, luna

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
More on that summit meeting of the minds (Comisi?n Interacad?mica de la Asociaci?n de Academias de la Lengua Espa?ola)

Some of these changes are already becoming controversial in Spain and in Latin America. A Spanish writer was quoted in a Spanish newspaper as saying, "I will write as it pleases me."

All these changes will be ratified on the 28th of November in Guadalajara, Mexico and will appear in a 800-page book that will be out by December of this year: Ortograf?a de la lengua espa?ola (800 pages!)

Change: No accent mark on the adverb solo. (only)
Previously we were told to place the accent mark when there was room for misunderstanding: Quiero ir s?lo a Cuba. Quiero ir solo a Cuba. (I want to go only to Cuba. I want to go alone to Cuba.)

Change: letter V should be called uve.

change: W should be called Doble uve only.

Change: Lower case s to designate plurals on abbreviations (as in DVD’s, ONG’s) will no longer be used.

I will keep you informed. (I am reading different articles.)

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Regarding the 'c' and 'll' ----

This information came out early last week and I read it and thought that it was interesting but will evolve overtime (for the most part) meaning people implementing the changes.

The c and ll have been unofficial letters since 1994. However, the RAE is notorious for taking years to 'officially' approve changes to the language. This was agreed upon among the various academies affiliated to the RAE since 1994. If you look at dictionaries printed after that year, the vast majority have eliminated the c and ll as official letters. I have many dictionaries and some have c and ll as separate letters and some don't. All the RAE is doing now is making it official.

The other changes will evolve slowly in my opinion. Even though all the aforementioned changes will be official by year end, I think it will take time for people to adapt to them. My observations over the past few decades is that the way to say b, v , w and i has always varied throughout the Spanish-speaking world. Depending on where a person is from and/ or where one learned Spanish, who taught them etc influenced the way people say a few of the letters in Spanish. In my opinion, /y/ should remain as i griega as it refers to its origin whereas for me the letter /i/ has always been i latina, again a direct reference to the origin of the letter. I do agree with the article (the one I read) that the letter changes will be hardest for Latin Americans to adapt to and in my opinion this is because it's a region with a lot variations in the language in general, the alphabet aside.

Espa?ol estrena nueva ortograf?a, 2 letras menos - AOL Noticias

-MP.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/apktSiW8kiI?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/apktSiW8kiI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Yes I do----

.... but what are your thoughts on the matter?

One aspect about language that makes learning interesting and intriguing is discovering some of these answers to your own queries. Also, you may find answers to other related questions you may have.

Have you done any research at all about the letter /h/ in Spanish and if so what have you found?

Just wondering.

-MP.

anyone know why there is an h - apart from for using with h?mster

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
ive never understood why any language has silent letters.....the nuances dont exite me I just want to be understood

and I say hotel and herbs with an aitch not a haitch lol ( not otel and erbs)

May 29, 2006
I only got a couple of the jokes in the song but it's pretty funny from what I can get. The lyrics would be a good Spanish lesson!

I don't think people are going to give up "igrega" as "ye" any time soon, any more than the Brits are going to stop saying "zed" instead of saying "zee".

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Good article in El Mundo.es----

El mundo de la literatura se resiste a los cambios en la ortograf?a

Some of the literary greats from Spain have spoken. There's seems to be a general consensus about these upcoming changes to the alphabet that will be made official by the RAE by November 28th, 2010.

It seems like 'y' (i griega) being changed to 'ye' is the biggest 'manzana de la discordia' so to speak. I mentioned in my first post that i griega should not be changed and maybe once the twenty-two academies meet again to go through the final changes this one will not be approved.

As well, I agree with the authors who think that the accent on 's?lo', (meaning solamente) should not be changed as well as words 'like 'gui?n', 'hu?', 'truh?n', 'fi?' o 'le?' definitely should be and remain accented.

El mundo de la literatura se resiste a los cambios en la ortografa | Cultura | elmundo.es

BTW- Soledad Pu?rtolas and Juan Jos? Mill?s are really good writers from Spain. Their literature is highly recommended.

-MP.

Status
Not open for further replies.