New Street Parking Regimen (Starts Sept 26, 2022)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A new video was placed on the INTRANT Tweeter account. Beware that a new street parking regimen will start tomorrow. Cars parked on the boxes with an X are suppose to be towed to a central place on Tiradentes in Naco. The car will be given back to the owner onces he pays the parking fine.

The video includes a list of all the streets this new regimen will begin. If it's successful, expect for this to be expanded citywide and maybe nationwide.

Last edited:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I hope it works, but cars aren't supposed to park where the curb is painted yellow and that's not strictly enforced. They really need to crack down on illegal parking here in Cabarete. If a space isn't big enough, the driver will just pull the vehicle into it at a 45-degree angle with the front end over the sidewalk and the rear end sticking out into traffic. The worst is the double parking. The driver will just park in the middle of the street, get out of the car, and go to the store to get what he needs - usually the liquor store in Cabarete. You see this often there. Meanwhile, there's frequently a parking space open less than 20 yards before or after the liquor store.

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I hope it works, but cars aren't supposed to park where the curb is painted yellow and that's not strictly enforced. They really need to crack down on illegal parking here in Cabarete. If a space isn't big enough, the driver will just pull the vehicle into it at a 45-degree angle with the front end over the sidewalk and the rear end sticking out into traffic. The worst is the double parking. The driver will just park in the middle of the street, get out of the car, and go to the store to get what he needs - usually the liquor store in Cabarete. You see this often there. Meanwhile, there's frequently a parking space open less than 20 yards before or after the liquor store.
Sounds very Dominican 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
8E45A6B8-B285-42E5-8347-7AE627D28F95.jpeg

If snyone is affected by having their vehicle towed due to violating "Parquéate Bien," you have to present the following in order to get your csr back.

- 2 copies of the registration.
- Copy of the cédula.
- Copy of the driver's license.
- Copy of the insurance policy.
- If it's not registered in your name, a copy the Legalized Sale Act.
- Copy of the cédula of the seller.
- If it's a commercial vehicle, a letter for DIGESETT.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't think this is going to change anything about what happens in Sosua/Cabarete or the north coast in general regarding parking.
Going all the way from Cabarete to Naco sure would be inconvenient.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
View attachment 6515

If snyone is affected by having their vehicle towed due to violating "Parquéate Bien," you have to present the following in order to get your csr back.

- 2 copies of the registration.
- Copy of the cédula.
- Copy of the driver's license.
- Copy of the insurance policy.
- If it's not registered in your name, a copy the Legalized Sale Act.
- Copy of the cédula of the seller.
- If it's a commercial vehicle, a letter for DIGESETT.
A new buerocracia

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
We need one copy for this guy and another copy for the guy in charge of these things.
Everybody knows what’s going to happen for a foreigner trying to get his car back. It will be impossible until

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
They are really dead set on eliminating people who purchase vehicles then don't finish the registration process.(i.e.to avoid paying taxes)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's a good point....

Many DR occupants (legal or otherwise) regularly try to beat the system...
be it overstay, fine payments, tax payments, you name it

Almost like it takes a crook to catch a crook..... this gov't is trying ........ the public is not !!!

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
How difficult will it be for individuals to park correctly

It will take more time, more planning, maybe more walking (which some people could really use).
It is possible to completely avoid this new enforcement regimen (if indeed that is what it is)
If the parking situation where you need to go is tough...take inDriver or Uber and avoid the stress of driving and traffic.
Enough said.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I suppose each individual needs to make that decision for themselves.
I am not one to tell others how to live their lives or what is best...especially from outside of the Dominican Republic.
This this one situation that those who own vehicles can avoid with ease.
Reference is made to post #13

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I suppose each individual needs to make that decision for themselves.
I am not one to tell others how to live their lives or what is best...especially from outside of the Dominican Republic.
This this one situation that those who own vehicles can avoid with ease.
Reference is made to post #13
Ok. I lived over 15 years in the DR. For around 10 years I had a car. The last years there I decided it was best for me not to have a car. And it also had to do with slowly preparing to leave. Less and less burdens.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Ok. I lived over 15 years in the DR. For around 10 years I had a car. The last years there I decided it was best for me not to have a car. And it also had to do with slowly preparing to leave. Less and less burdens.
I have driven here once or twice in 4 + years. The risk/reward is not in my favor as a gringo. I've adapted fairly well to guaguas, ubers, and walking. As Vegas said earlier, we could all walk more. I've had a few mishaps but nothing serious to date. I've also saved a ton of $ not paying for a car, insurance, gas, and maintenance.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I understand your personal decision.
And I cannot/will not disagree or agree with it.
I have driven here once or twice in 4 + years. The risk/reward is not in my favor as a gringo. I've adapted fairly well to guaguas, ubers, and walking. As Vegas said earlier, we could all walk more. I've had a few mishaps but nothing serious to date. I've also saved a ton of $ not paying for a car, insurance, gas, and maintenance.
And that was the point I was trying to make in post #13.
Risk/reward
It seems like with the new parking enforcement doing what needs to be done to avoid running afoul of enforcers would seem to be the reward portion of the equation. Vehicle owners can handle this in two way:
1. Park right
2. Let someone else take you to your destination and avoid the driving/traffic/parking hassles completely.

Of course you can simply not own a car...but if you don't does this topic even concern you ❓
Or you own one you can sell it (which seems like an over reaction to a situation that is completely within your control).

I cannot make an argument for or against having a car in any country at this point in my life.
That is a personal as personal decisions get.
The advance development of ride hailing services during my lifetime has completely changed long held ideas that I held on car ownership. I read everyday that here in the Dominican Republic effort are being made to improve the public transportation system.

But if you own a vehicle you can choose to park it in such a way as to avoid parking violations.
Or you can parkhowyalike and take your chances.
Risk/Reward as @NanSanPedro pointed out to us.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hugo Beras claim the Parqueate Bien program has improved the traffic flow in the areas of Santo Domingo where it has been implemented.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The interview of Iván Ruíz to Hugo Beras (in Spanish) in Oct 22. Parquéate Bien is a major part of the explanation. Hugo Beras is the Director of INTRANT.

Reactions: JD Jones