New Travel Blog for the Deep South of DR

JimW

May 21, 2014
Note, about the two places to stay on the beach at Bahia de las Aguilas; Ecolodge Cueva de las Aguilas and Eco Del Mar, mentioned above...

I always stay at Cueva de las Aguilas and for the following personal reason. A few years ago the owner of the Eco Del Mar closed off the public road that goes along the shoreline to the National Park and bulldozed a new 'bypass'. It would appear that the reason was to make the road in front of his property "private" despite it being a public road for a long time. All of this was done very quickly and secretly. In fact, the land claims which the owner has asserted have a murky history.

Either way, I saw it personally not long after it occurred and to me, I found the whole circumstance under which it occured shady and unethical so refuse to stay there.

By contrast, the multiple times we've stayed at Cueva de las Aguilas my family and I have had a great time (in addition to it being closer to the entrance of the Park AND having a restaurant).

I'm not saying anyone reading this should make their choice based on my reason; it's a personal choice of course, but I just wanted to share this information so everyone can make their own choices with as much information as possible.

Here's an article about it: (use Google Translate if need it in English)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Before this gets out of hand, it most certainly is part of Pedernales Province. Let’s get back on topic please.

think I said that in post 22. It is wonderful that MA knows more about Pedernales than the OP, but her criticism is not very constructive. The area is wonderful, other than part of the long drive is monotonous through a long stretch of scrub forest/cactus. Bahia de las Aguilas is definitely worth the trip. Take your snorkel and mask.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Thank you, OP, for posting this. Great info, I for one enjoy info about this area.

kostas

Jan 18, 2023
Athens, Greece
Hi. Does anyone have an idea about the "road" conditions (2023 updated) from la cueva to playa de las aguilas? Gonna be there next and i don't know if a small rental car can make it to the end and back.

hazrae

Cliff & Cove
Aug 27, 2009
The Deep South
www.cliffandcove.com
Hi there! Our friends in Pedernales said that the road has been smoothed out a bit. It's not paved or anything, so it would be still be a slow, bumpy ride in a small rental car. If you get there, and you feel like it's going to be too difficult, opt for the scenic boat ride.

Reactions: kostas

kostas

Jan 18, 2023
Athens, Greece
Hi there! Our friends in Pedernales said that the road has been smoothed out a bit. It's not paved or anything, so it would be still be a slow, bumpy ride in a small rental car. If you get there, and you feel like it's going to be too difficult, opt for the scenic boat ride.
Thank you. Will be staying there for 5 days... if the boat ride isn't expensive, i will pick it. On the glamping ecolodge site, they offer good deals for the simple transfer option, but i guess it depends on the participation. For a single traveller like me, there is not much to negotiate.. especially since i am not familiar with Spanish. Maybe i do the hiking, bring back memories from my youth years...

Reactions: AlaPlaya