Newbie First Time in DR

4drian

Nov 15, 2022
London, England
Hey People,

I am travelling from London to DR for 2 weeks in March. I have a couple of questions so any input would be appreciated.

1. I am travelling in March so what's the weather like at that time of the year?
2. I will be staying near Piantini (Santo Domingo). How safe is it?
3. I train Muay Thai so if anyone can recommend a good gym, that would be amazing. If not, then a nice modern gym recommendation please.
4. I want to take advantage of my time in DR so can someone point me in the right direction to get a Spanish tutor? I have been learning Spanish on and off (lazy).
5. What is Dominican dating culture like and is Tinder the go-to over there?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Hey People,

I am travelling from London to DR for 2 weeks in March. I have a couple of questions so any input would be appreciated.

1. I am travelling in March so what's the weather like at that time of the year?
2. I will be staying near Piantini (Santo Domingo). How safe is it?
3. I train Muay Thai so if anyone can recommend a good gym, that would be amazing. If not, then a nice modern gym recommendation please.
4. I want to take advantage of my time in DR so can someone point me in the right direction to get a Spanish tutor? I have been learning Spanish on and off (lazy).
5. What is Dominican dating culture like and is Tinder the go-to over there?
I am a member of Smart Fit. For one gym it's 22USD/month. For all the 15 or so gyms in the capital, It's about 33USD/month. They are the equivalent of Planet Fitness. They don't have a pool. I am very happy with them but they're not into specialty stuff like Muay Thai.

Weather will be starting to turn warm, but it should stay under 32C.

Regarding safety, don't wear any bling and don't flaunt money - ever. Remain low key and you should be fine. I can't comment on Piantini specifically but my recommendation is for most of the DR.

My kid could tutor you in Spanish if you wanted. He's Haitian but is fluent.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Piantini is a good area/one of the better areas. Like anywhere else be aware of your surroundings, you should be just fine.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
1. March will be uncomfortably hot.
2. Piantini is one of the wealthiest areas of the city. You won’t be able to walk around flashing stuff or alone at night. Muggings occur there just like everywhere else. Be smart and you’ll have no trouble.
3. Santo Domingo has almost everything, but like anywhere else you may have to do some groundwork to find a place that suits you.
Beforehand, Google is your friend.
MEJORES ACADEMIAS PARA APRENDER MUAY THAI EN SANTO DOMINGO CERCA DE MI, ABREN HOY
4. Take Nan’s offer. Go on social media or ask around when you get there. I doubt it will be difficult to find someone.
4 &5. If you are interested in flings, likely no difficulty there regardless of your appearance. If you want to date someone of substance, I know a young British/Dominican couple that met on Hello Talk. Both educated professionals.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Tinder is definitely NOT the go in the DR because there appear to have been a string of assaults and worse associated with dating sites that are used by visitors to the DR. There are a number of safer dating sites but they are all in Spanish . It will be rather difficult for you to meet an educated Dominicana in just two weeks . If you are reasonably young and reasonably good looking I think some girls in the shopping malls may cruise you but there is always a price!!
As for a gym, I saw a very large one on the second level of Galeria 360 which is just over the road from Piantini on J F Kennedy . If you can understand English grammar then you will learn some Spanish phrases quite quickly because they tend to be repeated .

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
As for a gym, I saw a very large one on the second level of Galeria 360..
I believe that's Golds Gym. I'm not into gyms I use the gym on the road, but upstairs on Galeria 360 is (used to be) GG. The Santo Domingo folks can correct me If I'm wrong here. I believe Golds Gym worldwide ran into some financial issues during the pandemic and was bought by a German. Galeria 360 is nice.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
There is also the Body Shop Gym which has/had locations in Naco and Bella Vista.

4drian

Nov 15, 2022
London, England
Thanks for all the feedback guys! much appreciated. I have actually found a solution to my Spanish problem. I am not sure if any of you are familiar with a platform called iTalki. I managed to find a teacher on there to brush up on my Spanish.

@Kipling333 Thanks for the heads-up on the Tinder.

In any case I am sure I will be fine. I am 6ft 4 and train regularly. Being my size comes with certain privileges lol

rey

Jan 2, 2007
I am a member of Smart Fit. For one gym it's 22USD/month. For all the 15 or so gyms in the capital, It's about 33USD/month. They are the equivalent of Planet Fitness. They don't have a pool. I am very happy with them but they're not into specialty stuff like Muay Thai.

Weather will be starting to turn warm, but it should stay under 32C.

Regarding safety, don't wear any bling and don't flaunt money - ever. Remain low key and you should be fine. I can't comment on Piantini specifically but my recommendation is for most of the DR.

My kid could tutor you in Spanish if you wanted. He's Haitian but is fluent.
Good morning to all of y’all fine people

Nansanoedro regarding your comment “ DO NOT WEAR ANY BLING / JEWERLY - EVER ; I have being researching the culture and the currents events via INSTAGRAM and I notice In the Dominicans makes the Males love to wear gold chains and rings and bracelet specially IF Not specific at the DISCOTECAS …. Why do they do that ? Don’t they know that it’s Dangerous ?? Anyone may feel free to answer /reply

Thank you

• Haha
Reactions: Peterj

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Nansanoedro regarding your comment “ DO NOT WEAR ANY BLING / JEWERLY - EVER ; I have being researching the culture and the currents events via INSTAGRAM and I notice In the Dominicans makes the Males love to wear gold chains and rings and bracelet specially IF Not specific at the DISCOTECAS …. Why do they do that ? Don’t they know that it’s Dangerous ?? Anyone may feel free to answer /reply
The difference is they are Dominicans, not tourists, and are in their own element. You're from Yonkers as I recall. You can manage Getty Square at night better than someone from Kansas. Aside from that, I wouldn't rely on social media for an accurate portrayal of Dominican culture. Maybe the sub-culture if that's your thing.

Reactions: rey

rey

Jan 2, 2007
The difference is they are Dominicans, not tourists, and are in their own element. You're from Yonkers as I recall. You can manage Getty Square at night better than someone from Kansas. Aside from that, I wouldn't rely on social media for an accurate portrayal of Dominican culture. Maybe the sub-culture if that's your thing.
Great answer , for real

On that same note , One more question …what is the deal with popping bottles and the waiters bringing the bottle with a sparkling candle 🌟? Why does the whole discoteca needs to know what you drinking and how expensive it is? IS that a culture thing ? DONT get me wrong i only ask cause I don’t want to offend the waitress when I insist on NOT having sparkling candles ⚡️ on my table

PS. I LOVE THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Great answer , for real

On that same note , One more question …what is the deal with popping bottles and the waiters bringing the bottle with a sparkling candle 🌟? Why does the whole discoteca needs to know what you drinking and how expensive it is? IS that a culture thing ? DONT get me wrong i only ask cause I don’t want to offend the waitress when I insist on NOT having sparkling candles ⚡️ on my table

I think we all love D.R. or we wouldn't be here! As for the candle and bottle thing, I have no idea.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Dominicans get robbed too. My husband’s brother had a gold chain ripped off his neck while at a light in Santo Domingo (since then, no one in the family ever drives with an open window).

When we go to DR, we leave all our nice gold jewelry home. We each wear a plain gold wedding band and a watch. I have some silver necklaces and earrings I keep there.

The guys with the bling are a different breed.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Great answer , for real

It has nothing to do with how much a bottle cost, or show off what you are drinking.. The sparkling candles are placed in the bottle as a sign that someone is celebrating a birthday. The sparkling candles is certainly better than the other custom in pouring a glass of water over the head of the birthday person, especially if its a lady who has spent 4 hours in a salon that day. 😱

rey

Jan 2, 2007
It has nothing to do with how much a bottle cost, or show off what you are drinking.. The sparkling candles are placed in the bottle as a sign that someone is celebrating a birthday. The sparkling candles is certainly better than the other custom in pouring a glass of water over the head of the birthday person, especially if its a lady who has spent 4 hours in a salon that day. 😱
Thank you for your comment

BUT you are way OFF ,

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Great answer , for real

And where did you see that? Are you watching 'tamochillin' videos?

Yes, it's a cultural thing. Hookahs too!

Last edited:
Reactions: rey and keepcoming

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Great answer , for real

I don't think many posters here are regular disco-goers! However, I've only seen the candle thing done elsewhere for birthdays.

• Haha
Reactions: AlaPlaya